Black

BMW Stopping Wheel Storage

Just got contacted by my dealer to say BMW UK are stopping the winter wheel storage service at the end of the year.

On my past cars I used to just store my wheels at home but with the more expensive BMW summer alloys I liked the reassurance and ease of not having them in my garage or shed.

Anyone else been contacted? I am going to complain although know it will be futile.

Wait, so you just stored your wheels at the dealership? Didn’t even know that that was a service they offered! 

8 hours ago, sjak92 said:

Wait, so you just stored your wheels at the dealership? Didn’t even know that that was a service they offered! 

My exact thoughts too!

I was going to say you should just get an xDrive then noticed you have got one already? 

The kids were desperate to go sledging a few miles away last year, it was before we had the G31 (our first 4x4) & the E39 was in bits. I have had winters on the E39 for a few years now & really liked having them, so reluctantly dug out the old snow socks (I think they were called) as a backup & headed out in the 335i telling them we probably wouldn't get out of the drive. It has got brand new Dunlop non runflats but still 19"s, I was amazed it didn't slip about at all, I had to try to make the traction control kick in at all. I'm wondering if the newer tread patterns or compounds are better on snow now, we've always had BMWs (20+ years) they used to be terrible in the snow. 

We get such odd weather now there was very early snow last year & the E39 still had very well used summers on, not far off the minimum depth, it was sliding about quite a bit but still didn't get stuck.

Friends with xDrives have been raving about being able to drive in the snow for a few years, maybe you could give up on the winter tyres now? 

Yep a friend of mine has used the BMW Wheel Hotel for the past 10 or so years and when I bought my first set of winter wheels for the 6GT in 2018 I toyed with the idea but my lack of trust in these people to take car of my expensive investment in wheels, I am now storing them in a garage loft close by.

xDrive plus winter wheels make for extremely sure footed driving in the northern French Alps.

2026318747_640iIntheSnow.jpg.d79298fef395f3ce44642d684c7c8f81.jpg

Edited by Matthew Ashton

13 hours ago, Black said:

but with the more expensive BMW summer alloys I liked the reassurance

BMW wheel price is more expensive than other brand but the wheel itself does not have much more differences than the cheaper brand. Also, I don't think dealer gives more reassurance than store in shed/garage. Each time I swap the wheels, I just give the removed one a deep wash then put some spray on wax to the metal part and some tyre gel to the rubber part. Then, I simply store them in the shed. 

51 minutes ago, Andyrt200 said:

Friends with xDrives have been raving about being able to drive in the snow for a few years

xDrive let you start moving in the snow but with summer tyre, once it starts moving, it's harder to stop or control the car unless the speed is very low. As Matthew said, xDrive + winter tyre is the best. However, if I can only have one of the two, I will choose winter tyre over xDrive. Overall, if I can not control or stop the car, I would prefer not to drive the car in those situation.

1 hour ago, q96169we said:

xDrive let you start moving in the snow but with summer tyre, once it starts moving, it's harder to stop or control the car unless the speed is very low. As Matthew said, xDrive + winter tyre is the best. However, if I can only have one of the two, I will choose winter tyre over xDrive. Overall, if I can not control or stop the car, I would prefer not to drive the car in those situation.

xDrive + winter tyres would certainly be by far the best option, if you do a lot of driving in the snow on skiing holidays etc it's well worth it (we always fly out though). The only problem is you can stop just fine with the winters on but no one else in the UK with their summers on can, so you could end up getting rear ended if you're not careful! I get exactly what you're saying about control, but if you very quickly adjust your driving style to the conditions, new summer tyres do seem to be a little better on BMs these days in snow. 

Annoyingly the G cars have a different stud pattern to all previous BMWs so I can't use any of my old spare wheels. I wasn't going to get any winter tyres this year at least & try a winter with just xDrive for the very few days we actually have snow. I had to go out on purpose the first year with the snow tyres just to try them on the one day that year we actually had snow. They were amazing, you could drive perfectly normally on snow but turn off the traction & it's still very controllable sideways at low speeds. We didn't get the G31 because it has xDrive, we got it because it's a 540i & you have no choice, you have to have xDrive with them!  

