greenelekta

Alpina B10 V8 Project with rare seats on Autotrader

Previous HG issues though and fixed with a 'liquid seal' worry me... 

IMO that could be a pricey paperweight... 

On 03/08/2021 at 17:12, d_a_n1979 said:

Previous HG issues though and fixed with a 'liquid seal' worry me... 

IMO that could be a pricey paperweight... 

Could very well be, but given that other low mileage one went for £18k you could do a lot to this one.

I suppose with cars like this even with a fully rebuilt engine & box & the rest gone through it still probably wouldn’t be worth as much as the low mileage one, even though it would actually be a better car.

Also in reality you could probably sink £10k into a full rebuild of the engine alone if it’s anything like TVR bespoke V8 AJPs…

An Alpina B10 V8 block is £10k without pistons, and although you can use an X5 4.6iS block it is still £5k. Then you can add all the gaskets, chain guides, sprockets, chain, gubbins and nonsense and you'll easily get to £5k with all that stuff and labour before you add the block price. A 4.8 Alpina is even more as the pistons and block are bespoke.

18 minutes ago, sharkfan said:

An Alpina B10 V8 block is £10k without pistons, and although you can use an X5 4.6iS block it is still £5k. Then you can add all the gaskets, chain guides, sprockets, chain, gubbins and nonsense and you'll easily get to £5k with all that stuff and labour before you add the block price. A 4.8 Alpina is even more as the pistons and block are bespoke.

Ah interesting, thanks. I’ll stop daydreaming about buying one then! 

1 hour ago, sharkfan said:

Was this all found out the hard way?

On 07/08/2021 at 20:08, CG172 said:

Was this all found out the hard way?

Yep, I ended up buying a second hand B10 V8 engine and having new chains, guides, sprockets, oil pump and gubbins fitted.