Sign in to follow this  
wiewiorowski

Good places to find spare body parts?

Hi there,

I'm looking for some spares for my Sapphire Black E39. Front door, wing, bumper. Rather than try to patch up scratches and pull out dents, I thought I'd try to find original parts and swap them out.

While I'm finding it hard to find exact matching parts via breakers, I did come across this website. Looks like they have some good aftermarket parts, but I wondered if anyone has used them before? I figured I could get a primed bumper, ask a paint shop to colour match it for me, and then fit it myself. 

Any other ideas would be much appreciated!

19 minutes ago, wiewiorowski said:

Hi there,

I'm looking for some spares for my Sapphire Black E39. Front door, wing, bumper. Rather than try to patch up scratches and pull out dents, I thought I'd try to find original parts and swap them out.

While I'm finding it hard to find exact matching parts via breakers, I did come across this website. Looks like they have some good aftermarket parts, but I wondered if anyone has used them before? I figured I could get a primed bumper, ask a paint shop to colour match it for me, and then fit it myself. 

Any other ideas would be much appreciated!

Speak to @Tims on here or someone like Simon Garland of Rotrip (on FB on the E39 Buy/Sell groups) or his eBay page: https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/rotripbmwspares

Nothing Sapphire Black in stock at the moment

Out of interest ( @d_a_n1979 @Tims ) is a colour code (“sapphire black” here for example) likely to be consistent enough from one vehicle to another to allow panels to be swapped without bother?

Off topic, but I need a new bonnet for my cosmosscwartz E39 and just assumed I’d have something resprayed - possibly even blended into the wings...

28 minutes ago, CG172 said:

Out of interest ( @d_a_n1979 @Tims ) is a colour code (“sapphire black” here for example) likely to be consistent enough from one vehicle to another to allow panels to be swapped without bother?

Off topic, but I need a new bonnet for my cosmosscwartz E39 and just assumed I’d have something resprayed - possibly even blended into the wings...

Generally yes...

Think titansilver is generally a hard one to match due to the many variations of the colour etc... 

Re the respray; personally that's what I'd do and did with mine. The front end was dull due to the heat in Japan; so had the whole front end resprayed; made the most sense etc 

5 hours ago, d_a_n1979 said:

Generally yes...

Think titansilver is generally a hard one to match due to the many variations of the colour etc... 

Re the respray; personally that's what I'd do and did with mine. The front end was dull due to the heat in Japan; so had the whole front end resprayed; made the most sense etc 

Ok, good to know. Thanks mate.  :)

9 hours ago, wiewiorowski said:

Roughly how much does it cost to have a piece of bodywork, like a door, resprayed? I’ve never had any body work done, so even a ballpark would be helpful. 

It’s really dependant on the place you use. We had a quote of near £1000 for sills to be repaired and sprayed on our old Alfa GT (of which £800 was paint), as they said they’d have to blend up into the doors / wings. It would probably have been a great job, but was just overkill in my opinion.

Ended up finding a guy who’s around £100 per panel, so I’m expecting to pay in the region of £300 - £350 for bonnet and blend into wings.

Based on his prices a door could be anything from £100 - £300 depending on the standard you require. £100 for just that panel (but accept that it might not be a great match to the adjacent panels), or £300 blended into the adjoining door & wing so that it’s perfect.

A lot of paint shops will just subcontract their welding work out to a local fabricator,  so it’s worth getting metalwork done elsewhere first if it’s required. Also (as tempting as it is) don’t try and do any prep work yourself - chances are the painter will have to undo your work to get to the standard he wants, and to avoid the possibility of compatibility problems between paint types, adding time to the job.

Hope that helps a little...  :)

Edited by CG172

9 hours ago, wiewiorowski said:

Roughly how much does it cost to have a piece of bodywork, like a door, resprayed? I’ve never had any body work done, so even a ballpark would be helpful. 

As @CG172 said; it differs from body shop to body shop

For me, a full front end respray I'd expect to be paying around £500-£800 minimum with my pals body shop; that's a full job, back to metal where necessary and repaint from there

If it's not too bad; a simple flat back and respray is probably all that's needed. But if they find filler or other issues, the prices will rise due to the work needed etc

So it's best to ask 2 or 3 local body shops and go with who you feel comes across best :) 

4 minutes ago, d_a_n1979 said:

As @CG172 said; it differs from body shop to body shop

For me, a full front end respray I'd expect to be paying around £500-£800 minimum with my pals body shop; that's a full job, back to metal where necessary and repaint from there

Sounds like it’s a similar kind of rate - good to know.

I’d also add that you’ll probably need to wait a while for a decent job. Good sprayers are in high demand.