Of course it depends on your usage, if you have to commute a good distance in the BM to every day, winter tyres are probably still the best bet. We both work from home & now everything is geared up for zoom or teams the need to go out at all is greatly reduced. 

4 hours ago, Andyrt200 said:

Friends with xDrives have been raving about being able to drive in the snow for a few years, maybe you could give up on the winter tyres now? 

I have a full set of wheels which I swap over.

Seeing my neighbours X5 getting stuck on a snowy incline convinced me I needed both.

In reality with working from home now really not  such a big deal if I do get stuck but as someone else said it is the steering and stopping where they really make a difference.

5 hours ago, Andyrt200 said:

My exact thoughts too!

I was going to say you should just get an xDrive then noticed you have got one already?

It’s not just about xDrive or 4WD when it comes to winter. 
xDrive or 4WD will get you going and may drive the car out of deep snow, but won’t keep you on the road any more than any other car, that’s where winter tyres come in.
We don’t really see that much snow here in the winter, but we see plenty of cold wet weather, which is where the winter tyres, or all weather tyres come in to their own. 
Especially at temperatures of 7°c or less, that is when the softer compounds become more useful. 
I would even go so far as to say my RWD, with winter tyres on in the winter, is safer than any 4WD with summer tyres on. 

Is renting some space at one of these storage places an option? You can get ventilated storage with insurance for not alot. Plus you'll be able to access whenever required and use any additional space to stash other car parts you may want to hide from the mrs!

20 hours ago, sanjx said:

Is renting some space at one of these storage places an option? You can get ventilated storage with insurance for not alot. Plus you'll be able to access whenever required and use any additional space to stash other car parts you may want to hide from the mrs!

When I rented storage for an office move a couple of years ago there was a specific clause in the contract prohibiting the storage of Tyres in the lock-up.

Edited by Matthew Ashton

On 05/08/2021 at 10:35, Mr H said:

Yep, I've had that letter too. I've used them as I don't have the space at home readily to hand. The bit in the letter I loved was:

image.png.70797a0b2e4d73571935ac2fa1e33d13.png

And by scrap they mean sell on eBay as many dealership do nowadays! Haha

On 05/08/2021 at 18:27, Matthew Ashton said:

When I rented storage for an office move a couple of years ago there was a specific clause in the contract prohibiting the storage of Tyres in the lock-up.

Maybe it relates to inflated tyre, deflated maybe acceptable?

For those with storage issues moving onto all season tyres could be an option. I have Michellin Crossclimates on the F11 and they are brilliant for the climate where I am in the foothills of the Cheshire Peak District. 

I used to have a set of winters on different alloys but decided when both were worn to go down one route and do not regret it at all. Used to have winters for the E39s too so know all about winter tyre qualities - these all seasons are not far behind in the snow but are great in the summer too. Tyre technology has come a long way in the last 5 years.

Edited by E39mad

My winter tyres home, had a small shed made with space for them as didn’t want them in my garage taking up space.

while I currently have 18 inch winter set up and 20 inch summer, once my winter tyres are worn out. They will be replaced with cross climates all season tyres, which I feel are safer option in the UK, due to how variable our weather is over winter, in a single week you can experience -1c and then 2 days later it is 14c, before dropping back to 3c two days after that again.

I certainly notice at above 12c my pure winter tyres don’t feel as stable as I would like at motorway speeds.

On my F10 RWD I ran cross climates for a whole year, amazing in snow / ICE and also great in the sun on 22c days, brilliant tyre. 

