Sign in to follow this  
E39Man

Any plumbers/diy people on here?

Hi all,

Was trying to turn off the hot water to replace the cartridge in my bathroom mixer tap, when suddenly the damn thing broke off in my hand!

Can anyone tell me what the attached part is called so I can get a replacement? I don't know what they're called, can anyone help please?

p.s the right hand side one works normally but the left (now broken would not budge) any ideas why?

IMG_4072.jpg

IMG_4073.jpg

IMG_4066.jpg

Take the knob into a plumbers merchants with a picture of the valve. (not a diy shop like b&q)

Alternatively don't bother and just use a small spanner on the valve, this would actually be easier if the valve is stiff

That’s an Abacus distribution manifold I think. The knobs are more for setting the balance of water going to each outlet, rather than isolating or turning off the flow. In my opinion that’s more of a “set and forget” piece of kit that should be left configured as it is. I’m guessing the other outlet is for underfloor heating or similar? It’ll need turned back to pretty much where it was whenever you turn it back on to keep the balance the same, so if you’re going to close it, count the number of turns it takes.

Is there not another proper isolating valve just before the tap? Will look like a small piece of cast silver pipe with a flat-head screw on one side. As @Stressed said though, if you can get something onto the flats on the valve you should be able to turn it if you have no other options. 

Can’t see the broken part listed anywhere, but all their contact details are on their website:

www.abacus-bathrooms.co.uk

Alternatively Plumbase / Plumb Centre or similar should have something to fit.

Edited by CG172

1 hour ago, Stressed said:

Take the knob into a plumbers merchants with a picture of the valve. (not a diy shop like b&q)

Alternatively don't bother and just use a small spanner on the valve, this would actually be easier if the valve is stiff

I tried a spanner but the valve is really stiff and wouldn’t move at all.

I can’t see any other isolating valve nearby (it might be buried behind panels) the only other isolating valve stops the entire water which isn’t practical at the moment 

3 hours ago, CG172 said:

That’s an Abacus distribution manifold I think. The knobs are more for setting the balance of water going to each outlet, rather than isolating or turning off the flow. In my opinion that’s more of a “set and forget” piece of kit that should be left configured as it is. I’m guessing the other outlet is for underfloor heating or similar? It’ll need turned back to pretty much where it was whenever you turn it back on to keep the balance the same, so if you’re going to close it, count the number of turns it takes.

Is there not another proper isolating valve just before the tap? Will look like a small piece of cast silver pipe with a flat-head screw on one side. As @Stressed said though, if you can get something onto the flats on the valve you should be able to turn it if you have no other options. 

Can’t see the broken part listed anywhere, but all their contact details are on their website:

www.abacus-bathrooms.co.uk

Alternatively Plumbase / Plumb Centre or similar should have something to fit.

thanks for the info!

will try both

Unscrew the on to the right, screw it in to the one on the left, use and then replace later?

8 hours ago, sanjx said:

Unscrew the on to the right, screw it in to the one on the left, use and then replace later?

good idea but the one on the left is totally seized. It’s not moving in any direction