jimboe39

Jacking Points

So, went looking for any rust today on the cars jacking points, had a look at both nearside ones and what a nice surprise, they look great! Checked the inner parts and they look good also. What a relief. Put some protection all over the areas and buttoned up the panels.  going to check the off side in the next day or two, fingers crossed.

DSC_0045.JPG

DSC_0047.JPG

Fingers crossed for you. Near side, mine look like that. Offside a totally different story. Rear one is gone but front one ok but damaged by useless tyre guys not using the jacking point!!

309FDB4B-0FFA-4979-8B9D-7065542F4EFE.jpeg

88F9DC6D-C4A2-47A5-9347-3C8CCF79C305.jpeg

11 hours ago, jimboe39 said:

So, went looking for any rust today on the cars jacking points, had a look at both nearside ones and what a nice surprise, they look great! Checked the inner parts and they look good also. What a relief. Put some protection all over the areas and buttoned up the panels.  going to check the off side in the next day or two, fingers crossed.

DSC_0045.JPG

DSC_0047.JPG

They look spot on! Have they been done in the past do you know?

All mine got cleaned and undersealed recently and were spotless also; but that was to be expected TBH

jackpads7.jpg

I fitted new pads too:

jackpads6.jpg

As far as I know and can tell by looking at them they have never been touched or welded before. Will see what the offside ones look like shortly.  Been all over the car doing a structural survey and only found some paint lifting inside the fuel door which looks like fuel has done the damage and not rust. The boot lid is clean around the key hole so had all the panels off and protected the inside of that too. The wheel arches are all clean with no sign of rust,  would anyone recommend taking the arch liners out and treating in there?? ( I know Dan has done something along those lines on his touring but we know how particular he is about his beloved ) Not taken them out before and it look like a PITA job. Also anywhere else that you guys have come across that the rust bugs make themselves at home?

Cheers

9 minutes ago, jimboe39 said:

As far as I know and can tell by looking at them they have never been touched or welded before. Will see what the offside ones look like shortly.  Been all over the car doing a structural survey and only found some paint lifting inside the fuel door which looks like fuel has done the damage and not rust. The boot lid is clean around the key hole so had all the panels off and protected the inside of that too. The wheel arches are all clean with no sign of rust,  would anyone recommend taking the arch liners out and treating in there?? ( I know Dan has done something along those lines on his touring but we know how particular he is about his beloved ) Not taken them out before and it look like a PITA job. Also anywhere else that you guys have come across that the rust bugs make themselves at home?

Cheers

:lol: Moi?! :mrgreen:

For me it's all about keeping the cars value as high as I can; if/when I come to sell it, I want it to be about the best out there but also in the condition that it's in currently ;)

Re arch liners; very easy to take off; just bolts and centre-pin clips that you'll need to replace (a few £ off eBay): 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/172735798564?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

But; beware that with age; the arch liners can turn to dust, so be careful when you are removing them

As for the undersealing; that's exactly what I've just done very recently (all in my project) and I went for the Lanoguard stuff as wanted to keep it inline with the clear'ish OEM BMW underseal that was already on the car and not some back sticky goo(ie. Waxoyl etc)

It's not a hard job at all; just faffy with all the bolts & clips. But, it gives you great access to the arch lip, inner arches and also the very ends of the sills etc

1 hour ago, jimboe39 said:

Good shout Dan, Think I will join you underneath the arches :D

Careful.... VERY dusty :lol: