paulhunter-e28

My Genuine BMW ash tray is the wrong way round?

So my original cigar lighter unit was pretty toasted and wasnt working - i decided to fit a new universal cigar lighter unit and obtained a replacement bmw e28 ash tray and base of a well know auction site as my original was pretty cracked and rusty.

but what what?? - the hinge is to the front? i havnt put it in the wrong way round - this is the only way it will go in.

I am totally myth-ed and a lil peed as i am otherwise delighted with the new setup - retaining the original appearance of a working cigar lighter but also now with a fully functioning usb charging facility thats works.

this is the most curious moment in my bmw e28 days. i put it to the community, does anyone have a wrong way round ash tray?

my days took me 4 times to shrink a photo down via photoshop down to a postage stamp to get the photo uploaded. how do you upload real size photos?

ash4.jpg

Edited by paulhunter-e28
spelling

Hi Paul,

Have you tried pulling the ash try (item 2) out of the ash try holder (item 3) and turning it around 180 degrees?

E28's with factory air conditioning tend to have the ashtray lid open towards the rear while non-air conditioned E28's tend to have the ashtray the other way around with the lid opening towards the front.

E28's without OEM air conditioning with forward opening ashtray:

msg-52342-0-78992100-1452006923_thumb.jpg

post-52342-0-35401700-1430733416_thumb.jpg

IMG_1008.thumb.JPG.18099bf574d5b26c72b6d1130e9bf107.JPG

E28 with air conditioning and a rearward opening ashtray:

IMG_1703.JPG.4d89c12838e86d886a280e3cf3dbba58.JPG

Same ashtray (item 2) in both cases, just orientated 180 degrees around.

There is a non-smokers option that replaces the ashtray with a storage partition-ashtray front:

IMG_1047.JPG.ceb0261b408b0bf2baac848c31a8e0bf.JPGIMG_1049.JPG.010acff67cad1d488031a9bcc4aa245b.JPGIMG_1048.JPG.fa9e04e41cb2a1ce1ae47b6b3e6f5463.JPG

The non-smokers storage partition-ashtray front fits both air conditioned and non air conditioned E28 center consoles.

The non-smokers storage partition-ashtray front is still available from the Main Stealers part number:  72.60.1.942.786

Stay safe and best regards,

Mick

Edited by Ordnator

im still beat in this one, what air conditioning you got a wrong way round ash tray ? what

i cant turn it the right way round, it doesnt work that way, and the part numbers are different to my original. whats going on, this is a very WTF is going on day for team BMW when they were still good, But what what!

Hi Paul,

My E28's are all 1985 or newer so my assumption is that they are all the same compatible part numbers.

The Frame Ashtray Front (item 03) up to April 1983 was part number 51.16.1.874.943.

The Frame Ashtray Front (item 03) from April 1983 onwards was part number 51.16.1.911.697.

The Ashtray (item 02) from September 1982 was part number 51.16.1.911.696.

The Ashtray (item 03) from April 1983 onwards was part number 51.16.1.911.965.

You maybe have a mix and match issue between the Frame Ashtray Front (item 03) and the Ashtray (item 02) due to older part into newer car or visa versa.

Stay safe and Best regards,

Mick

wow what a guy yeah i got a 943 what have i got here 

original was a 174 only the germans could over engineer an ashtray 

last 3 digits on both

87 e28 here

no mix n match all i got was a base from a breaker

Edited by paulhunter-e28

On 21/07/2021 at 22:27, paulhunter-e28 said:

my days took me 4 times to shrink a photo down via photoshop down to a postage stamp to get the photo uploaded. how do you upload real size photos?

ash4.jpg

Hey Paul,

On the browser select "Gallery" / then "Add Images" /  then "Create New Album" / then "All Images" / then "Submit all images"  your photographs will then be uploaded to your new album in the gallery.

When you are composing a post then select "Insert other media" / then "Insert existing attachment" and select a picture from your album to insert into the post.  Hey presto a full size detailed picture.

Hope this helps you with real size photos.

Best,

Mick

Edited by Ordnator

My assumption would be that they are likely not "Form Fit and Function" compatible as they have been allocated different part numbers.

The E28 went through a bit of a facelift in 1983/1984 so the ashtray could have been caught up as part of this.

3 minutes ago, paulhunter-e28 said:

wow never expected that good old sidler many thanks for helping my headache  

Your welcome,

It was a voyage of discovery for me too as up until 30 minutes ago I was not aware that there were ashtray differences, until you mentioned having different part numbers so thank you for informing me.

Every day is a school day.

Best,

Mick

im loving your interior mick its mint, and your alpine stereo is a beauty - what model is it? also you have the oem bmw speaker fader on the dash surround ive notices these how do they wire into the stereo and i thought a stereo would have this feature anyway built in whats the benefit of this kid regards

i see one storage tray on ebay for 85 pounds blimey i like it though not seen this feature