CB 987

E39 M5

Hi all,

I posted a wanted advert a few months ago as I have been hunting for a facelift Oxford Green E39 M5 for a while, not an easy task!

I’m looking at widening my search to consider other examples, so thought I would pop a wanted advert up in case anyone is thinking of selling over the coming months. I understand ULEZ is going to start impacting London residents from October, which might force a few more examples to the market. I’ve also joined a few of the Facebook groups to keep an eye on anything which comes up for sale.

Without trying to be too specific here’s what I’m looking for:

A facelift car - as I would like isofix, which I understand was only offered on facelift cars?

I don’t want to pay a premium for a low mileage example as I intend to use it, so probably something with at least 80k miles, more likely 100k plus miles. I’d consider a higher mileage car if the condition and history is decent and the price reflects the miles.

Colours - I’m trying not be too fussy for the time being, so let’s keep it open for now…. I’d love something individual to make it a bit more special, but in reality I’ll settle for something more common. I actually prefer the heritage leather interior option, but I appreciate this isn’t that common.

Pricing - I’m pretty sure I’ve got a decent budget, I am aware that prices have started moving northwards again recently, but equally I know some examples have been sticking around.

A nice silver example with black heritage leather and 132k miles is currently up for sale with Jason Barker. This is a good example of what I want, but not at £23k! It doesn’t seem like that long ago and that car would have been a lot less.

History & Condition - The best I can manage, but in reality I know these are 20 year old M cars with multiple owners. Ideally an honest, enthusiast owned example, with a solid history, some bigger jobs such as timing chains and rust repairs would be a bonus.

Cheers

Edited by CB 987

I think there are a fair few people in your situation with not too dissimilar requirements. Unfortunately, it looks like price will be filtering out a lot of those hopeful buyers. Prices for the E39 M5 seem to have increased then hardened (stabilised at higher levels) since early spring this year, at least that what I've found by keeping a keen eye on the classifieds and auction prices.

Putting my M5 into WBAC's online valuation tool recently produced a figure just shy of £17k and it's worth remembering that figure is WBAC's (aka British Car Auctions) pre-auction figure. BCA would expect to see a few £K return on that when the hammer comes down in the auction, then there's a further uplift in price once the dealer who bought the car adds their markup. So the £17k car quite quickly becomes a circa £25k car...or maybe more?

Private sales should offer better value but, from what I've seen, private seller prices seem to be only marginally less then dealer prices.

Is Isofix a deal breaker for you? I always thought (good condition) pre-facelift cars offered the best value since they were less popular but offered all the performance of their younger brethren.

Good luck with your quest.

Edited by DepthHoar

Thanks for your input, I agree with your view of the current market, I hope that things might calm down a little bit over the coming months. A few cars sold very well earlier this year, to be honest I didn't really think they were worth the money being paid, but two people clearly disagreed with this at auction and pushed the prices up.

I certainly wouldn't rule out a decent pre-facelift example, my preference is a facelift and I hope up to and around £20k ish that would be achievable. 

Cheers.

Keep in mind also that Isofix was not standard across all facelift cars (I understand it appeared some time on 2002 builds). 

If you are able to consider an alternative child restraint system this would widen your pool of potential cars.

Isofix would be nice, but not a deal breaker if a car doesn’t happen to have it. I’d just buy a couple of extra car seats.

Hi,

Oxford Green, Caramel Leather , 2000 registered/ Pre-Facelift model, 162K miles, Cat C at £12995 has come up on Face Ache marketplace a couple days ago. It's right by Gatwick airport. 

I think you may have already seen it/been tagged, but I couldn't remember your 'name' !

Cat C obviously a major detractor, but given there's hardly any about in this colour, you might have to go view it with an intention to possibly buy if it seems it's ok/decent enough. 

If you do go with it, please create a thread for it! the seller has listed to have £3-5K in hand to make it cosmetically and mechanically fine at least !

Good luck!

Cheers, Dennis!

Hi thanks, I saw it when it was advertised by the previous owner a few months ago, I can’t remember how much exactly but I think it was around £10-£11k. I guess the trader bought it then realised how much work it needed! Colour combo is spot on, but the rest just isn’t quite right for me.

Cheers.

Hi CB987, 

That example has now sold and I think at or just under £10k. 

It's that waiting game currently, could take many months and even years for the 'one' you want to pop up, or you might get lucky and it'll come up for sale next week !

A more modified M5 came up a few weeks ago at £16k and within a few days dropped to £12K, some more 'comments' and then it was then sold for ..     £6K! the new owner is going about putting it back to oem now. 

As ever, asking prices are all inflated currently for the low end and middle range examples and also, for some of the much better condition examples as well as ones you just have to laugh at where big obvious flaws are visible in pictures and asking prices are £30K plus. The 'very' best examples are selling at high selling price levels, but those examples are far and few between currently !

Cheers, Dennis!