Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Russ_T

Remap thrown all sorts of error codes

Recommended Posts

Hi all, 

I have a 2015 530D F11. It's been for a remap a few months ago, made good power on the dyno, pretty happy. About 100 miles later I had all sorts of warnings and an engine light. I took it to a garage as it said it needed an oil change all of a sudden and they ended up changing my oil level sensor, and inlet manifold. Apparently the sensor had died, the inlet manifold was leaking. Then after all that still lots of codes and they were going to change some more sensors but remembered I'd only recently had them changed. Anyway in the end they put the latest BMW software on it (losing my mapping) and car was great again, no faults.

So I took it back to have my map reapplied, and guess what? On the way home the exact same error codes. 100 miles till I need an oil change, oil sensor non responsive, bla bla another 9 errors and back to square one.

The tuner has done hundreds of my engine and I really don't think it's his fault. This car has been problematic the whole time I've had it for different reasons. He's said to bring it back so we can try to diagnose why it does this.

In the mean time have any of you ever come across these symptoms please? 
 

S 0260 No communication possible with: Junction Box Electronics

S 0308 No communication possible with: Touchbox

245400 Diesel particulate filter: Exhaust gas pressure too low

25C800 Exhaust gas pressure sensor, diesel particulate filter, signal: Outside tolerance, sensor drift

28FA00 Oil level sensor: Faulty

2A0D00 LIN / BSD, message; alternator: Missing

2A9100 LIN, message; alternator: Missing 

2F2C00 Diesel particulate filter system, plausibility: minimum differential pressure undershot

801C20 ZGM: central fault memory full - no control-unit fault

Thank you

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Russ_T said:

Hi all, 

I have a 2015 530D F11. It's been for a remap a few months ago, made good power on the dyno, pretty happy. About 100 miles later I had all sorts of warnings and an engine light. I took it to a garage as it said it needed an oil change all of a sudden and they ended up changing my oil level sensor, and inlet manifold. Apparently the sensor had died, the inlet manifold was leaking. Then after all that still lots of codes and they were going to change some more sensors but remembered I'd only recently had them changed. Anyway in the end they put the latest BMW software on it (losing my mapping) and car was great again, no faults.

So I took it back to have my map reapplied, and guess what? On the way home the exact same error codes. 100 miles till I need an oil change, oil sensor non responsive, bla bla another 9 errors and back to square one.

The tuner has done hundreds of my engine and I really don't think it's his fault. This car has been problematic the whole time I've had it for different reasons. He's said to bring it back so we can try to diagnose why it does this.

In the mean time have any of you ever come across these symptoms please? 
 

S 0260 No communication possible with: Junction Box Electronics

S 0308 No communication possible with: Touchbox

245400 Diesel particulate filter: Exhaust gas pressure too low

25C800 Exhaust gas pressure sensor, diesel particulate filter, signal: Outside tolerance, sensor drift

28FA00 Oil level sensor: Faulty

2A0D00 LIN / BSD, message; alternator: Missing

2A9100 LIN, message; alternator: Missing 

2F2C00 Diesel particulate filter system, plausibility: minimum differential pressure undershot

801C20 ZGM: central fault memory full - no control-unit fault

Thank you

 

So:

 

Remap - Errors are thrown -> Parts changed accordingly

Eventually a software update fixes all of the errors, I assume the car was running fine?

New Remap - Errors thrown again, exactly the same symptoms as with the first Remap?

 

A pattern has formed. The Remap is causing the issue no matter that the Remapper has done many of these cars without issue, the Remap is the common factor through all this. Some things should just be left be.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Having many errors throw up is classic symptom of low voltage as the sensors are receiving a false signal , it could be one of the  many modules I’m not saying this is the problem but worth investigating.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Oldbilly said:

Having many errors throw up is classic symptom of low voltage as the sensors are receiving a false signal , it could be one of the  many modules I’m not saying this is the problem but worth investigating.

 

But the errors go away when the 3rd party map is removed. If it was low voltage, the remap would have no impact and the errors would occur regardless.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 Cars need to be 100% healthy before any remap.

 

Simple thing to do is remove map if fault stays away you know its the remap. 

 

If fault returns when its stock then you know map is not at fault. 

 

My money is on remap with information you have provided.

