vpcaptain

E87 LCI - N43B20A - NOX Sensor replacement

Hi Guys / Girls, recently bought an 59 plate E87 LCI 116i with N43B20A engine and it’s ran smoothly until I bought a Foxwell NT510 and scanned for codes:- It’s picked up the NOX sensor codes listed 2AF2 Nitrogen-Oxide Sensor Lambda Linear,  2AF4 - Nitrogen-Oxide Sensor Electric, 2AF9 Nitrogen-Oxide Sensor NOX Signal Coast mode check  and 30DA - DME Nitrogen-Oxide Sensor Signal. I cleared the codes and drove 350 mile trip but noticed that at idle the engine was running roughly and with a little bit of blow back after pressing the accel pedal.

Now I know I need to replace the NOX sensor - a genuine one from BMW branded Continental can be purchased from a reputable seller online for £250-300, avoiding the Chinese fakes at £100 ( bad spelling and welding on the sensor near the nut ) 

Problem is I don’t mind swapping out the failed sensor with a new one but read that you have to use INPA to code the new sensor and reset adaptions etc for both the NOX sensor and the NOX Catalytic convertor. ( which possibly results in the engine running rough while it learns the new adaptions )

I’ve also read on the NOXEM website bimmerprofs that if you have left it too long after having the original NOX sensor fail, simply replacing the NOX sensor is a waste of time as the NOX Cat will be ruined ? 

Also living just out of Glasgow has anyone got a reputable bmw Indy who I can trust to carry out the coding and or fitting ? ( would ideally want some kind of warranty that if they supply and fit they are using a genuine part and not a fake Chinese one ) 

Thanks for any help 

Cheers

Edited by vpcaptain
Coding additions

Thanks for the posts and was still researching the noxem emulator the guy seems to know his stuff. How much would be looking for the used nox sensor by the way ? Cheers

On 04/07/2021 at 11:27, vpcaptain said:

Also living just out of Glasgow has anyone got a reputable bmw Indy who I can trust to carry out the coding and or fitting ? 

Owen Ferry in Paisley is a BMW indy.  I have not used him so cannot vouch for his work tho.  Just a suggestion.

https://owenferryauto.com/

Decent indy in Paisley is Hendrie Graham on Canal Street.  They do the MOTs on my F10 now, honest guys who've all been there for years.  Collin's Tyres on the Beith Road in Johnstone are also to be highly recommended in the same part of the world.

How hard are the Nox's to replace @Sir Anthony Regents-Park as I suspect I know who's going to have to help/lend tools to the op! :lol:

£45 posted - how long it will last is anyone's guess. They're a bit unpredictable. This one worked OK and they need coding to the car. 

Easy to change though - four Torx for the tunnel brace under the car, pull the exhaust heat shield back and you'll see the two 8mm bolts that secure the sensor and bracket to the tunnel. Then two plug connectors and a 22mm for the sensor probe into the rear exhaust. A slightly fiddly job.

The N43 engine isn't BMW's best and they have a terrible reputation that is richly deserved. If it's not the NoX sensor it's the injectors, or the timing chain guides, or a low oil pressure warning because the oil pump is tired or the balance shaft bearings are worn out or the oil pressure solenoid is faulty.

Apart from that they're OK. :lol:

Thanks will pm you my details to organise payment etc.

lol yeah I’m noticing the common threads on injectors, timing chain guides etc but I wanted something to learn on so will keep me and Andrew busy :razz:

2 hours ago, vpcaptain said:

For a suitable liquid compensation :-)

Oh yes.

We need to figure out if we can code it with our machines or not. 

I’ll have the Torx bits/sockets, you’ll need to get the 22mm sensor socket. Or you just cut the wires and we horse it off with my 22mm ring spanner.