RobM

Price of replacement brakes (540i)

My front brakes need replacing, so I've been looking at costs and options but would appreciate the experience of the forum :)

My local BMW dealer has a price on their website of £865 (inc. the 'Standard Scope' charge). But... there is a nasty little condition listed saying the price may be higher for MSport brakes.

A local Indi has quoted circa. £1000, but that also includes a replacement brake hose I know needs replacing.

What sort of price have you all found for those who have the blue MSport brakes as I have on my 540i?

ECP list Pagid as the only option for the front discs for my car, and they’re more expensive than the Indi’s price on their itemised quote.

I guess that’s reassuring…?

You'll find the part numbers here: https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/showparts?id=JM12-EUR-02-2018-G31-BMW-540iX&diagId=34_2451

You can go back on that link & put your own chassis number in to be sure. There are some wildly different prices on the parts if you google the part numbers! 

Note also on that link it recommends changing a few other little bits too.  

Edited by Andyrt200

That’s really helpful, thank you. It shows the Indi price is actually pretty good (in the context of spending a grand on front brakes!). If I factor in the ECP disc price and the mandatory items (guide pin and expanding spring mainly) they work out cheaper than any semi-DIY job. 

The main reason for posting to ask this question was reassurance that the prices I’m seeing are in the right ballpark, and there isn’t a trick I’m missing. I’ve got that confidence now, so when I’m bent over and grabbing my ankles at payment time, at least I know I’m being treated fairly. 

Just had front pads, discs and rear pads done on my 2018 G31 530d Xdrive. Cost was £830 at a BMW Dealer. It has the blue M Sport Calipers as well but may be a different size.

Just under 50k miles and probably got done on the advice to change. 

try the bmw-service website, i've found it alot cheaper than "in-store" prices. For comparison, my 750i brakes (front pads and discs) are about £750 on the website but well over £1k in-store. The online price is actually cheaper than buying the parts alone! (when I need them though, they'll probably have gone up)

Edited by sanjx

Call round a couple of dealerships and ask for their best price, or call your sales man for a chat and mention you need brakes done and can he get the service department to look after you.

Thats what I do, mine was in for oil service and new front m sport pads and some trim replaced, online was £890 for both plus £119 for trim and they done it all in for £650 for me.

Edited by Jonny2400