Sign in to follow this  
FIBAMAN

Things to look out for

I am considering buying second hand 530d SE possibly X drive, from about 17 onwards. Any tips about things to look for; I had E39 model before so some things look a bit familiar but they have moved on considerably since then

There are a lot of familiarities between the G30 and the E39, which I like very much.  
For your own convenience try and get a car with the following:

Icon headlights, apoarently much better than standard, the adaptive LED is very good. 

HK, or above, sound system, if you get one with hi-fi it’s still fairly easily upgradable with aftermarket equipment, if you get base audio, then it’s a bit more challenging to upgrade the sound system. 
Reversing camera, not essential but good to have.
Otherwise, not sure if the 3.0d was affected but there was a recall for the EGR cooler so make sure that was done if it applies.  

You can check the service history of the car via idrive on these cars - no actual service book. 

18 hours ago, ally said:

There are a lot of familiarities between the G30 and the E39, which I like very much.  
For your own convenience try and get a car with the following:

Icon headlights, apoarently much better than standard, the adaptive LED is very good. 

HK, or above, sound system, if you get one with hi-fi it’s still fairly easily upgradable with aftermarket equipment, if you get base audio, then it’s a bit more challenging to upgrade the sound system. 
Reversing camera, not essential but good to have.
Otherwise, not sure if the 3.0d was affected but there was a recall for the EGR cooler so make sure that was done if it applies.  

You can check the service history of the car via idrive on these cars - no actual service book. 

Thanks Ally, just missed a good contender at John Clark in Aberdeen a couple of weeks ago, too slow in getting finances in order.

Could just fancy a trip up, got lots of old friends in the area.

1 hour ago, FIBAMAN said:

Thanks Ally, just missed a good contender at John Clark in Aberdeen a couple of weeks ago, too slow in getting finances in order.

Could just fancy a trip up, got lots of old friends in the area.

You’re welcome.  I actually got mines from John Clark Dundee, so always worth a look. 
I’m sure others will have more things to look out for.