suj999

G30 going from 20" to 19" - Options

Hi all, likely taking delivery of a 2 year old G30 530d to replace my F10 in the next week.

The car has 20" v-spoke 759i and I much rather have the smaller 19" like double-spoke 664m or similar..

Have anyone else done it? Any other options other than going the Ebay route?  Do people in here like 20".

On my test drive a while back I actually preferred the 18" ones..

I've considered the same but it must be said that the 20" wheels + RFT are not that bad.  I got myself a set of 18" 619 wheels for some winter tyres (also RFT) as well.  There is a difference between them but perhaps not as much as I expected.  I suspect the most noticeable difference is when you hit a big pothole and possibly high speed, heavy braking; the 20s feel more stable.  Although I haven't done it myself I doubt if the 1" wheel diameter reduction on like for like tyres will deliver a dramatic difference.  If you're prepared to consider conventional tyres with the 19s I suspect that would be noticeable and I'd be interested to hear how you go.

I think tyres will make a bigger impact. On my F10 switching to non-RFT's transformed the car. I'm tempted to do the same on the G30 when the current RFT's need replacing, even though the 20's feel absolutely fine to me. As Coaster says, it's pot holes or other sudden jolts that make you take note, everything else feels good, but I suspect non-RFT's will be better.

Non-RFT's, a breakdown service, and an emergency pump and gunk kit should make things much nicer.

The G30 for the majority of the time felt fine too me on 20" run flats. There were occasions when hitting a pot hole would make me think I wonder about non-rft's. However most people who I took in the car commented on how well it rode considering it was on 20's.

The biggest difference will come from dropping the RFTs not changing the rims. Night and day in terms of pliability which will reflect in the ride.   

However, when you take a chunk out of a side wall on a cold wet winters night, I’ll guarantee you’ll be wishing you still had RFTs! 

Tyre gunk only fills small holes and that little compressor you're sure have will take forever.

I’m running 20” P Zeros (255x40 & 285x30) absolutely no complaints.

Folk get too anal about rim size IMHO

Edited by Old Codger