max535

Tyre Inflators

I've spent hours trying to find a good reliable tyre inflator for around or under £50 but it seems they don't exist, plenty of sites out there telling you which are the best ones but every time you look at reviews there are multiple people saying what poor quality they are, and now I'm just pissed off.

Unreliable, pressure gauge inaccurate, broken after 1 use, 12v plug doesn't fit my BMW socket, took an hour to fill the tyre, the list goes on and on, and don't even get me started on rechargeable ones, what a stupid idea what guarantee do you have that it will still have charge when you actually need it stuck in the middle of nowhere on the side of the road?

I've had a couple of manual tyre pumps which you would think would be reliable including a Michelin branded one, but no they all just collapse after a couple of uses, absolutely useless!

Ring seem to be the most popular and 'reliable' but same story there, plenty of people saying they're crap, how hard can it be to manufacture a reliable tyre pump that doesn't fall apart after 1 use!

Any recommendations or just feel free to join me in a rant? :lol:

Recently bought a Ring Digital RTC1000.  Plugs into E46 and E82 cig lighter sockets no problem. Hose stows neatly, cable winds up and it comes in a zip up case. Best thing about it is that it pumps up tyres pretty quickly. Auto Express rated top of the 'mini' tyre inflators: 

https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/accessories-tyres/89534/best-mini-air-compressors-for-car-tyres

1 hour ago, whiskychaser said:

Recently bought a Ring Digital RTC1000.  Plugs into E46 and E82 cig lighter sockets no problem. Hose stows neatly, cable winds up and it comes in a zip up case. Best thing about it is that it pumps up tyres pretty quickly. Auto Express rated top of the 'mini' tyre inflators: 

https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/accessories-tyres/89534/best-mini-air-compressors-for-car-tyres

Thats the one I had that failed just after 12 months… Tried to sort something via Ring customer services, they weren’t interested at all

I went off the plug in ones as they would run the battery down unless you had the car running - I tried one of those Michelin cordless ones (12267?) with the battery in but it died after about 13 months - luckily Halfords gave me a full refund. Now I have a Makita LXT one - brilliant little thing with a 3 year warranty and batteries that I use on the rest of my tools. 

1 hour ago, sharkfan said:

I went off the plug in ones as they would run the battery down unless you had the car running - I tried one of those Michelin cordless ones (12267?) with the battery in but it died after about 13 months - luckily Halfords gave me a full refund. Now I have a Makita LXT one - brilliant little thing with a 3 year warranty and batteries that I use on the rest of my tools. 

Yeah, I never use mine without the engine going

But when at home, I'll plug it into a plug socket adapter, makes life easier

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07PDG61KW/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_glt_fabc_JXS7ZSB9EFH1VMBE1NSQ

2 hours ago, d_a_n1979 said:

Thats the one I had that failed just after 12 months… Tried to sort something via Ring customer services, they weren’t interested at all

Murphy's law. Bought through Amazon so should have a two year warranty.  

I have a Ring one in the car for 'emergency' needs, but i actually use this track pump for inflating the tyres on my Car, Motorbike & Mountain Bike - the inbuilt adapter covers Presta, Schrader & Dunlop valves. It Inflates tyres really quickly and the pressure gauge is accurate too. 

It's also easy enough to chuck in the car when going away on a trip if i need it. 

10 hours ago, whiskychaser said:

Murphy's law. Bought through Amazon so should have a two year warranty.  

I did; Amazon were no help at all and told me to communicate with the manufacturer

I've been a Prime member for years...!

13 hours ago, sharkfan said:

I have a Makita LXT one - brilliant little thing with a 3 year warranty and batteries that I use on the rest of my tools. 

I've got one of these too, it's a pleasure not having to plug into separate battery power and the Makita batteries seem to last forever

d-a-n 1979.

How accurate is the pressure reading with this unit?  Need a new one myself but noticed in the past that any I had tended to be a pound or three out so had to go round again to adjust.   I use a really accurate calibrated hand gauge left over from many moons ago in our Formula Atlantic racing days.

Shamelessly stolen from another forum...

You can get your gauge calibrated at some ISI certified laboratory or workshop.

Another method of checking your gauge at home is as follows: (It looks cumbersome and funny but will work).

You will require about 25 mtr of transparent garden hose and a measuring tape of same size. Also a high rise building where you can arrange the garden hose vertically and should be able to check the water level from different balconies. And one person to help you.

Now connect the one end of hose to your pressure gauge and keep it at the bottom of the building. Keep the other end to the highest possible place on the building. Now fill up the hose with water slowly say up to first floor level balcony. Note down the pressure on your gauge and also the water level height (exactly vertical level plumb - do not take the length of kinks and bend of the hose) from the gauge connection point. Repeat it at other floors.

