d_a_n1979

Anyone desperate for a set of Style 65s

Christ. On a bike. 

Must say I’ve never thought the M5’s alloys were particularly nice. 

The 65’s should’ve been the standard “Sport” wheels, and the M5 should have had something forged and polished with heaps of dish...  

Hi,

Let him ask whatever he wants !  There 'might' be someone out there willing to pay that or close to that price!

CG172 - I'm quite well known for not liking the style 65's at all! way too 'fussy' of a design for the classic design aesthetic of the E39. The Style 37 M Parallels are forged and stronger than the cast Style 65's and if BMW had put those on instead of style 65's everyone would be raving about those being the 'only wheel for an M5' etc !

Cheers, Dennis!

36 minutes ago, DennisCooper said:

Let him ask whatever he wants !  There 'might' be someone out there willing to pay that or close to that price!

I’m inclined to disagree. I’m well aware that people can ask whatever they want for an item and nobody has to pay it if they don’t want to, but the problem with eBay in particular is that people (on the whole) never bother price their items by the “sold” prices, but by the asking prices that others have chanced their luck with.

All of a sudden a set of M5 alloys is now “worth” three grand, and they move out of the reach of enthusiasts - who now subsequently have to compete with flippers for rough sets, not to mention all the people who’ll be pulling out old sets of replicas from their sheds and claiming them to be the real deal. 

They are - at best - a £1,500 set of wheels.

46 minutes ago, DennisCooper said:

The Style 37 M Parallels are forged and stronger than the cast Style 65's and if BMW had put those on instead of style 65's everyone would be raving about those being the 'only wheel for an M5' etc !

I’m lead to believe that only the E39 M-Para’s were actually forged. E31/34/38 were quite possibly cast (supposedly),  But hey - don’t believe everything you read on the internet...

Regardless - I agree that they should have been the default wheel for the M5.

8 hours ago, CG172 said:

I’m inclined to disagree. I’m well aware that people can ask whatever they want for an item and nobody has to pay it if they don’t want to, but the problem with eBay in particular is that people (on the whole) never bother price their items by the “sold” prices, but by the asking prices that others have chanced their luck with.

All of a sudden a set of M5 alloys is now “worth” three grand, and they move out of the reach of enthusiasts - who now subsequently have to compete with flippers for rough sets, not to mention all the people who’ll be pulling out old sets of replicas from their sheds and claiming them to be the real deal. 

They are - at best - a £1,500 set of wheels.

I’m lead to believe that only the E39 M-Para’s were actually forged. E31/34/38 were quite possibly cast (supposedly),  But hey - don’t believe everything you read on the internet...

Regardless - I agree that they should have been the default wheel for the M5.

Hi CG172,

I agree.. with your disagreement! To me, at the very best, a set of used and refinished set of staggered style 65's are a £800 set. A little more, if the 'pitting' due to age and frequent / daily use over the years is minimal. They're not 'worth' £3K at all, that's just an inflated asking price which over the last 2-4 years has been more prevalent with 'car related aspects - parts and actual cars. It's highly likely these wheels won't actually sell anywhere that amount, it's a question of how long before the seller realizes it and drops the price. 

To give you a bit of hope, a set of staggered OEM style 65's came up a couple months ago now for around £500, needed a refinish but were in decent base shape otherwise, I had a friend who was really looking for a set go pick them up !   As for the fakes..  most enthusiasts can indeed tell they're not the real deal, but every once in a while someone does indeed think they're the genuine article !

As for the Style 37's, then as per Green Elekta, all Style 37's were made using forged aluminium. There was an in depth, investigative thread on the US forums a few years back :)

Cheers, Dennis!