RiccardoG

Help re headlight aim adjustment

Hi All,

Took the E39 for MOT Friday and I think they broke one of the hexagonal headlight aim adjusters (the white ones, 2x per side). This is not the same as the internal electric height adjusters, this is the mechanical one for the aim of the lights.

The car is facelift with the "angel eyes" (ie: corona lights... guess back in the year 2000 they had no idea what that would come to mean!).

Was hoping someone could help with:

- Can these be fixed at all? MOT garage says they need a new headlamp (£500...)?

- Its only the white hexagonal bit that is broken, the round cog underneath it is still ok - can the aim be adjusted with that?

Thanks in advance for any help!

They adjust one of the internal adjusters, so these will need to be fixed, as per the other thread going. 

It is the adjuster that's broken internally 

It's either that, or a new headlight (halogen ones are c£250 each or c£600 plus for the xenons 

If they have just rounded the white hex you can adjust on the 10mm hex on the gear underneath 

Thanks for the pointers. I had a better look and, while the white adjuster screw is indeed broken off, even while turning the 10mm hex one beneath it there is no adjustment effect.

Dan, where can you source new units for only £250? I've seen them for ~£350 on ebay etc.

49 minutes ago, RiccardoG said:

Thanks for the pointers. I had a better look and, while the white adjuster screw is indeed broken off, even while turning the 10mm hex one beneath it there is no adjustment effect.

Dan, where can you source new units for only £250? I've seen them for ~£350 on ebay etc.

Ah; prices seem to have gone up slight sorry:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=bmw+e39+hella+headlight&_sacat=0&Brand=Hella&_dcat=44240&LH_ItemCondition=1000&_sop=2

Ensure the ones you get end in 591 & 601; they're for RHD cars, ours in the UK ;) 571 & 581 or LHD FYI!

Have you looked on Eurocarparts and checked to see what discount code their running?

If not new; then as per the other thread a few down that you have commented in, get your current ones fixed and polished :) 

Thanks Dan.

I've had a look on ECP, AutoDoc and C3 BMW. For the Hella lights C3 was cheapest at £250 but they somehow now seem to have gone to £350 since Monday! Next best is Autodoc at £275. Thanks for the tip on the Hella part number, I had been struggling with that!

There is also a Depo brand new one at £180 but I'd have to collect. Plus, I'm not sure its an exact match.

In the meantime I've also bought the adjusters and think I will have a go myself. Still not decided whether I will bake them or try without.

Worse comes I can always buy the new one.

12 minutes ago, RiccardoG said:

Thanks Dan.

I've had a look on ECP, AutoDoc and C3 BMW. For the Hella lights C3 was cheapest at £250 but they somehow now seem to have gone to £350 since Monday! Next best is Autodoc at £275. Thanks for the tip on the Hella part number, I had been struggling with that!

There is also a Depo brand new one at £180 but I'd have to collect. Plus, I'm not sure its an exact match.

In the meantime I've also bought the adjusters and think I will have a go myself. Still not decided whether I will bake them or try without.

Worse comes I can always buy the new one.

Stay away from Depo; they're shite and made for the PFL cars, they don't fit the FL cars unless you swap plugs across

9 minutes ago, RiccardoG said:

Dan, when I look at Autodoc it shows the "601" light for "left hand drive traffic". Is this different from what you're saying, or am I getting confused?

https://www.autodoc.co.uk/hella/931772

No; 591 & 601 are RHD; 571 & 581 are LHD :) 

oh, and I'd personally pay more to get them from a UK reseller than use Autodoc... They're delivery times are a joke and you've no idea when the part will be landing with you, until it arrives that day as their tracking never works until the last minute!

Edited by d_a_n1979

sorry if too late to this topic but you can get replacement parts, just search ebay for BMW E39 Headlight adjuster cog. Fitting the top part should be straightforward as all you need to do is turn the bottom cog to slacken the adjuster, pull it out a bit and slide in the new top cog. The bottom cog though isn't easy as you need to ensure the bolt that goes into the headlight is held in place whilst you press the cog on. Alternatively, I did my own fix. See pictures:

Basically the rear facing cog is pushed onto the knurled bolt that goes through to the internal adjusters. The cog gets brittle and just gets worn away by the knurls. Once this happens you now face the problem of the knurled bolt sliding into the headlight. My solution is to drill a small hole in the knurled bolt, cut a v across the cog and slide a small pin between the cog and into the hole in the bolt. Will last a few more years, fingers crossed.

IMG_3491.jpeg

IMG_3492.jpeg

Not bad solution actually, good to bare in mind. I have faced this problem previously on other cars, usually tried several types of glue etc, some least, some not really, but this might be one long lasting solutions. Hardest part must be drilling through small metal shaft I believe.