Calypso-E34

First day with the F10 Lci 520d Sport

I think the issue is “we” just expect to use more and more energy. 

When actually we should be looking to use what we generate more efficiently In things like heating/ lighting  buildings so as not to over burden the grid. 

localised micro generation is part of that. 

electric cars have their own environmental issues of course but we need to consider a whole new way of living small changes like loft insulation etc are only marginal gains. 

An old shed to smoke about in? What about an E39 Mark, all either 6 or 8 cyl, although a nice one is fast becoming a classic rather than an old smoker, another plus is, unlike the F10, or G30, they are no longer depreciating, so you shouldn't lose on it. Dan has a nice estate, sorry, Touring for sale, looks to be pristine, or try Old Colonel Cars. 

Edited by Steve van hool

12 hours ago, CG172 said:

I stand by my original suggestion of a Superb...

A BMW needs a straight 6. The 2.0 Diesel 4 pot in the Superb doesn’t feel out of place.

I did have a look at a Superb,  but at the time I thought the BMW was just better - and in many ways, it probably is.  My problem now is that nothing else is really floating my boat.  Cars seem to have risen in price substantially in the last few weeks for anything half decent.  So too has the value of trade-ins of course.  Any decent BMW 530d that comes up seems to be priced highly too - I saw one yesterday on a 2014 plate - albeit with only 37000 miles up - and they wanted £18000 for it.  Too old to have much in the way of finance options either.

2 minutes ago, Steve van hool said:

An old shed to smoke about in? What about an E39 Mark, all either 6 or 8 cyl, although a nice one is fast becoming a classic rather than an old smoker, another plus is, unlike the F10, or G30, they are no longer depreciating, so you shouldn't lose on it. Dan has a nice estate, sorry, Touring for sale, looks to be pristine, or try Old Colonel Cars. 

Nice cars alright, but I've been there and done that.  E39s are way too needy to run as a reliable daily now.  The last one I had was a low mile, well looked after 530i.  I spent a fair bit on preventative maintenance too - and still it always needed something.  Fine as a weekend car if you can do the work yourself, but a pain in the arse as a daily.

6 minutes ago, Calypso-E34 said:

Cars seem to have risen in price substantially in the last few weeks for anything half decent.

Yeah, that’s the problem with “cheap” money I guess.

House & car prices have shot up across the board it seems.

I’d agree to an extent to a 5 being preferable to a Superb if the budget were unlimited. We had considered an F11 before settling on the Mk2 Superb we settled on. We just couldn’t believe the value for money we got at half the price. The most recent model is such a good looking car, and (to my eyes) in many respects more so than the slightly fussy “big-grille” styling of the most recent crop of BMWs.

If I were to win the lottery today my immediate response would be to order the latest Superb estate with the 2.0 petrol turbo engine and 4wd drivetrain in “sport” specification, finished in that lovely putty grey colour they do. Easily tuneable to 400+ bhp and far more subtle than any fast Audi or BMW. One day...

I’m not sure what else will fit your criteria, but I do wish you the best of luck in finding it - whatever it may be! :)

27 minutes ago, Steve van hool said:

I did... 

4 minutes ago, Steve van hool said:

You've sold it Dan? 

See the projects thread ;) 

3 hours ago, Sir Anthony Regents-Park said:

The G30 is a good upgrade and the 520i is very pleasant. 

The best E39 is indeed a sold one. 

2 hours ago, duncan-uk said:

Bit harsh that!

10 minutes ago, Sir Anthony Regents-Park said:

But fair. :lol:

Very fair.  If I hadn't had so many silly issues on mine, it might well still be parked in my drive, as it was a cracking thing to look at and drive.  That said, it's still going wherever it is - 143000 miles on it now.  About 40000 of those since it left me.

Edited by Calypso-E34

I'm about 13 years in with my 1996 528i, and to date it has been the most reliable and enjoyable drive so far in 40 years of motoring, since I passed my driving test. I drive for a living and so I'm super fussy in how well a car measures up to a drive. 

10 hours ago, Steve van hool said:

I'm about 13 years in with my 1996 528i, and to date it has been the most reliable and enjoyable drive so far in 40 years of motoring, since I passed my driving test. I drive for a living and so I'm super fussy in how well a car measures up to a drive. 

I think the earlier E39 M52 cars such as the one you have there were more reliable - no fly by wire electronic throttle body nonsense.  If I was buying another one, I would look for a 1996 or thereabouts 528i or 540i, bog standard, with the 16" Style 33 'turbine' wheels, in Glacier Green, with the rare dark green cloth interior (good luck with that).

On 14/09/2021 at 19:52, Calypso-E34 said:

Looks like trouble ahead for electric - as predicted. Good - maybe they’ll put some more effort into Hydrogen. 

https://news.stv.tv/world/electric-car-chargers-to-switch-off-at-peak-times-to-avoid-blackouts?fbclid=IwAR03sPACS1bjJnSjJztRCPnMrFWhRZBaZjJtHkqAEtY8ShMHd2Pt2USR2eA

That article managed to get the wrong end of the stick completely. The WTO regulation simply states that the ‘off-peak charging’ option (which limits charging hours as described in the article) must be built into all chargers and it must be enabled by default. But, it goes on to say that off-peak charging can be switched off by the user at any time. It’s simply a way to encourage people to limit their own charging hours if possible.

https://members.wto.org/crnattachments/2021/TBT/GBR/21_4994_00_e.pdf

The regulations even state that the user must be able to disable off-peak charging and to change the off-peak charging hours themselves at any time.

In addition, National Grid have stated multiple times that capacity shouldn’t be an issue, particularly as the uptake of EVs will be a gradual process.

What’s particularly depressing is the glee with which people greet this incorrect news, because they’re desperately hoping EVs will fail.