San75

Thinking of going for a 530e from 530d

In the real world how much would I save on diesel if I went for a 530e? At the moment I put in approx £80 diesel every month. Most days I'm only doing about 20 miles. What's the cost of a full charge?

If it’s of any help, I had a 330e over the weekend. 

That has a 12kWh battery and my energy tariff is £0.16 per kWh so it’s less than £2.00 for a full charge. it took 5 hours to charge on a normal socket. 

On the Sunday I had it charged fully, I did 40 miles around town, 33 of which were in e Mode. I averaged about 75mpg. 

it was great around town, but woeful on a longer run. Once battery was gone, it’s struggled to do 40mpg. 

As a car to go around town in, it’s a winner, if that’s your commute, consider it strongly (although I suspect a 530e will be less frugal on the electrical and combustion side as it’s bigger and heavier). 

if you do motorway, probably a miss. I will easily achieve over 50mpg in my X5 (30d) and over 30mog around town - it is remapped however. 

This depends on many many things.

What model year of 530e are you thinking of going for? Early models only do ~16 miles on a charge. Later ones are much better but absolutely make sure you factor that in. Charging costs are low but range is equally low. If your commute is 10 miles each day then a later model one should cover that almost fully in 'e' mode.

My 530e goes back in December and i'll be replacing it with an i4

If it’s of any help, I had a 330e over the weekend. 

That has a 12kWh battery and my energy tariff is £0.16 per kWh so it’s less than £2.00 for a full charge. it took 5 hours to charge on a normal socket. 

On the Sunday I had it charged fully, I did 40 miles around town, 33 of which were in e Mode. I averaged about 75mpg. 

it was great around town, but woeful on a longer run. Once battery was gone, it’s struggled to do 40mpg. 

As a car to go around town in, it’s a winner, if that’s your commute, consider it strongly (although I suspect a 530e will be less frugal on the electrical and combustion side as it’s bigger and heavier). 

if you do motorway, probably a miss. I will easily achieve over 50mpg in my X5 (30d) and over 30mog around town - it is remapped however. 

@sjak92  I've had a 330e  over take me on the motorway, going at an 'incredible' speed.  Must have been well out of battery juice and really flogging the ICE.    My guess was a frustrated company car driver :lol:

hybrid doesnt really cut it.. You can be a hybrid car owning household though , by having an electric car for city, and a diesel for longer drives..  But then it is hardly 'green'  becasue you now have 2 cars in place of 1

1 hour ago, Carrera77 said:

@sjak92  I've had a 330e  over take me on the motorway, going at an 'incredible' speed.  Must have been well out of battery juice and really flogging the ICE.    My guess was a frustrated company car driver :lol:

hybrid doesnt really cut it.. You can be a hybrid car owning household though , by having an electric car for city, and a diesel for longer drives..  But then it is hardly 'green'  becasue you now have 2 cars in place of 1

I’m strongly considering an X5 45e as a replacement for my 30d next time round, although that has a 3.0 litre petrol and apparently does between 45 and 50 miles per charge which I think is acceptable 

I initially thought about the X5 45e as well as a replacement for my G31. I agree the range is just acceptable for a hybrid, just the shear size of it put me off.

A hybrid with a 30 mile max range(15 each way) made no sense for me, reduced boot size and dragging around a heavy battery pack when the charge has depleted is hardly green.

I think the manufacturers have to do better to make a hybrid more viable. 

8 hours ago, aa86 said:

Hi what sort of mog does a 530e ore Lci return non petrol only (once the battery has depleted )

Easy 45mpg in my experience (on a  regular 120 round trip up into the Peak).

LCI. Is definitely more economical than pre-LCI.

60 mpg over 250 miles this weekend to Wales so far setting off with a full charge (only c.40 miles on motorway.)

Edited by Carrman2018

Sorry I meant pre Lci and what sort of mpg round town once the battery has run out 

seemed to see mixed reviews some say 27mpg others 40mpg

thanks 

Depends on a number of factors. Set off with an empty battery this morning on a short 4 mile round trip, did 41mpg. If I have a heavy right foot then ~25-30mpg would be expected. If you have the 530e in eco it'll do well, but very dependant on you driving sensibly and anticipating when to switch to comfort (higher regen braking) and when back to Eco (better free wheeling)

6 hours ago, aa86 said:

Ok thanks so on a 200 mile motorway round trip could you say on empty battery you could get 40mpg ?

In a 530e loan car, Romford to Heathrow and back M25. Rush hour in the morning reasonably clear road in the afternoon 120 miles with a flat battery I got about 42 mpg if that helps

7 hours ago, aa86 said:

Ok thanks so on a 200 mile motorway round trip could you say on empty battery you could get 40mpg ?

Easy - unless you’re a lead foot….

I get 40 mpg ish in a 530d xdrive and over a weekend in a loan 530e, I covered about 170 miles and I managed 16mpg (no charging) I also found it very heavy feeling and less enjoyable to drive, the boot size was also far to small for my needs.