Now you can calculate the pressure with water. Every 1 meter of water from gauge connection will create a pressure of 1.4223 PSI or 0.098067 bar. The accuracy of the reading is guaranteed within 0.2% to 0.8%

25 meters of water should give you 35.5 PSI on gauge.
20 meters of water should give you 28.4 PSI on gauge.
10 meters of water should give you 14.2 PSI on gauge.

Use any amount of water and just multiply by 1.4223 for every meter of water and voila your gauge is calibrated with sufficient accuracy.

Disadvantage/Advantage: Either people with think you are mad or they may think a new Einstein is born :-)

1 hour ago, oldjohnny said:

d-a-n 1979.

How accurate is the pressure reading with this unit?  Need a new one myself but noticed in the past that any I had tended to be a pound or three out so had to go round again to adjust.   I use a really accurate calibrated hand gauge left over from many moons ago in our Formula Atlantic racing days.

I've got one of these also: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Draper-69924-Pressure-Gauge-Flexible/dp/B0002GV286/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=Draper+69924&qid=1625654448&s=automotive&sr=1-1

And the one I've got currently and the Draper pressure gauge are nigh on bang-on with each other

Many thanks.  Ordering shortly.

I think whoever put together the post shown above by sharkfan  has an obvious medical complication, in that his head is revolving one way and his brain revolving another.  :idea:

There isn't a single tyre pump anyone has mentioned that didn't have a bunch of bad reviews against it, including the Makita which is surprising, seems like its just a case of pick one and hope for the best, preferably while picking a retailer that will make the return easy should it fail...

Thanks for all the responses.

6 minutes ago, max535 said:

There isn't a single tyre pump anyone has mentioned that didn't have a bunch of bad reviews against it, including the Makita which is surprising, seems like its just a case of pick one and hope for the best, preferably while picking a retailer that will make the return easy should it fail...

Thanks for all the responses.

Everything these days has bad reviews; I bought the Ring one although it had bad reviews as know Ring used to be good, but doesn't seem that way any longer

Luck of the draw I think; that's why I've got the Draper gauge too for manual checks etc

Yeah everything gets some bad reviews, and i agree its a bit luck of the draw, a lot of the time you can see which are the good ones because the bad reviews are normally just nit pickers, im just going to pick a mostly well reviewed one locally, and i have a £30 voucher coming from Continental for buying 2 tyres which i can use in Halfrauds or Argous so hopefully wont cost me much at all :)

Oh and for accurate measurements i have a handy gauge i bought years ago for track days and its always bang on.

Edited by max535

On 06/07/2021 at 18:51, max535 said:

I've had a couple of manual tyre pumps which you would think would be reliable including a Michelin branded one, but no they all just collapse after a couple of uses, absolutely useless!

Oh yes, had the TPMS ping a message in the E60 that all was not well.  No problem, I get to the train station and get my Michelin foot pump out the boot and start to pump up the offending tyre, until the rubber hose on the pump splits and what air that is now left in the tyre is suddenly emptying itself into the atmosphere, making the whole situation even worse.  Words were said that aren't suitable for use on here but lets say the gist was "Oh bother".

Nothing for it but to source a footpump in my lunch hour in Glasgow so I can pump the sodding thing up to drive home.

Machine Mart came to the rescue with this one

https://www.machinemart.co.uk/p/clarke-fp150-single-cylinder-foot-pump/

It's been fine for the occasional use, but I have a 3hp compressor that I use to inflate the tyres at home which is then checked off a with a pressure gauge which is a match for my pencil gauge so I've got a reasonable degree of comfort that the pressures are good.

Before the Michelin one let me down badly, I had many years great service from a trusty Draper one.  In fact my wife still carries a Draper footpump in her car.

Folk will only go online to moan, very very few go on line to say the its wonderful.

Which is why I like asking end users on here of what they think of their choices

I wouldn’t bother trying to get one with an accurate gauge. Get a separate gauge you can trust (as you need to check your pressures way more often than you need to inflate your tyres, so you need a good gauge anyway) and just use the one on the inflator as a rough guide.

Unless I’m in a rush, I usually over-inflate slightly, then use my standalone gauge to accurately deflate to the pressure I want.

Agree totally.  Get a good handheld gauge to complete the set up properly, especially if going on long trips.

I use a 'digital' halfords cordless pump with air bed /inflatables attachments and USB charging port. Mains or 12v cigarette port re chargeable. 

Like the others, I had returns / replacements in mind 7 days a week but it keeps going. 

Gripes are the charging point is under the unit, the charging plug seems to be unique and it screws onto the valve. Solved the last one by buying a universal adapter with clip fitting 

4 hours ago, stevenc3828 said:

I use a 'digital' halfords cordless pump with air bed /inflatables attachments and USB charging port. Mains or 12v cigarette port re chargeable. 

Like the others, I had returns / replacements in mind 7 days a week but it keeps going. 

Gripes are the charging point is under the unit, the charging plug seems to be unique and it screws onto the valve. Solved the last one by buying a universal adapter with clip fitting 

I have one of these; I still use it for air-beds and stuff but the compressor for tyres died in the end.