Sign in to follow this  
d_a_n1979

Very late 04 E39 530i Sport touring

Feedback from a PH member:

"Cars an absolute turd. Timing chain slapping, EML flickering on acceleration. Stinks of fags, just a disgusting motor, shame as I planned to walk away with it".

Looks like one to be avoided at all costs!

Instantly re-listed.

Apparently the owner has mapped it themselves - that would concern me. Not knocking what they’ve done, but I’d rather be 9bhp down on the standard map until the engine was proven to be in perfect fettle.

Also, is an “Alpina Gearbox Map” a thing? Genuinely interested...

1 hour ago, CG172 said:

Instantly re-listed.

Apparently the owner has mapped it themselves - that would concern me. Not knocking what they’ve done, but I’d rather be 9bhp down on the standard map until the engine was proven to be in perfect fettle.

It's all a load of bollocks IMO and I'd stay well clear of it

Just the above feedback that was on PH about that car in the 'Smoker Barges' thread gives off enough warning alarms

10 hours ago, CG172 said:

Reading through the blurb from Alpina E39 brochures there is a different set of ECU software for the genuine Alpina gearboxes but it's important to know the gearbox and torque convertor themselves have different part numbers to the standard BMW fare - meaning they have different components in them. A chap on the Alpina Register had to have his E46 Switch-Tronic gearbox rebuilt a few years ago and after contacting ZF themselves had it confirmed that there are different physical components in the Alpina specified gearbox than the BMW item.

On 13/07/2021 at 07:44, sharkfan said:

Reading through the blurb from Alpina E39 brochures there is a different set of ECU software for the genuine Alpina gearboxes but it's important to know the gearbox and torque convertor themselves have different part numbers to the standard BMW fare - meaning they have different components in them. A chap on the Alpina Register had to have his E46 Switch-Tronic gearbox rebuilt a few years ago and after contacting ZF themselves had it confirmed that there are different physical components in the Alpina specified gearbox than the BMW item.

Ah very interesting, I was wondering about that after reading the ad too.

xHP remaps on the 6-speed auto boxes are brilliant, I have flashed them onto my 335i but they don't do the 5 speed sadly.