Sign in to follow this  
sjb993

Dipstick.

Thanks.

Yes, I know about the electronic measurement. I read that some models (the F10 530D was mentioned) have the electronic measurement and a dipstick - apparently the engine cover has to be removed to access it. I wondered whether the same was true for the G30 540i.

14 hours ago, sjb993 said:

Thanks.

Yes, I know about the electronic measurement. I read that some models (the F10 530D was mentioned) have the electronic measurement and a dipstick - apparently the engine cover has to be removed to access it. I wondered whether the same was true for the G30 540i.

The N57 did have a dipstick and it was visible without removing the engine cover. Seeing the later post, the B57 engine (diesel) does have a dipstick but not the B58 (Petrol)

Edited by Matthew Ashton

My G30 530d  19 plate did have one. Just pull the engine cover off and it is at the back. I don't know if the 540i is the same. Pull the cover off and have a look. 

30 minutes ago, Salop70 said:

My G30 530d  19 plate did have one. Just pull the engine cover off and it is at the back. I don't know if the 540i is the same. Pull the cover off and have a look. 

Looking at RealOEM confirms your statement about having a dipstick on the B57 but there is no dipstick on the B58. Even though the 2 engines share many of the same parts, the oil pan is slightly different, omitting the dipstick.

Edited by Matthew Ashton

The N54 (petrol twin turbo) hasn’t got a dipstick either, first car I came across that on. Interesting when changing the oil, luckily that displays the oil level on the iDrive with just the ignition on.
However I’m sure the G31 540i hand book said you can only get an accurate reading after running the engine for 30 minutes, wouldn’t like to have it badly off for that long!

Generally it seems the diesel cars have dipstick much more than petrol.