Calypso-E34

BMW Connected Drive - Problems purchasing

I have decided I need to update the sat nav maps on my recently purchased 520d.  I have set up the Connected Drive account, so that's all good.  I had a look at the options available, and the Connected Package Plus option, which gives me the connected package plus map updates looks good at £99.  So I log in, click on that, and put it in my 'checkout basket'.  When I go to check out however, I get an error message - 'An error has occurred. Please try again later or contact BMW ConnectedDrive customer support'.

So - as I've been at this on and off since early this morning, I decided to contact customer support.  The girl there hadn't a clue what was wrong, so she raised a ticket, and I had to send a screen shot of the message.

I have tried this on both the PC and via the App.  I have cleared cookies, logged out. logged back in - all that.

So tell me chaps - is dealing with this sort of BMW tech always so much of a pain in the arse, or is it just me?  What is the point of having this 'Connected Drive' thing if it's just going to crash, with no explanation??  If it's this bloody difficult to even buy the package, I can see massive problems when it comes time to download the maps and install them in the car.

Technology.  The more they try to update things, the worse it is, and the more trouble you have.

GOD I miss the E34........

Edited by Calypso-E34

1 hour ago, Calypso-E34 said:

I have decided I need to update the sat nav maps on my recently purchased 520d.  I have set up the Connected Drive account, so that's all good.  I had a look at the options available, and the Connected Package Plus option, which gives me the connected package plus map updates looks good at £99.  So I log in, click on that, and put it in my 'checkout basket'.  When I go to check out however, I get an error message - 'An error has occurred. Please try again later or contact BMW ConnectedDrive customer support'.

So - as I've been at this on and off since early this morning, I decided to contact customer support.  The girl there hadn't a clue what was wrong, so she raised a ticket, and I had to send a screen shot of the message.

I have tried this on both the PC and via the App.  I have cleared cookies, logged out. logged back in - all that.

So tell me chaps - is dealing with this sort of BMW tech always so much of a pain in the arse, or is it just me?  What is the point of having this 'Connected Drive' thing if it's just going to crash, with no explanation??  If it's this bloody difficult to even buy the package, I can see massive problems when it comes time to download the maps and install them in the car.

Technology.  The more they try to update things, the worse it is, and the more trouble you have.

GOD I miss the E34........

Probably best in the F1x tech section pal; it's a bit lost in here

@Sandip  / @duncan-uk will probably move it

2 minutes ago, d_a_n1979 said:

Probably best in the F1x tech section pal; it's a bit lost in here

@Sandip  / @duncan-uk will probably move it

Not really mate - common to all modern BMWs I’d have thought?

Tried several more times across different platforms, and still the site crashes at the final checkout stage.  No resolution from BMW, or even an acknowledgement that there is a problem anywhere.  BMW needs to do better than this.

I might just save myself a load of stress and forget about this.  If I really need to use sat nav, I'll get my ultra reliable and easy and free to update TomTom out.

So - I still can’t get this to work. I’m wondering if it could possibly be something I’m doing wrong, as I can’t believe BMW would not have solved this by now. 

has anyone else had the same problem?

I'm really not surprised that some people opt to get these map updates from eBay sellers and the like.  BMW don't even want to talk to you when there's an issue.  I'm trying to do things right, and pay for the privilege - but these dickheads at BMW just won't bloody answer me.

So - BMW have managed to get their system working again, and I have purchased the BMW Connected Package Plus, which includes the Sat Nav updates - WooHoo!!

I have downloaded the map update, and extracted it to a USB stick, and all that went fine - took about an hour all in.  Now it's time to upload this to the car.  

Can anyone tell me how long this takes, and whether I can do it without the engine running?  I don't want to start this and then have to stop again because the battery is being drained or whatever.

Never mind!

it took about 40 minutes, and I let it work away while I took the long way home. 

All good now!