Sign in to follow this  
Phill20d

Leaving the G30 fold

Now I have retired and we only need one car, my wife needs a mId size SUV for easy access, so last weekend we put a deposit down on a March 21 X3 M Sport with loads of extras, and got a great trade in price on my car which meant I only lost £3,400 over two years of ownership. Going to miss the G30 a car which does everything well. Stay safe guys

Edited by Phill20d

We are likely to be in your position in a couple of years going down to one car. Most likely to be another touring (but smaller 3 series) or an X1 or X3 

Let us know how you get on the with X3 and how it compares with the G30.

1 hour ago, E39mad said:

We are likely to be in your position in a couple of years going down to one car. Most likely to be another touring (but smaller 3 series) or an X1 or X3 

I had considered a G21 for the next car, but the quality of the cabin, the ride and road noise puts me off. 

I had a G21 loan car for a week. Very nice car but as soon as I was back in my G31 I notice the difference in ride and space. I have driven a friends X3 and if felt like I was just driving a tall G31. 

3 hours ago, Stressed said:

You're not really leaving. X3 is a tall G31!

That’s exactly what I am hoping 

3 hours ago, E39mad said:

Don’t even contemplate the X1 we both sat in it and jumped out. Horrid 

I will give a full run down end of Sep as we are going up north so I will have done a variety of journeys 

Standard seats in the X1 are quite poor I find, the lower seat seems a bit too small. The sports seats are far better. Otherwise I found it surprisingly nice to drive, in a hands-on sort of way. It's obviously not in the same price bracket as a 5 series so there will be some steps backward in terms of materials used etc.

On 06/08/2021 at 12:23, Phill20d said:

Don’t even contemplate the X1 we both sat in it and jumped out. Horrid 

I will give a full run down end of Sep as we are going up north so I will have done a variety of journeys 

I had an X1 as a courtesy car for a couple of days when I still had my G30, and unfortunately had to drive it to Glasgow and back from Newcastle. BMW should be ashamed to put their badge on that car, it was awful in every way. Never experienced so much road noise on anything ever…even my mum’s Skoda Fabia was quieter! 

2 hours ago, Back2Beemer said:

I had an X1 as a courtesy car for a couple of days when I still had my G30, and unfortunately had to drive it to Glasgow and back from Newcastle. BMW should be ashamed to put their badge on that car, it was awful in every way. Never experienced so much road noise on anything ever…even my mum’s Skoda Fabia was quieter! 

Which engine did you have. I have heard that refinement particularly  in the diesel is poor. I would be after the 2.0i petrol engine and be prepared to add sound insulation in the doors and bonnet. Would not have one without sports seats. Size wise it works for us but we will see.

32 minutes ago, E39mad said:

Which engine did you have. I have heard that refinement particularly  in the diesel is poor. I would be after the 2.0i petrol engine and be prepared to add sound insulation in the doors and bonnet. Would not have one without sports seats. Size wise it works for us but we will see.

If the door vapour barriers are anything like the G30, then it’s not so easy to add sound deadening to the doors, I wanted to add to mines (G30) when adding aftermarket speakers, but wan wasn’t able to remove the vapour barrier on its own as it incorporates the window mechanism - not saying it can’t be done but was enough to stop me there. 

3 hours ago, E39mad said:

It was a 18i sDrive. Engine noise wasn’t the issue, it was tyre roar and wind noise that were horrendous. I’d honestly look at other brands if you’re only wanting to look at that sort of size. 

The beauty of the latest X3 creation is it does share some 5 series materials and tec Ie MHT it drives really nice and with the Adaptive Suspension which I will have, the car rides beautifully.  I think I will be happy with the X3 

This is very Interesting as honestly I’ve no idea where to go, from my 530dx .. I mean I’d love a M550i but with petrol prices due to break £2 a litre by H2 2023 (latest fuel cost forecasts) and me doing 20k a year, it’s a pipe dream.

To change to the same spec model I have in a LCI would be easily 30k, which for basically is just different head & tail lights isn’t appealing, it makes more sense to just keep my G30 until the new new 5 series comes out.

I wasn’t impressed with the G20 and the X5 is a big beast of a thing, I had assumed the X3 was closer to a G20 than a G30.

However from what am seeing you lot feel the X3 is closer to the G30, then the X3 M40d could be a very interesting option.

On a side note, I was super impressed with the f40 and have one on order for the mrs and did toy with a M135i lol

Edited by Jonny2400

8 hours ago, Jonny2400 said:

This is very Interesting as honestly I’ve no idea where to go, from my 530dx .. I mean I’d love a M550i but with petrol prices due to break £2 a litre by H2 2023 (latest fuel cost forecasts) and me doing 20k a year, it’s a pipe dream.

To change to the same spec model I have in a LCI would be easily 30k, which for basically is just different head & tail lights isn’t appealing, it makes more sense to just keep my G30 until the new new 5 series comes out.

I wasn’t impressed with the G20 and the X5 is a big beast of a thing, I had assumed the X3 was closer to a G20 than a G30.

However from what am seeing you lot feel the X3 is closer to the G30, then the X3 M40d could be a very interesting option.

On a side note, I was super impressed with the f40 and have one on order for the mrs and did toy with a M135i lol

I switched from a G31 540i to a X3 M40i and to be honest was the best thing I have done. In so many ways its as close to a G30/G31 you can get, but in my opinion the following works better for me:

Sounds better, higher driving position, easier to get in and out, a more practical boot shape, slightly firmer ride, better steering, faster off the line/acceleration, acoustic glass.

What do I miss in the G31:

Steering wheel automatically raises when switching off the engine, easier to clean the roof

I am picking the X3 up next Thursday so will report back at the end of the month as we will have done a few miles long distance and local

23 hours ago, Phill20d said:

I am picking the X3 up next Thursday so will report back at the end of the month as we will have done a few miles long distance and local

Sounds good, what engine did you order ?

On 03/09/2021 at 20:50, Jonny2400 said:

Sounds good, what engine did you order ?

The 2.0d it’s the one that will fit our needs. We are both retired and want to do some traveling in Scotland and into France when we get back to normal