jag530isport

E39 530I Sport

Hi Guys

I'm tempted to get a daily 530i sport. I've had one before and really fancy another but they seem to be thin on the ground. What kind of money should I be looking to pay for a car with 80k on the clock with decent options?

Thanks

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk

A 530i Sport with less than 80k miles and “good options” (blinds, widescreen nav, electric seats, etc..?) that’s ready to be used on a daily basis is pretty much heading towards unicorn territory now unfortunately.

Prices are all over the place currently - £6k plus perhaps for what you want - if you get lucky?

I’d want a “war chest” of £1.5k to deal with any potential issues if I was going to daily it too - these things are mostly two decades old now and there’s not a single one that’s devoid of problems, except maybe @d_a_n1979 ‘s.

Speaking of which - maybe look at a Japanese import? Typically lower miles and no rust...

Good luck regardless. :)

1 hour ago, jag530isport said:

Hi Guys

I'm tempted to get a daily 530i sport. I've had one before and really fancy another but they seem to be thin on the ground. What kind of money should I be looking to pay for a car with 80k on the clock with decent options?

Thanks

As said above, that mileage you'll be looking at £5k plus easy, for an example that's been looked after etc.. 

What's your budget and ideally what spec are you after? 

A 530i Sport with less than 80k miles and “good options” (blinds, widescreen nav, electric seats, etc..?) that’s ready to be used on a daily basis is pretty much heading towards unicorn territory now unfortunately.

Prices are all over the place currently - £6k plus perhaps for what you want - if you get lucky?
I’d want a “war chest” of £1.5k to deal with any potential issues if I was going to daily it too - these things are mostly two decades old now and there’s not a single one that’s devoid of problems, except maybe [mention=57689]d_a_n1979[/mention] ‘s.

Speaking of which - maybe look at a Japanese import? Typically lower miles and no rust...

Good luck regardless. 
Thanks for the response, how do you go about trying to look at an import, are there companies that do it on your behalf or is it a straight forward process if I did it myself?

As said above, that mileage you'll be looking at £5k plus easy, for an example that's been looked after etc.. 

What's your budget and ideally what spec are you after? 
I'm looking at around £5k to £6k for the right car. It's mad because I paid £5500 for my imola 530i sport 13 years ago and my brother got a 530i sport which is still covered by BMW extended warranty and he paid £4500 last year just before the first lockdown. His has only covered 72k.

33 minutes ago, jag530isport said:

I'm looking at around £5k to £6k for the right car. It's mad because I paid £5500 for my imola 530i sport 13 years ago and my brother got a 530i sport which is still covered by BMW extended warranty and he paid £4500 last year just before the first lockdown. His has only covered 72k.

That sounds about right IMO for a UK E39

But for an import you'd probably have to pay more, as that's what they command

Look at GMS Cars; Old Colonel Cars, 4 Star Classics, Hexagon etc as they generally have stock in; otherwise you'd need to deal with a company who imports BMWs into the UK, so see who you can find on Google etc

I have a 530i sport touring (similar to Dan's but not as mint).

Has been our only family car for over ten years and not really given many problems.  I do try to keep on top of maintenance though.  In my view to keep them reliable is not something done on a shoestring.

I would add a couple of things.

You could also check Seymour Pope for stock from time to time.

If considering a Japanese import note that it's not easy to confirm ulez complaince for a vehicle not first registered in the UK.

The UK registered 530i is ULEZ compliant.  Something to consider as more and more towns are bringing these charges in.  Right now i think it's London, Bath, Birmingham and Portsmouth.

58 minutes ago, Dbcrd said:

I have a 530i sport touring (similar to Dan's but not as mint).

Has been our only family car for over ten years and not really given many problems.  I do try to keep on top of maintenance though.  In my view to keep them reliable is not something done on a shoestring.

I would add a couple of things.

You could also check Seymour Pope for stock from time to time.

If considering a Japanese import note that it's not easy to confirm ulez complaince for a vehicle not first registered in the UK.

The UK registered 530i is ULEZ compliant.  Something to consider as more and more towns are bringing these charges in.  Right now i think it's London, Bath, Birmingham and Portsmouth.

Good call; forgot about them... I still think there's a rude joke in their name somewhere too :lol: 

And Jap import E39s aren't ULEZ compliant as the emissions cannot be verified. The UK version is; just seems to be an issue with imported versions... Not that it'd affect me as I rarely go to cities never mind London :lol: 

The other option is to convert an SE, which is the route I’m (slowly - very, very slowly) trying to go down.

