Oilburner

Diesel Fuel Filter Change

Diesel Fuel Filter Change, this was the first change for the fuel filter at 32,300 miles, I noted that BMW say approx 37,700 but as it was convenient for me to do it early, this was how I completed the task warning picture heavy, tools I  used 8 mm and 10 mm sockets, Milwaukee M12IR-201B 12v 1x2.0Ah Li-ion 3/8in Cordless Impact Ratchet, just socket set would do, but there is a lot of small bolts to undo, and the impact ratchet is ideal and quick, Cutters if this is the first filter change to cut of old fuel pipe clips, Screwdriver to prise of U clip, Wheel  ramps, although you can use a Hydraulic Jack and Axle Stands jacking up the near side, a Container to catch the diesel when removing old filter,  nitrile gloves, you should wear Safety Glasses to prevent any diesel that may splash in your eyes, finally if this is the first fuel filter change you need  Jubilee Clip as the original clips are one use only, I used two stainless jubilee clips one at each end as I found it easier to put the U clip back in the new filter and fuel heater unit of the car.

Caution If using a Hydraulic Jack you must use Axle Stands to secure the vehicle safely,  I've seen a few youtube videos online using just a jack to change the diesel fuel filter this method could lead to a fatal accident.

Once of the ground remove all the small 8mm bolts from the under body plastic tray this will expose the fuel filter which is situated  just behind the N/S front wheel and the front passenger door.

Removing-Plastic-Cover.jpg

Plastic-Cover-Removed.jpg

Old-Fuel-Filter-in-Situ.jpg

Remove U the Clip it can be prised out using a screwdriver, also remove the fuel pipe clips as required when pulling of the fuel pipe be aware diesel may spray out, then remove the fuel filter clamp fixing bolt.

Remove-U-Shaped-Clip.jpg

Old-Original-Fuel-Filter-Mahle.jpg

Note:- BMW Used Mahle Diesel Fuel Filter

New-Fuel-Filter.jpg

Remove-Insulation-Rubber-and-fit-to-New-

Remove rubber insulation from old filter and fit to new filter in the same place.

Fit-New-Supplied-Rubber-Washer.jpg

Fit rubber washer that is supplied with new filter as shown.

New-Filter-Fitted.jpg

Refitting  new diesel fuel filter, fuel pipe clips, securing U shaped clip, and secure fuel filter mounting bracket.

Before refitting underbody plastic tray check for any fuel leaks with engine started, the initial starting to get fuel back to engine, I pressed the ignition on and off several times without engaging the starter, then after a few cranks the fuel system had self primed and started, you can also use ISTA to prime the fuel system but from what I've been told garages don't use it either to prime the fuel system after changing out a fuel filter.

Plastic-Cover-Cleaned-Ready-Re-Fit.jpg

I did wash and clean both sides of the underbody plastic tray before refitting, but this is my OCD coming out.

I did have to resort to getting my wife to help hold the underbody tray up whilst I secure the first couple of bolts, with the underbody tray  being quite flexible and long, it was proving very difficult to get the bolt holes lined up, once you get the first couple in its ok.
Edited by Oilburner
Change to the title

Since I purchased the 3/8" Drive MIlwaukee M12IR-201B GB2 battery powered impact wrench at the start of this year, I just wished I had purchased it years ago it is so handy to use in tight places, just bear in mind it's not a replacement for an Impact gun which is used for high torque and larger stuff, for tight nuts or bolts you can still use it as you would any socket wrench to crack the nut or bolt by hand first, then squeeze the trigger for fast removal.

I'm pleased the write-up is of some use to our forum members.

For more information regarding the Milwaukee M12IR-201B check out its many uses on youtube.

Anyone interested in purchasing the same Milwaukee impact wrench it come complete with battery charger, 2.0Ah Battery, 3/8" to 1/4" adapter, and carry case, can be purchased at the moment for an excellent price £119 from FXX

https://www.ffx.co.uk/product/Get/Milwaukee-M12Ir-201B-4002395006984-12V-1X2.0Ah-Li-Ion-3-8In-Cordless-Impact-Ratchet?gclid=EAIaIQobChMImeybmtvO8QIVtWLmCh239AYoEAQYDSABEgK4cfD_BwE

Edited by Oilburner

Likewise, after treading this I want the Milwaukee, but needs say I should replace my Dremel type tool first before investing in another power tool for working on the car.  Good article in the November 2019 Car Mechanics mag discussing the range of impact ratchets.  They liked the Milwaukee too. But gave the same score to both the Draper Storm 10.8V and the Sealey 12V one.

7 hours ago, scz4 said:

Are they never changed as per BMW servicing schedule? 

Its meant to be done every 3rd oil change the same time as the air filter.

Its meant to be done every 3rd oil change the same time as the air filter.

@scz4

Air filter and Fuel Filter on Fxx diesel cars should be replaced every 2 scheduled Oil Services NOT every 3rd.

Edited by Matthew Ashton

Yes its every other oil change, I was looking at my dads service history and it was the third entry in his record, not the third oil service.

See what happens when you don't read properly.

Good job we have @Matthew Ashton to keep us all (o.k. so mostly me) right.

My own observation on the diesel fuel filter change intervals, as I stated above my diesel fuel filter had been in place for 32,300 miles since I purchased the vehicle new, my own  filter would have easily done 37,500 miles, I did carefully cut open the old filter just to see what condition it was in, I was surprised how clean the filter was, there was no build up of fine debris in the pleats, the only probable difference being slight discolouration of the filter material from you would expect to see in a new fuel filter, unfortunately I did not take any photos of the filter I cut open to prove what I observed, as this is the same filter as fitted to the mini cooper diesel 1.6 and 2.0 engine I observed the exact same on my wife's mini cooper fuel filter when cut open, in which the diesel filter was at least 4 1/2 years old, that was when the wife's Mini TLC servicing expired, and I know it had been changed at least once before at the mini dealers, because they had fitted a jubilee clip on the fuel line and the original like BMW is a one use only clip.

Generally I only fill up from mostly from Asda  along with occasional Shell V Power Diesel, and I never let it drop below half a tank, so my findings may not be what others experience regarding the diesel filter service life interval.

15 minutes ago, 535i Andrew said:

Is that every year for you then @marko530d

Around 18m @535i Andrew was last done 156k last August so will change again 170k. 

Currently 163k 

Edited by marko530d