Eddles

2010 F11 530d - extremely long turbo lag

Hi all, I've been driving my 530d for over 2 years now, it has always had long turbo lag - it takes about 1 to 2 seconds before the turbo kicks in.  I ask because recently I borrowed a 2004 S40 2.0 turbo-diesel and the throttle response is a world apart - the power feels there almost instantly - although of course the 530d has boatloads more power, and after 2 seconds, it zooms away.  But in the first couple seconds, the S40 feels a lot more powerful.  I've driven many turbodiesels including 1.7 Mk4 Astras, 2.0 Mondeo, 2.0 Volvos etc.

Is it normal for this engine?  Or is it symptomatic of an underlying problem?  The intake ports were walnut blasted, and the intake manifold cleaned out, and EGR replaced, so it's not that.

Many thanks in advance!

Edited by Eddles

That doesn't sound right to me, I have a 530D and it's generally pretty instant with the power. The odd time I seem to catch it wrong but even then it's only about half a second before it picks up and goes.

If you really mean 2 seconds, no that’s not normal at all. A hesitation just enough to give you a fright taking a chance at a junction but nowhere near a second or 2!

Turbo actuator maybe ?

Got any fault code's. 

I have the 3.0d in 525d guise that is also pretty instant.

Edited by marko530d

Thanks to everyone for your replies!

Just used ISTA to download the fault messages, just one thing that jumps out is:

Air mass measurement: Measured air mass is too low compared with the calculated air mass.

I thought this was due to the intake ports being choked up - I've not seen this error message before, would this be the MAF sensor?

Many thanks in advance!

20210725_152435_Operations_report_VIN7-CP84713.pdf

Capture.PNG

It looks as though the MAF is the issue. Unplug the MAF and drive it. There should be an increase in response as the car enters a default map safe map.