Splondike

530i Touring Manual

After a sabbatical from having a BMW as my main car, with the Landcruiser Amazon and then the E350 the count went back up to four in the house during lockdown one.

I discovered a poor dejected looking E39 touring in Welling that had been languishing unloved for a period of time and another forum member pointed me in the direction of the car and thought the owner would take a sensible offer for it.  So a bit of a "barn find", only out in the open...........

......not really.  It was Steve's (Oxo) and as such had been well looked after and nicely brought up to spec during his ownership and was too nice to pass up :)

When Steve first got the car around 2014 it was a nice individual Orient Blue 530i Manual which he set about bringing up to sport spec.

Orient 1.jpg

He added sport bumpers and a sport headlining and then set about bringing up to spec and when I got it had the following:

New Clutch, New Flywheel, Rear crank oil seal, New Clutch Slave cylinder, New Radiator, New expansion tank, Gearbox oil seals front and rear, New ABS unit, Underside checked, Brake lines cleaned and undersealed, New brakes / disks etc, New suspension all round, new rear air bags, New springs, New shocks, New Steering arms, New drop links, New windscreen, New black Headlining, New front and rear sport bumpers, 7 x Rotagrid wheels, New door cards, New exhaust, New vacuum hoses, Diff oil changed, Gearbox oil changed

New Viscous coupling and fan.

So too good to pass up really.  I got her home and she looked like this:

20200503_104127.jpg

20200503_104159.jpg

20200501_131810.jpg

Immediately I wanted to update the interior a little, so I found a nice set of brushed aluminum trim and the later sport steering wheel to give the interior a lift. 

20200503_102121.jpg

Whilst mechanically perfect and a nice looking thing,  the front offside wing was a pattern item and the paint had reacted and was letting the side down a little, and on the rear was a crack where a dent had been filled so it needed those areas attending to.  I found a perfect original BMW wing and sent it into the paint shop to get these areas remedied.  I was not expecting the outcome but once the filler was removed the size of the dent in rear wing was revealed !

IMG-20201117-WA0007.jpg

The bodyshop did a brilliant job of removing all the filler and re-shaping the panel before addressing any other issues with the doors and painting the whole side !

IMG-20201120-WA0001.jpg

She came home looking stunning.

IMG-20201208-WA0017.jpg

IMG-20201208-WA0026.jpg

Having got used to a couple of cars with decent audio systems I set about upgrading the sounds with a Kenwood head unit a Rockford Fosgate amp and 10" sub in a bespoke enclosure and some nice Focal audio speakers up front.  I am quite happy with the sound now.

20200821_183736.jpg

Whilst I liked the Rotas I felt it was making it look a 520i trying to be something it was not, and with fond memories of my previous 530i Touring on 19" parallels I had a look around for some.  However they seemed to be pretty hard to come by so started to look for OEM 18" ones.    Whilst doing so I discovered a set of the 19s which were nice and straight but had been painted in plain silver.

20210216_090329[1].jpg

So I had them re-furbed with a slightly darker silver centre and here is the result:

20210311_171425.jpg20210311_171333.jpg

The eagle eyed will have noticed the change of plate to an ageless one which cost £46 plus the fee to swap.  I also had to fit a tow bar as it has to do some towing duties.  But I am quite happy with the result and will now enjoy.  I did have to replace the front arms due to the famous E39 shimmy despite them being replaced fairly recently, I am not sure if the big spacers on the Rotagrids had a part to play in this but she drives perfectly now :D  Big thanks to Steve for letting her go,  Perfect Paint for the excellent work and Diamond Cut for a lovely job on the wheels.

Now what to upgrade next :rolleyes:

Hi Splondike/M !

Excellent pickup from Steve and a continuation of the good work he'd done to the car!  Some nice updates and personalisation you wanted as well ! 

There's always plenty that can be upgraded/changed/modified ;)

Cheers, Dennis!

I mean it's ok s'pose.... Doesn't look too bad... 

;):cool: 

I do like that; sits so well on those 19s :mrgreen: Their colour works so well too; great finish!

Sorry to necro the thread but that head unit looks fantastic. May I ask what it is?. By this I mean is it a double din Kenwood with the outer of a BMW OEM unit?. Or is this a unit Kenwood make?

It looks like a factory fit and looks brilliant 

On 8/6/2021 at 9:52 PM, choppermeir said:

Sorry to necro the thread but that head unit looks fantastic. May I ask what it is?. By this I mean is it a double din Kenwood with the outer of a BMW OEM unit?. Or is this a unit Kenwood make?

It looks like a factory fit and looks brilliant 

@DennisCooper... 

Hi,

Thanks for the mention CG172!

Choppermuir - It is a double DIN Kenwood head unit and is fitted into a fascia/fitting kit I designed and manufacture to give an OEM look. All details, information and pictures are here - 

Drop me a message if you like with any further questions etc.

Cheers, Dennis!

On 08/08/2021 at 12:21, DennisCooper said:

Hi,

Thanks for the mention CG172!

Choppermuir - It is a double DIN Kenwood head unit and is fitted into a fascia/fitting kit I designed and manufacture to give an OEM look. All details, information and pictures are here - 

Drop me a message if you like with any further questions etc.

Cheers, Dennis!

Very nice, I'll definitely be in touch once I've got a few other jobs on the car out of the way. Thank you

As above, yeah sorry.  It's indeed a double din Kenwood DMX125 unit and Innovadrive.

I have been away on hols to Yorkshire and not been around much, car performed faultlessly as you would expect :)

Piccy at Elvington with a bunch of cool jets ! A Meteor, a couple of Hunters, a Tornado, a Buccaneer and a Javelin :mrgreen:

20210811_163938.jpg

Sadly I am going to be putting the touring up for sale, which is a pity after all the effort to get it how I wanted it.  I am returning to the office next month having worked at home 90% of the time during covid times and my role now means more traveling round the country to a number of new sites.  I don't really want to pile thousands of miles onto this car really so a newer diesel will probably make more sense going forward.  I would have done it sooner but things have been a bit difficult as my father became very ill over the last month and sadly passed away on Sunday.   I will put an advert up in the for sale section once I have completed my upcoming university drop off duties.  I have drafted an advert a while back, I just need to take some decent pictures.  If anyone wants any details before then drop me a pm.

1 hour ago, Splondike said:

Sadly I am going to be putting the touring up for sale, which is a pity after all the effort to get it how I wanted it.  I am returning to the office next month having worked at home 90% of the time during covid times and my role now means more traveling round the country to a number of new sites.  I don't really want to pile thousands of miles onto this car really so a newer diesel will probably make more sense going forward.  I would have done it sooner but things have been a bit difficult as my father became very ill over the last month and sadly passed away on Sunday.   I will put an advert up in the for sale section once I have completed my upcoming university drop off duties.  I have drafted an advert a while back, I just need to take some decent pictures.  If anyone wants any details before then drop me a pm.

Sorry to hear re your father :(  Hope all is as well as can be.

Re the touring; it'll sell. They're becoming fewer & fewer, more so the manuals.

If you dare; stick it on the relevant E39 Touring Sell/Buy Facebook group as there's a few folk on there looking for tourings currently. If you're not on FB; I'll pop a post on linking it to here if you list it on here :)