Calypso-E34

First day with the F10 Lci 520d Sport

I’ve just picked up this beauty. Looks great, drives great too, couple of small things I’ll miss like the exterior illumination on the door handles, iPhone cradle under the armrest, and the better climate control panel, a proper service book, nice 6 cylinder noise - but gaining Nav, 18s, heated seats and Xenons - so overall, a win I’d say. 

97143E45-D7D6-4F2B-BB1C-2696F8BEB597.jpeg

BCAF6285-37E1-4890-8BC4-60F16B95E320.jpeg

3B29E398-94DE-4457-B492-FBCE97CB6EB3.jpeg

26909587-53CA-4C56-B15E-09DEBC277A83.jpeg

B4A5361E-C41F-49D5-8203-B8B2AE45A193.jpeg

BFD59500-A842-4A93-97F7-B499F66A5CF2.jpeg

....... and now polished and waxed. I think I lost about a stone in weight doing this, but it paid dividends I think. Hard to see the difference in photos, but you can up close. 

93E53BDF-30A3-4E4D-91E8-32D307148013.jpeg

2ECD5C13-4EA9-45EC-A86B-AAD95DF2B87E.jpeg

Feck. 

just discovered I have no internal ambient lighting on this car either. I’ll really miss that. 

there really is quite a lot missing on the 4 cylinder car that’s included with the 6 cylinder one. A wee bit disappointed if I’m honest. 

I wish I’d looked into it a bit further. 

It looks great Mark. Good luck with it.

My 520d has the advanced aircon option - not many do. 

How does it handle in comparison to an SE? Presume it may be more nimble with the front end being lighter.

On 7/17/2021 at 6:58 PM, Calypso-E34 said:

Feck. 

just discovered I have no internal ambient lighting on this car either. I’ll really miss that. 

there really is quite a lot missing on the 4 cylinder car that’s included with the 6 cylinder one. A wee bit disappointed if I’m honest. 

I wish I’d looked into it a bit further. 

Is retrofitting options possible on these, or have they become too complex?

On 17/07/2021 at 23:08, E39mad said:

It looks great Mark. Good luck with it.

My 520d has the advanced aircon option - not many do. 

How does it handle in comparison to an SE? Presume it may be more nimble with the front end being lighter.

Cheers Rupert!  It handles very well, and funny enough, it seems to ride better than the old car too. I guess 59000 miles less on the suspension is going to make a difference!!  Definitely lighter too - feels pretty good I have to say. 

10 hours ago, CG172 said:

Is retrofitting options possible on these, or have they become too complex?

I looked into it. It is possible, but involves a lot of parts, a lot of wiring, and coding. Not really a DIY job for me I’m afraid!

I’d have been happy with the little orange downlighters you used to get in the E46 and E39 ( which I DO have in the back of this one)

2 hours ago, Calypso-E34 said:

I’d have been happy with the little orange downlighters you used to get in the E46 and E39 ( which I DO have in the back of this one)

Oddly the orange downlighters above the gear stick in the E39 are one of my favourite details in the car... Love the ambience in the cabin when driving it at night,

Really great looking car. I think the F10 is such a handsome car. You should have the orange down lighters in the front too? 

7 minutes ago, Liam2594 said:

Really great looking car. I think the F10 is such a handsome car. You should have the orange down lighters in the front too? 

Actually yes - I have now found them built into the courtesy light!

I know what you mean about feeling short changed in the 4 pot though, you lose out on a fair few albeit minor but really nice little extras!

If the service history is not forthcoming, and you bought it on that basis, I would take up their offer to take it back, and look for a 6 cyl which is more likely to have a few more toys with it that you are obviously missing on your current model BM, plus absent SH will affect your residuals, when you come to move it on, 4 or 5 years down the road, just my two cents, but it is your call Mark.

Looks beautiful, you've done a great job valeting it in my opinion. I've just bought a 530d and test drove a 520d prior to it, personally I did find it a little underpowered. Having said that we can't really speed these days with cameras at every turn so how much that extra power is needed in the real world I'm not certain but, whatever, that's a lovely car. 

