Calypso-E34

My new 520d - update - missing history - and looking for advice!

So - I bought my 66 plate 520d from Arnold Clark Volvo in Inverness on the basis that it had a full BMW service history. As there is no service book, and no history showing on the idrive, I wanted proof. 

Now it turns out there is no BMW history at all. It was serviced in 2020 (4 years old) by some Arnold Clark branch prior to sale, and again last week at 28000 miles by Arnold Clark Volvo. Both appear to have been just oil changes. There is nothing to suggest it has been inside a main dealer. Hard to believe anyone would buy a new BMW and never take it for an annual oil change. 

I don’t like that it wasn’t serviced for 4 years. I don’t like that it’s never seen a BMW garage. The guy is looking to see if any more can be found out about it. 

They asked me if i would still want the car if no further history is found. I don’t know whether I would or not. They have sold my old car. 

What would be the best thing to do here? The car seems 100%, and I like it, but it isn’t what I paid for. 

Edited by Calypso-E34

Tricky. How about having it sent to BMW for a insp 2 (if that’s still a thing) and AC cover the cost?

or it’s hand it back or a chunk of change your way to keep it. 

with long life servicing And condition based it may only have needed 2 visits by now anyway? 

Have you called the BMW service line? They can get any visit to any BMW dealer loaded on their system. It does cost £1 per minute to call, but if they find something it'll be worth it. I'd want some money back based on the fact it hasn't got any history effectively after being described as full (although at that mileage as mentioned above it would've only had two), or again the suggestion above of a major service at BMW (which would be due about now) covered.

19 minutes ago, duncan-uk said:

Tricky. How about having it sent to BMW for a insp 2 (if that’s still a thing) and AC cover the cost?

Duncan,  I think that’s a great idea. Probably the best solution all round. It should have had things like brake fluid, maybe an EGR valve clean and a couple of other items, so without evidence, I have to assume the work hasn’t been done. 

I want it to be as it would have been had it had a FBMWSH. I’ll ask for this. If not, they can take it back and get me another car. 

I’m due to hear back from the dealer tomorrow regarding any further information they have uncovered about this car. So far anyway, all is polite, and I am assured they will do whatever to make sure I’m happy. 

it rained for the first time since I got the car today, and I have discovered that the drivers side wiper doesn’t wipe all the way to the A pillar. Decided to have a poke about. The wiper arm is off, and parks low too - plus’s there’s all manner of crud under there - and some odd paint markings. Also, a date painted on to the underside of the bonnet. This is a 28000 mile car remember......

50E4110C-061C-4E78-876C-08BF6F1BF121.jpeg

4C5F79DD-777F-40B9-8D50-BC6B298169F3.jpeg

21B61C5F-2CFE-450A-9B73-0695498EF9F2.jpeg

3A29E952-C9AF-4E03-906F-9B310ACA7C79.jpeg

3C868250-56D9-43EE-B74E-1257E2A4168C.jpeg

7095E5DC-F753-4C3E-A0E7-68FEBF380EC1.jpeg

Under the sale of goods act you are within your rights to reject the vehicle. If they informed you the car has a full service history and they have failed to provide it they have misrepresented the vehicle. Inform them in writing giving them 14 days to respond. (I would email and send by recorded delivery) If you paid for any part of the car by credit card you car covered for the whole purchase under section 75 of the consumer credit act.

You often see dates painted on panels like that when they have com off another vehicle (scrap yard panel)

The wiper is probably out of alignment if the car has had a new screen and the fitter didn't bolt it back on correctly. Easy fix, lift the dust cover, unbolt the wiper arm, move it and do the nut back up

5 minutes ago, Stressed said:

You often see dates painted on panels like that when they have com off another vehicle (scrap yard panel)

I must admit that was my initial thought too. :unsure:

It’s nowhere near the windscreen wipers, so I doubt it’s associated with that work.

Could be the date something was done or was due perhaps?

Mark, you obviously have a good relationship with this dealer, have you bought from them before? as a valued customer they will want you to be 100% satisfied with your purchase, it is the only way they can guarantee repeat business, tell them you want a 6 cyl model, in a colour and price parameter of your choosing, may have to wait a little, but I'm sure they could indulge you.

PS Any news on where your previous 525d ended up, the colour and spec was right up my street, I would have travelled for that one bud.

Edited by Steve van hool

46 minutes ago, Steve van hool said:

Mark, you obviously have a good relationship with this dealer, have you bought from them before? as a valued customer they will want you to be 100% satisfied with your purchase, it is the only way they can guarantee repeat business, tell them you want a 6 cyl model, in a colour and price parameter of your choosing, may have to wait a little, but I'm sure they could indulge you.

PS Any news on where your previous 525d ended up, the colour and spec was right up my street, I would have travelled for that one bud.

I do have a good relationship there. I’ve had two Volvos from them previously.  The chap I was dealing with this time was actually a Restaurant Manager in town before, and his customer service skills are great. 

I did think about putting it back.  I also thought about another Six - but actually, I quite like this car, and so far, I think the 2.0 B47 is a fine little engine - wrong noise obviously, but it’s mostly quiet enough, and pulls pretty much as well as the 525d. Maybe at 86700 miles, that was getting a bit tired, and needing some extra tlc. 

It’s going back to have a few things attended to, then going over to BMW for a major inspection, and anything outstanding will be done, with backup provided. Idrive will be updated with everything done by both BMW and the selling garage, plus the earlier services. 

I’m  happy with that. 

AC Volvo have since sold my old one I think - it’s reserved anyway. 

https://www.arnoldclark.com/used-cars/bmw/5-series/525d-se-4dr-step-auto/2011/ref/arner-u-13499

Edited by Calypso-E34

Have you tried vcheck? Even buying from main dealer, I always use vcheck as it shows up stuff HPI doesnt 

The date on the bonnet could be anything, maybe it was taken off to be repainted under paint warranty or to fix chips etc..also the struts - aren't they on a life expiry thing when you have to replace them after every so many years? Not that most people do so it would be strange considering it hasn't been in the dealers. Could be anything, if it looks presentable and IF it's been repaired then provided it's to a high standard then it's ok? Scrap yards tend to write as someone else has said but they tend to put the model number and chassis code, the date seems strange. Someones made the effort to put it away from the main panel but easy to find. Maybe the bonnet was taken off for something and the 9 denotes it's part number 9 which they removed from this car so they could sequence putting it back. Some smaller garages number parts to remember the order in which removed. 

Edited by sanjx