Sign in to follow this  
Malky

Nearly 3 years are up, what now

Hi, I have a 520d m sport.

just on 18000 miles due for Mot at end ofAugust

Advice please on extended warranty, to do it or not and extending apps at what cost. End of warranty check?
Have not received anything from BMW thus far so thought I would get ahead of the game.

Many thanks

5 hours ago, Malky said:

Hi, I have a 520d m sport.

just on 18000 miles due for Mot at end ofAugust

Advice please on extended warranty, to do it or not and extending apps at what cost. End of warranty check?
Have not received anything from BMW thus far so thought I would get ahead of the game.

Many thanks

End of warranty check - Just book it in to BMW for a date in August.

Extended Warranty - you will get very differing views on this one. Personally, I don't buy extended warranties but I am handy with troubleshooting and the spanners so can address many issues if they arise - What are your abilities and attitude to risk?

Connected Drive - What apps are you using, RTTI - is this important to you? Take a look on the Connected Drive store for the bundles and costs - again it depends on your usage as to whether it's worth it. Wait until black Friday time and BMW ahs, for the past few years at least, discounted the cost by 20%. Again, I don't spend money on extending the services as I don't get value from them. I will subscribe every few years just to update the satnav maps.

18 hours ago, Matthew Ashton said:

End of warranty check - Just book it in to BMW for a date in August.

Extended Warranty - you will get very differing views on this one. Personally, I don't buy extended warranties but I am handy with troubleshooting and the spanners so can address many issues if they arise - What are your abilities and attitude to risk?

Connected Drive - What apps are you using, RTTI - is this important to you? Take a look on the Connected Drive store for the bundles and costs - again it depends on your usage as to whether it's worth it. Wait until black Friday time and BMW ahs, for the past few years at least, discounted the cost by 20%. Again, I don't spend money on extending the services as I don't get value from them. I will subscribe every few years just to update the satnav maps.

Thanks Matthew,

I am of your mindset but not too clever mechanically. Probably wait to see how much they want.

I do so little mileage now that I will follow your lead on the apps.

I was wondering if they are actively looking for defects on the end of check or it’s just another sales pitch coming.

I was hoping for more experiences to what others did and was it a winner but hey ho.Thanks again

I had the end of warranty check but I’m particular about my car and anything that was wrong was already fixed under warranty so they found nothing more. I did bluff them into updating the car’s software at the time though by saying the gearbox was holding gears after sudden acceleration and sow down.  It is definitely not a sales pitch in my experience and if they find anything obviously wrong they will rectify it under warranty. 

I had my end of warranty check carried out recently. I highlighted a  problem with one on my door handles as  the comfort access wouldn't work when the car was wet, this handle had previously been changed under warranty. They found the handle to be faulty again,  however they changed all the door handles stating this was directive from BMW. 

Thanks both of you. Nice to know there is positive news about.

My friend is the warranty department (she’s the only one in it!) at our local dealer, she went through it all for me when we were looking for the G31 540i recently:

“Up to three years old everything is covered except wear & tear items eg brake discs. 

After 3 years its the AUC extended warranty that covers everything except seals (door boot), trims or rattles. Mechanical seals are covered under AUC. 

AUC warranty has to be put on a used vehicle sold by a BMW dealer, usually 12 months or sometimes 24.
If a vehicle is say 2 years 2 months old AUC must be added to top it up

Corrosion is covered up to 12 years regardless but it can’t have started from a stone chip or other damage.”  

She did say she sees the most warranty claims on cars around or just over 3 years old.

However since then she also said they will almost always come to some good will arrangement if you have issues outside the warranty (you pay some smaller amount of the cost). So its up to you if you want to pay out for extended, not sure I would, we just got 12 months AUC with the 3 year old car. 

Personally speaking I’d check your M door trims, they were in a terrible state on the first car we looked at. Ours was still a bit wet from washing when we bought it & they looked so much better than the first one I didn’t notice the drivers is actually just starting to go:

vRamF7T.jpg

Notice the white marks, they won’t come off, it’s corrosion under the lacquer, much like the problem wheels. You should be able to get those changed before 3 years, I can’t under AUC. Talking of wheels check them too, I think they are covered more under the pre three years one, but they are always problematic with curbing damage. 

