AmxelShah

Error Code Tacho? (E34 5 series)

Hi all, so I own a low mileage E34 5 series and the dashboard is reading "Error Tacho" followed by Miles/Kmh. Theirs some back story here....

I took the car out one night just to drive around as he was sat for a couple of weeks, so I let the car warm up and took it not much more than a mile out. I sat did some work, let the engine run, switched it off after a while started it up, went for a small drive came back, and then went to say hi to a fellow enthusiast. Here's where it gets weird. 
I parked the car up and left the engine running and as we were literally discussing how good the older engines are the car starts reving in and out at Idle, almost as if it was trying to keep itself on (their was. a quarter tank of fuel)(still is), then the car shuts off. Weird. The first time it ever happened. So I turned the ignition on, no errors and thought it best to give the car a moment before turning it back on, engine temp was fine as well. Fifteen minutes later I turn the car back on and again no issues, the only thing I found weird was the power steering was much much lighter, I felt like I could turn it with my elbows I need be. 

I get home and as I'm reversing into the drive, again the car shuts off, this time "Error code Tacho, Miles/Kmh, Owners handbook". So I just wanted to know if anyone has ever experienced this and how they've gone about fixing it, a few people have said it could be the fuel pump but I've ruled that out since I started the car the next day and moved it, once I had literally finished parking the second time it cut out again. I tried starting it but it just ticks and clicks no actual turnover. (but if you try again ten mins later full turn overdrives but gives the error code and cuts out again). 

So if anyone ever experienced this before please let know what to do, it's a 1991 E34 BMW 525i SE Automatic and his only covered 46,000. Any suggestions and help is much appreciated. 

Attached a few pictures, let me know any thoughts

(for the record I never drove the car in the snow but couldn't let the opportunity for the pictures get away)

BMW lurking snow .jpeg

Code Tacho.jpg

Code Miles:KMH.jpg

IMG_20210124_152709.jpg

I have played around a bit with coding plugs from the blue backed cluster. When I randomly changed data in the coding plug EEPROM it would give the "CODE TACHO" error. Now how this fix this? Do you have tools to read and write the EEPROM / coding plug?

The blue backed cluster can be re-coded using DIS with a made up ZCS describing the parameters of the car. This often cleared the "CODE TACHO".

21 hours ago, Johan said:

I have played around a bit with coding plugs from the blue backed cluster. When I randomly changed data in the coding plug EEPROM it would give the "CODE TACHO" error. Now how this fix this? Do you have tools to read and write the EEPROM / coding plug?

The blue backed cluster can be re-coded using DIS with a made up ZCS describing the parameters of the car. This often cleared the "CODE TACHO".

Hi, I don't have the tools to read and write the EEPROM and/or coding plug, if it comes to that I'll take the car to someone who knows what they're doing.
I've read on other forums to try disconnecting the battery, letting it drain for a day or two, then coming back, jump-starting the car, and driving it for an hour. Apparently, this resets the OBC and clears the code. I will give an update if this is the case, I disconnected the batteries yesterday so later on today I'll give it a try

On 7/19/2021 at 3:22 PM, Johan said:

Update

I disconnected the battery for a couple of days, (got busy so couldn't do anything right away), charged the battery fully, and then plugged it back in, the car started fine no errors, did not miss a beat, it then cut off again so I got my mechanic to check it over, the terminals weren't showing any charge, meaning that the alternator wasn't making any electricity. The car was running solely off the battery which would last a couple of hours then cut out. So I need to get the alternator sorted, when I started it a second time it came up with the "TRANS" error, I've had that before and it was again just the old battery needing replacing, or maybe even back then it was the Alternator. 

I'll keep this forum updated in case any other owners go through similar, or get the code randomly. 

"CODE TACHO" sounds like what happens to you the day after you eat Mexican food from an unreliable source.