On 24/07/2021 at 23:54, Steve van hool said:

absent SH will affect your residuals, when you come to move it on, 4 or 5 years down the road

That would be my concern. A missed or delayed service isn’t the end of the world, in mechanical terms - it may lead to premature wear on some parts, but chances are you’ll never have an issue because of it. But the damage to the value of the car will definitely be felt when you come to sell it on. No amount of extra inspections or servicing will convince the next buyer that it’s worth the same as a full service history.

On 19/07/2021 at 18:50, Calypso-E34 said:

It handles very well, and funny enough, it seems to ride better than the old car too. I guess 59000 miles less on the suspension is going to make a difference!!  Definitely lighter too - feels pretty good I have to say. 

I have just discovered the reason for the decent ride - The car is running on non run flat tyres!  Another thing I can't believe I didn't pick up on!  So I will now have to rely on one of those tyre repair goo things to keep me mobile if I get a puncture.  Thought about a space saver, but it takes up too much of the boot when going on holiday really.

I have been without run flats for 5 years now Mark and touch wood not had a puncture. 

I carry the tyre goo with inflator and resign myself to fact that I'll get recovered if a puncture happens. 

The ride is better on conventional tyres. The RFT's fell apart ride/handling wise when they were more than half worn.

Edited by E39mad

4 hours ago, E39mad said:

I have been without run flats for 5 years now Mark and touch wood not had a puncture. 

The ride is better on conventional tyres. The RFT's fell apart ride/handling wise when they were more than half worn.

Here's a question for you Rupert - The recommended tyre pressures are provided on a sticker in the driver's door opening.  Do these pressures still apply when using standard tyres instead of run flat ones?  

Also - who EVER thought it was a good idea to measure car tyre pressure in bars??  Surely PSI is a more accurate measurement, given that most tyre compressors have gaps of 1 bar!!

I've played around with tyre pressures Mark to try and get the best feel and performance over the years. Decided that generally 32psi front and 36/37 rear is good for me unless we are heavily loaded in which case I up them by 2 psi each end.

So.......

I have had all the issues with the car resolved, and it's had a new EGR valve, as the other one was faulty.

HOWEVER

I don't think this car is for me.  I've had it since mid July now, and I'm just not getting on with it.  What to replace it with though?

26 minutes ago, duncan-uk said:

Out of interest what is it that's not doing it for you?

To be honest Duncan, it's 2 things.  Firstly, the engine.  It's been fully serviced, everything attended to, and the EGR replaced - and I swear it is louder at idle now than it was before.  Secondly - it just doesn't feel anything like as robust inside as my 10 year old F10 525.  Trim feels cheaper, it creaks more - just feels very different.  Maybe the Sixes are better put together than the Fours, but I can't see how that would work - or maybe they changed the quality on the LCi cars - who knows.

Biggest issue I have now really is that there aren't too many other cars that I like!  Maybe just buy an old shed to smoke about in until something I like comes up.

I do feel we are end of days for interesting stuff.

New Volvo V60 looks good but they're all 2.0 4 pots.

I'm after a newer petrol touring F11 but a 6 pot petrol is like hens teeth (mrs says no to diesel)

Tricky stuff

I stand by my original suggestion of a Superb...

A BMW needs a straight 6. The 2.0 Diesel 4 pot in the Superb doesn’t feel out of place.

4 hours ago, duncan-uk said:

I do feel we are end of days for interesting stuff.

Yup. Was having this exact conversation the other day with a friend.

Bragging down the pub about how many volts your battery has is going to be terminally dull.

Glad I lived to see the era of the V6 Busso, the Cosworth YB, Renault F4R, M54B30, etc, etc...

It was fun while it lasted.

(I was never a huge fan of a Wankel though)

Looks like trouble ahead for electric - as predicted. Good - maybe they’ll put some more effort into Hydrogen. 

https://news.stv.tv/world/electric-car-chargers-to-switch-off-at-peak-times-to-avoid-blackouts?fbclid=IwAR03sPACS1bjJnSjJztRCPnMrFWhRZBaZjJtHkqAEtY8ShMHd2Pt2USR2eA