paulhunter-e28

OMG i fixed the air blower not worked ever

this 87 518i has been in the family since 1993, and even back then the air blower was a terrible sound 

i cant stop fixing things - why arnt these cars worth as much as a 2002 they should be by now.

i hate saying at petrol stations when people are interested, oh its just the 518i but its a gem of an engine. when i go BMW main dealer, parts department  -  say yes they wouldnt buy any of the new stuff

Edited by paulhunter-e28

Hi Paul,

Well done on breathing life back into your blower motor.

Your description of "dry bearing scream" is spot on.  The bearings need a drop or two of oil every couple of years to keep them wet, lubricated and quiet.

Just a pain to get the motor in and out.

Best regards,

Mick

You don't have to take the motor out Mick, just unclip the impeller covers and use a good quality aerosol oil.

Kind regards,

Ivor

Hi Guys,

My blower is starting to make a slight whine/scream noise. 

I have replaced these before on my very first E28, but can't be arsed doing it again - I wondered if someone could explain the exact points on the above pic to target lubricant and I'll just remove the engine bay trim and unclip the cover and soak.

A

I just oiled the end bearings of the motor. It is possible to lubricate the bearings utilizing a long thin screwdriver or knitting needle by dipping into the oil and dripping it on to the shaft.

Hi Al,

An aerosol can of 3 in 1 oil with a remote tube will work

Assuming you can see this once the engine bay trim and blower covers are removed:

IMG_3270.JPG.a4d7a7c5a7d146ee682daa974856a7f3.JPG

The bearings are at either end of the motor before the "hamster wheel" air impellors so point your lubricant at these two points on the shaft and rotate the fan to help the oil flow back into the bearing:

IMG_3267.JPG.efc2477c342552284c9a38d804d60a25.JPGIMG_3268.JPG.0de1305985e641db32f5ad028e87db13.JPG

The hard part is removing the engine bay trim so you are 70% there for removing the motor, which is likely the most effective way to lubricate these bearings.

If you remove the motor then stand the it on its end and oil the shaft above the bearing then gravity is your friend and will suck the oil back into the bearing which will work well if you spin the shaft while the earth sucks.

Invert the blower motor and repeat for the other end / bearing.

This should keep the motor from screaming for about a year, until it screams again then just repeat the oiling process.  You can keep a blower motor going for quite a long time if you re-lubricate it when it starts to scream.

Best regards,

Mick

Edited by Ordnator

That is a lovely new motor!

Here are a couple of pictures to illustrate the problem of the old motors. When they make noise it  can be  because the the bearing is seized on the shaft. The whole unit then rotates as the bearing housing is lightly held by the clamp. When it is seized the noise starts, lubrication helps quiet the noise but needs to be done regularly. You can see the wear on the bearing housing in the photo.

To fix it you have to take the motor apart to separate the bearing and shaft. The clearance between the shaft and bearing is very tight and even by having the motor out and using gravity to oil it the bearing can still be stuck to the shaft. I you look at the photo the "fingers" are all that is holding the bearing housing from rotating. 

PICT0027.JPG

PICT0031.JPG

PICT0030.JPG