 

Edited by marko530d

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Problem is that most so called remappers have got no clue of about the software they use to flash cars. Most of them simply take original file from the car and send it somewhere then.get modified file and install it back to the car. So usually they wont see if file is wrong,they cannot correct it,coz again have no clue how to etc. 

I think that before remap logs need to be taken,car has to go on dyno before,coz that will show if it healthy or not,scan for codes etc and if all checks out only then car can.be modified. Its not cheap,but i think its the way to go really.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, marko530d said:

 Cars need to be 100% healthy before any remap.

 

Simple thing to do is remove map if fault stays away you know its the remap. 

 

If fault returns when its stock then you know map is not at fault. 

 

My money is on remap with information you have provided.

 


Your first sentence is relevant though, a remap is likely to worsen any fault so there may not be an issue with the new mapping, there may be an underlying weakness that’s showing up. Why not get the codes read by a decent BMW engineer and analyse the problems rather than just say it’s a bad map?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Boba said:


Your first sentence is relevant though, a remap is likely to worsen any fault so there may not be an issue with the new mapping, there may be an underlying weakness that’s showing up. Why not get the codes read by a decent BMW engineer and analyse the problems rather than just say it’s a bad map?

 

Simple - because of this statement made by the OP - 

 

On 20/07/2021 at 23:29, Russ_T said:

Anyway in the end they put the latest BMW software on it (losing my mapping) and car was great again, no faults.

 

Not sure what more evidence there could be?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Boba said:


Your first sentence is relevant though, a remap is likely to worsen any fault so there may not be an issue with the new mapping, there may be an underlying weakness that’s showing up. Why not get the codes read by a decent BMW engineer and analyse the problems rather than just say it’s a bad map?

 

If he's already checked car's 100%

 

Only faults with the remap 

 

What do you suggest @Boba ?

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 21/07/2021 at 08:47, Matthew Ashton said:

This car has been problematic the whole time I've had it for different reasons. He's said to bring it back so we can try to diagnose why it does this.


The starting point is a ‘problematic’ vehicle for some reason. One which has a history of problems.

 

7 hours ago, marko530d said:

If he's already checked car's 100%

 

Only faults with the remap 

 

Yes, but he hasn’t checked it. Just because there are no fault codes doesn’t mean there is no problem.

 

7 hours ago, Matthew Ashton said:

Not sure what more evidence there could be?

Well without offence there isn’t any evidence of a bad map either with such a broad spectrum of error messages (mostly apparently unrelated to the mapping). It does seem that remapping is triggering the problems, but nor can you assume there isn’t an underlying problem. Perhaps one of the processors is failing? The options seem to be either wait without the remap and see if anything develops or find a knowledgeable BMW engineer to investigate.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 20/07/2021 at 23:29, Russ_T said:

been

Is the starting point so assuming its sorted.

 

Had a map on my old 530d e60 car wouldn't accept it was 100% healthy and lit up like a Christmas tree everytime.

 

Went elsewhere for remap car was fine.

 

Some maps are just s##t.

 

On 21/07/2021 at 10:37, marko530d said:

Cars need to be 100% healthy before any remap.

 

That's why I started with 100% healthy because that's what any reputable mapper would tell you before they touch your car rule no1.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, marko530d said:

That's why I started with 100% healthy because that's what any reputable mapper would tell you before they touch your car rule no1.

 Yes I think so too, but of course we don’t know that.

 

I’d say the list of faults was symptomatic of bus contention on the CANbus but as to why I’ve no idea. Could be anything.

 

(don’t know why my earlier quote ended up being attributed to @Matthew Ashton - some weird forum glitch. Sorry!

Edited by Boba

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 22/07/2021 at 16:59, Boba said:

 

 

Well without offence there isn’t any evidence of a bad map either with such a broad spectrum of error messages (mostly apparently unrelated to the mapping). It does seem that remapping is triggering the problems, but nor can you assume there isn’t an underlying problem. Perhaps one of the processors is failing? The options seem to be either wait without the remap and see if anything develops or find a knowledgeable BMW engineer to investigate.


This!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 22/07/2021 at 17:39, Boba said:

 

(don’t know why my earlier quote ended up being attributed to @Matthew Ashton - some weird forum glitch. Sorry!


Sometimes when quoting multiple users, a wee bug crops up. Sorry about that. I’ve found when quoting it throws its toys out the pram.  Will pass on your concern. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×