They’re significantly cheaper cars, which would leave room in the budget for sport bumpers, your choice of alloys, etc...

Most of the differences (bar the suspension) are purely cosmetic and are reasonably easy to change.

Just don’t underestimate the amount of work required to do it properly - like I may have done... :wacko:

I’ve got a 530i sport saloon on Lpg I used as a daily for the last 5 years, only reason I’m selling it is I’ve 4 e39s and offloading this and a 530d sport toruing, nothing really wrong with it bar it needing a prop shaft centre bearing as it has a rattle under Heavy load, had the exhaust flange sorted as it it was blowing on March mot, 200k miles but still a decent car and will be priced under 2k, sills are still

solid enough to jack on and haven’t been advised for an mot. 

so cheaper ones are out there I guess but for something sub 100k the asking prices will be high and firm due to scarcity and values on the up.

Any E39 that has had 17 or more UK winters WILL be rusty. Even 'good' ones will have something starting in the rear sills and so on. A 'good' one from 2002 is in a mate's bodyshop after having the fuel tank dropped to rebuild the inner sills, all four jacking points and a full set of rusty fuel and brake pipes.  It's a £2000 bill with the rear arches because the 'very slight' rusting on the rear aches turned out to be a bit more than that once bare metalled.

Jap imports are the way to go. They are more money but you aren't welding it back together. I had a 1993 E36 325i Coupe in 2007 and it was absolutely mint underneath - you could wipe the dust of it underneath as opposed to some Titanic style nightmare. 

4 hours ago, Sir Anthony Regents-Park said:

Any E39 that has had 17 or more UK winters WILL be rusty. Even 'good' ones will have something starting in the rear sills and so on. A 'good' one from 2002 is in a mate's bodyshop after having the fuel tank dropped to rebuild the inner sills, all four jacking points and a full set of rusty fuel and brake pipes.  It's a £2000 bill with the rear arches because the 'very slight' rusting on the rear aches turned out to be a bit more than that once bare metalled.

Jap imports are the way to go. They are more money but you aren't welding it back together. I had a 1993 E36 325i Coupe in 2007 and it was absolutely mint underneath - you could wipe the dust of it underneath as opposed to some Titanic style nightmare. 

I've just had that with my car.  Two rear jacking points plus welding to one of the arches and work on the tailgate.  Not quite that much but a bit less work.  Jacking points were really not that bad - still looked ok, jacked the car and passed MOT.  Got it done anyway as a stitch in time.  Not a huge amount of rust when revealed.  Picture of worst side shown.  Needed work on the wing as well. 

Could be looked at as as money divided by time.  INcluding depreciation i'm sure having a new or newish mondeo type car  every three years for the last 20 years would have been more than my only two cars an e34 followed by e39.

I don't think these cars can be run on a shoestring like bangers.  

Agree re. Jap import.  As a daily in a ulez zone though charges could be a  few grand a year.

IMG-20210518-WA0002(1).jpg

1 hour ago, Dbcrd said:

I've just had that with my car.  Two rear jacking points plus welding to one of the arches and work on the tailgate.  Not quite that much but a bit less work.  Jacking points were really not that bad - still looked ok, jacked the car and passed MOT.  Got it done anyway as a stitch in time.  Not a huge amount of rust when revealed.  Picture of worst side shown.  Needed work on the wing as well. 

Could be looked at as as money divided by time.  INcluding depreciation i'm sure having a new or newish mondeo type car  every three years for the last 20 years would have been more than my only two cars an e34 followed by e39.

Agree re. Jap import.  As a daily in a ulez zone though charges could be a  few grand a year.

IMG-20210518-WA0002(1).jpg

As said on another post; makes me really glad I got my Jap import touring

With just doing the sills underseal the other day; shows you how well they are in comparison to a UK car:

jackpads7.jpg

16 hours ago, Dbcrd said:

That's a nail hit firmly on the head. E39's are a bit too 'needy' to run on a shoestring and if you don't nip every minor thing in the bud they just turn into heaps. Very few owners ever did, just getting rid instead. Before you know it they just need everything doing and it's one problem after another. 

16 hours ago, d_a_n1979 said:

As said on another post; makes me really glad I got my Jap import touring

With just doing the sills underseal the other day; shows you how well they are in comparison to a UK car:

jackpads7.jpg

Mine looks a bit nearer to that - now.  I was going to mention in my earlier post that i expect you could eat your dinner off yours - if you don't mind the taste of lanolin.

IMG-20210518-WA0001.thumb.jpg.e5a4e72bfb3a39cc929b23846abfa5f5.jpg