Sign in to follow this  
Stressed

Hand brake fails to release

Has anyone else had their auto hand brake failed to release.

A couple of times since August it hasn't released first time. Last week coming out of a car park in Harrogate it stuck firmly on and another time in Richmond it refused to release.

On Both occasions I was stuck at a junction unable to move the car. I had to turn the car off and back on again before I could drive.

It's in with BMW now. Just wanted to know if it's my car or others have had the same problem

Not happened to me. My tyre pressure monitoring has gone to crap though - also going to be taking mine into BMW

My wife 1 series TPM throws a hissy fit in hot weather. Just doing a reset seems to sort it out. I believe they are programmed to alert you if there more than a 10% change in tyre pressure. Therefore if its really hot it's not unreasonable for tyre pressures to rise 10% in the heat and set off the warning!

3 hours ago, Stressed said:

My wife 1 series TPM throws a hissy fit in hot weather. Just doing a reset seems to sort it out. I believe they are programmed to alert you if there more than a 10% change in tyre pressure. Therefore if its really hot it's not unreasonable for tyre pressures to rise 10% in the heat and set off the warning!

But the TPM system takes tyre (valve) temperature into account. If you look you will see that it recommends a higher pressure when the tyre is warm due to either ambient or driving.

Yeah the behaviour with mine is it stops showing pressure altogether - might be broken due to the hot weather but normally you are correct the recommended pressure does adjust with temperature. The readout for all 4 stops, then randomly comes back, then stops again - something is wrong centrally

My handbrake doesn’t fail as such, but fairly frequently it doesn’t recognise the brake pedal is depressed when I’m about to pull away, so doesn’t disengage and prompts me to use the brake as well.