Sign in to follow this  
rbm

Whistling sound wind noise cabin speed from 90 to 130 km/h - BMW 530D F11 (2010)

Hi all BMW drivers,

I fixed my cracking dashboard after removal (thanks all again!) but now I have another extremely annoying sound which is driving me crazy to the point that I would like to sell the car. Hopefully one of you guys have any idea how to fix this.

When I am driving on the highway I have a whistling sound in the cabin which is starting around 90 to 130 km/h. It sounds like it is coming from the wind because sometimes when I’m driving one way of the highway and turn around and drive the opposite way it's louder. It's seems to be the loudest in the upper right corner of the windscreen. Here is a movie of the sound sound starts around 10s (movie sound). I'm not sure whether the sound is there from the beginning I own the car (approximately 1 year).

After fixing a small leak of my thermostat by replacing the gasket and also replacing the drivebelt (because it had signs of wear) I noticed the sound. In the beginning I thought it would had something to do with the dismantling process with this replacement. So I repeated every step in this process and double checked everything but couldn’t detect any problems with loose seals or whatsoever. Remounted the under plate etc. Even drove without all the seals under the hood but still noticed the sound. And it doesn’t seem to come from the new drivebelt when increasing the engine speed without driving.

A couple of weeks before this I replaced a seal of my windscreen washer tank so I needed to remove the wheelarch trim on the right side. So I dismantled this again double checked everything, without any success sound still there.

I addition I tried several things without success:

• Duck taped all the seals of the front window
  • Duck taped all the seams of the front of the car (the complete hood)
  • Readjusted the height of the hood
  • When driving moved the outside mirrors around, sound doesn’t change
  • Taped the jacking points under the car
  • Removed the center part of the dashboard to listen but doesn’t seem to come from there
  • Moved the whipers around when driving, sound doesn’t change
  • Sprayed windscreen washer, sound doesn’t change
  • Opened the panorama roof sound seems to be still there and coming from outside, although hard to localize because of wind noise
  • Went to two BMW Experts
    • One remounted an air channel on the right side. Wasn’t the solution.
    • The other one suggested that it was coming from the front window something with the seal around it. So I went to two replacement company’s for front windows. They tested the window for leaks around it and were quite sure that the original window was still in the car, and that this isn’t the problem where the sound is coming from
  • Yesterday I brought it to the BMW dealer because it’s driving me nuts. They were telling me the problem was possibly from the panorama roof an recalibrated it electronically without any success. Than they were telling me the front part has to be a bit lower than the back but didn’t tried this because of the high costs already L So I tried re-calibrating it by loosening the screws. But I can still hear the sound outside the car.

Hopefully one of you recognizes the sound and knows a solution because I’m at the point of selling the car.

Thanks all for your effort hopefully I can tackle this annoying sound.

Hi I have had the wind whistle with my F10, I found that if i taped the gap between the front grill and bumper it has gone quiet, maybe give that a go? Picture below is the gap i am on about

image.png.ae257f2a01e4b4e570207cea948589ba.png

Edited by F10er

Hi F10er, Will try this tomorrow morning directly. Did you recognize the sound? Thanks for the tip!

Edited by rbm

I certainly do know what you mean, I started hearing it nearly 50 mph onwards so 80km ph sounds right. 

I started with taping like you did, i used some masking tape to cover the gaps i mentioned and it was gone however once i found what it was i didnt really do anything to fix it. 

have you tried turning the recirculation on? Could be wind speed coming through the vents when they're open and not on recirc?

@F10er Thanks a million! This is why I like these forums so much. I was literally already looking for another car because it was driving me nuts! I reply a little bit later because I wanted to know for sure that this is the solution, but I think it its! I taped around the kidneys a the sound was gone. Then I removed the lower the tape and the sound was still gone. Then the upper part and it started whistling again. After this I removed the kidneys and put some foam on the upper side of the bumper where the kidneys go inside. It was a bit hard to get them in but after fuddling around for a while I managed to get them in, and sound is still gone!  In addition I found this document of BMW (https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2016/MC-10147019-9999.pdf). It's exactly the solution you mentioned. Although my car is from end 2010 and in the document they are stating it's for F10 (5-Series) (LCI) from June 2013. 

Thanks again and hopefully someone else is also helped with your solution!

You're welcome! @rbm I am glad it worked for you, i ended up not fixing it as i was changing it. No one else would hear the noise, no one from BMW! I ended up finding it my self and gave the same info i gave to you and they still didn't fix it.

My mrs wouldn't hear it either, thought i was hearing something wasn't there :) Glad you replied i can go prove that I wasnt going nuts! :)