Sign in to follow this  
iReaper1157

Water in the boot again

Hi guys. I have water in the boot again. I’ve previously (about 2 months ago) pulled the crimped ends of the sunroof drains out and cleared the pipes, resealed the rear light (maybe I should get a new seal) and sealed the vent. Anything I might be missing? No water in the battery compartment and I’ve moved all the modules from the place they normally sit so they are safe. The water is only where that black tray is behind the panel. 

On 8/2/2021 at 2:14 PM, iReaper1157 said:

Hi guys. I have water in the boot again. I’ve previously (about 2 months ago) pulled the crimped ends of the sunroof drains out and cleared the pipes, resealed the rear light (maybe I should get a new seal) and sealed the vent. Anything I might be missing? No water in the battery compartment and I’ve moved all the modules from the place they normally sit so they are safe. The water is only where that black tray is behind the panel. 

Haven't you got a towbar?

If so has the fitter ran the towbar electrics through one of the vent's that dj mentioned?

I've seen this done many times & it's a bad idea.

I put mine through a spare gromit above the offside vent & made sure it was sealed with mastic around the wires & on both sides of the gromit.

I've seen alot of 'professional fit's' done through the vent :unsure:

12 hours ago, dj1233 said:

Have you done the boot vents? Unless this was the vent you sealed? 

item 5 in this diagram

That’s the one I did mate yeah. Whether it actually sealed it tho is the thing I suppose. 

10 hours ago, dirtydirtydiesel said:

Haven't you got a towbar?

If so has the fitter ran the towbar electrics through one of the vent's that dj mentioned?

I've seen this done many times & it's a bad idea.

I put mine through a spare gromit above the offside vent & made sure it was sealed with mastic around the wires & on both sides of the gromit.

I've seen alot of 'professional fit's' done through the vent :unsure:

Going off memory the tow bar electrics are all wrapped together with the main loom for the other modules. Where they leave to go outside the car I’m not sure about but I remember the wiring going to the left side of the car not the right towards the battery. I’ve only got a 7 pin so it’s only feeds for the lights and a little module wired in that tells the car that something is connected up to it. I’ll have a look tho. 

You don't want to 'seal shut' your boot vent's. There are for a reason to allow air flow around the car.

If they are no longer sealing themselves shut when you view them with the car stationary then they need replacing.

Normally a good clean does the job.

3 hours ago, dirtydirtydiesel said:

You don't want to 'seal shut' your boot vent's. There are for a reason to allow air flow around the car.

If they are no longer sealing themselves shut when you view them with the car stationary then they need replacing.

All this, I think they are quite cheap anyway. Also worth swapping the batteries in the alarm siren while the bumpers off.

On 8/7/2021 at 11:35 AM, dirtydirtydiesel said:

Confused about this to be honest. I don’t actually know what they are doing. I sealed around it where it fits to the body from the inside. 

On 8/7/2021 at 3:25 PM, GoNz0 said:

All this, I think they are quite cheap anyway. Also worth swapping the batteries in the alarm siren while the bumpers off.

I’m even more confused, I sealed the vent that is in the boot from the inside? Guess I’m doing it wrong. The water was in the black tray above the battery, there is no water anywhere else. Would the siren cause this? How do I seal it?