93166B39-6F2B-4A0F-A5D7-DFBDB3BAC5B3.jpeg

thats a neat, dedicated to tyres shed.  Mine is multipurpose :)

Its hard to say about winter tyres , it depends on how you drive. Possibly it doesnt get cold enough in this country

I was thinking about Uniroyal Rain Expert 3 or Rain Sport 3, that provide both directional and asymmetrical tread patterns .. The biggest problem is the wet, and that may not always be in the winter

How to fit your RainSport 3 tyres (uniroyal.co.uk)

winter_tyres_comp_2.jpg

Here's a good comparison for those considering all weather tyres - Michelin no longer appear to be at the top in this game:

https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/features/92863/best-all-season-tyres-2020-top-all-weather-tyres-tested-and-reviewed/verdict-results-category

35 minutes ago, E39mad said:

Here's a good comparison for those considering all weather tyres - Michelin no longer appear to be at the top in this game:

https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/features/92863/best-all-season-tyres-2020-top-all-weather-tyres-tested-and-reviewed/verdict-results-category

the article seems to be suggesting that all -seasons are for SUVs. There is always a compromise

With the popularity of SUVs, where sharp handling isn’t a priority, and our more extreme weather, there’s no ignoring the new-found importance of all-season tyres. 

Understand the SUV comment however I for one cannot tell any difference between the previous tyres and the current all season tyres on my F11. 

It's not a track car nor does it do constant 120mph on the autobahn.

I doubt the majority of UK road users would notice any difference at all in everything but a highly focused road car. Electric steering and the like have robbed us of steering feedback anyway.

1 hour ago, E39mad said:

doubt the majority of UK road users would notice any difference at all in everything but a highly focused road car. Electric steering and the like have robbed us of steering feedback anyway.

To a point, but you’d need to be pretty insensitive not to feel the difference between grip and slip, or notice whether you were keeping a line or under/over steering whether you’ve power assistance or not. A lot depends on your use I guess, for instance I’m far more often on B and C roads than joining the motorway crocodiles.

I agree with Boba. After driving with CrossClimate on my F10 for 3 years, I switched back to performance-biased summer tyre (goodyear eagle f1 asymmetric 3) earlier this year. After the switch, I can instantly feel the difference. It's not about the level of grip or anything like that which you need to drive hard to tell the difference. It's the way the car turns after the steering input. The car responses noticeble faster to the steering input on (as Boba said) B road with the speed well below the limit.

Just to clarify myself, I'm not saying CrossClimate is bad. I used that for 3 years/ 35k miles and found it is indeed very suitable for UK if you don't really care about the extra response or grip in the summer, neither do you want the best grip during those certain white days in a year. If one is looking for a dependable and convenient tyre option in UK, CrossClimate is the one to go for. However, I won't switch back as I got a set of winter wheels for my G31 and the grip level in snow/ice is much better than CrossClimate. Plus, I live in the Peak and need the extra snow grip to handle the hills. So do I want the extra fun in the summer.

Any time any product is designed to be all things to all people, there are compromises. That’s quite literally the point of this sort of tyre too; you’re buying one set that are good enough at everything to negate the need for ‘better’ dedicated winter and summer tyres. Above the very budget models, most tyres keep people on their intended course until they’re pushed a bit harder. 

I would lazily suggest that if you’re the sort of person who can judge the difference in tyre performance beyond normal speed limits and driving styles (ask your Mum to identify the apex of a roundabout…) you’re either aware enough to know the decision and compromise you’re making, or you’re not the intended customer.

For most folk, who drive badly and are distracted by all the other things going on around them (kids, other drivers annoying them, radio, phones, makeup, etc) they want a tyre that they don’t need to think about, which lets them go about their business in any condition.

On 05/08/2021 at 13:43, ally said:

It’s not just about xDrive or 4WD when it comes to winter. 
xDrive or 4WD will get you going and may drive the car out of deep snow, but won’t keep you on the road any more than any other car, that’s where winter tyres come in.
We don’t really see that much snow here in the winter, but we see plenty of cold wet weather, which is where the winter tyres, or all weather tyres come in to their own. 
Especially at temperatures of 7°c or less, that is when the softer compounds become more useful. 
I would even go so far as to say my RWD, with winter tyres on in the winter, is safer than any 4WD with summer tyres on. 

If you check out the tyrereviews youtube channel, it proves just how important winter tyres are (various videos proving it) - the results/video is a clear result.