Also I only noticed after getting getting it & giving them a proper clean the exhaust tips are badly pitted:

OG2CRPg.jpg

They are considered trim so not covered by AUC either :rolleyes:

I think the 520s have round exhaust tips though, on balance I think I prefer them to these odd shaped ones. We had a Passat R line a while ago (they are much like a 520 MSport) it had twin fake exhaust tips exactly the same shape & place as the 540i ones. I think quite a few other manufacturers do  / did have fake exhaust tips too. The round ones look more real to my mind! 

The round exhaust tips can be had with most engines. You got them as long as the car was ordered without the M-sport bumpers. Last few years it seems to be the case that 90% of new cars have the M bumpers and exhaust tips, which makes the no-cost standard version the less common sight. ///M is for ///Marketing as the cynics say....

I like the look of them too, I think it's a cleaner and more elegant look. Sadly they seem to have gone away with the facelift, it's all trapezoids there.

image.thumb.png.d3ee93e72eacc22d774503b8dd405660.png

5 hours ago, Andyrt200 said:

My friend is the warranty department (she’s the only one in it!) at our local dealer, she went through it all for me when we were looking for the G31 540i recently:

“Up to three years old everything is covered except wear & tear items eg brake discs. 

After 3 years its the AUC extended warranty that covers everything except seals (door boot), trims or rattles. Mechanical seals are covered under AUC. 

AUC warranty has to be put on a used vehicle sold by a BMW dealer, usually 12 months or sometimes 24.
If a vehicle is say 2 years 2 months old AUC must be added to top it up

Corrosion is covered up to 12 years regardless but it can’t have started from a stone chip or other damage.”  

She did say she sees the most warranty claims on cars around or just over 3 years old.

However since then she also said they will almost always come to some good will arrangement if you have issues outside the warranty (you pay some smaller amount of the cost). So its up to you if you want to pay out for extended, not sure I would, we just got 12 months AUC with the 3 year old car. 

Personally speaking I’d check your M door trims, they were in a terrible state on the first car we looked at. Ours was still a bit wet from washing when we bought it & they looked so much better than the first one I didn’t notice the drivers is actually just starting to go:

vRamF7T.jpg

Notice the white marks, they won’t come off, it’s corrosion under the lacquer, much like the problem wheels. You should be able to get those changed before 3 years, I can’t under AUC. Talking of wheels check them too, I think they are covered more under the pre three years one, but they are always problematic with curbing damage. 

Also I only noticed after getting getting it & giving them a proper clean the exhaust tips are badly pitted:

OG2CRPg.jpg

They are considered trim so not covered by AUC either :rolleyes:

I think the 520s have round exhaust tips though, on balance I think I prefer them to these odd shaped ones. We had a Passat R line a while ago (they are much like a 520 MSport) it had twin fake exhaust tips exactly the same shape & place as the 540i ones. I think quite a few other manufacturers do  / did have fake exhaust tips too. The round ones look more real to my mind! 

Thanks very useful

4 hours ago, Carlton said:

The round exhaust tips can be had with most engines. You got them as long as the car was ordered without the M-sport bumpers. Last few years it seems to be the case that 90% of new cars have the M bumpers and exhaust tips, which makes the no-cost standard version the less common sight. ///M is for ///Marketing as the cynics say....

I like the look of them too, I think it's a cleaner and more elegant look. Sadly they seem to have gone away with the facelift, it's all trapezoids there.

image.thumb.png.d3ee93e72eacc22d774503b8dd405660.png

Ah thanks, just coincidence the two other G31s I’ve seen with the round pipes happened to be 520s then. As you said when I was looking SEs were very much the odd ones out. I’ve hardly seen any G31s out & about generally, we kind of half though about an X5 for a while but I’ve since seen far more of those so glad we stuck with a normal touring.