3 minutes ago, Gte86 said:

Those seats look amazing 

They're nice, but I'd not go as far as to say 'amazing' !  in 'general' the half Alcantara option for the Sport seats isn't really coveted nor particularly sought after. I had a set and just a personal thing, I didn't like the centre cloth with the 'cord' look design to it. The Alcantara if not well looked after can begin to look shabby and then there's the high wear areas of the seats too. I'd have preferred the 'opposite' way around where the centres were Alcantara and the sides leather. I bought my set as a stop gap for 5/6 months and sold them the same price I picked them up for - £100. 

That all said, kept in great condition they do appeal to a number of E39 owners and does make a change from the normal leather sport seats choice. I eventually went with E38 Sport Contours in my Touring and really do like them, however given I've not driven it much over the last 12-15 months, I still need to evaluate them more and may decide to move them on if I feel they don't help with my lower back pain as much as I hope!

The Touring up for sale overall does look like a good example and definitely more realistically priced as well !

Cheers, Dennis!

Should I buy this if doesn't go north of 3.5?

I do love it and we need an estate now

Been in contact with the seller and he doesn't wants a mechanic to have a look at the car!

But it looks ok and I've run an hpi check on it

It does have some mileage discrepancy in 2005 ! 2k went missing in 2 days between mots! 

It might have been a mistake but still ,,,, what are u guys opinions? 

Bit strange how he doesn't want a mechanic. Is it close enough to you to go and look at before it ends? 

It's a nice colour and sounds good on paper. Looks can be deceiving tho. 

At that mileage it will need money spending on it to refresh cooling and suspension bits, gearbox service, vanos seals etc. 

If you are handy with spanners you could do all the bits needed for to make it future proof.  If its not rotten and doesn't need brake pipes I reckon you can't go far wrong

Bristol I am so it's about 90m from me!a bit to late now I was just thinking if I should take a risk! 

Maybe not but it does look clean and just beautiful 

Also rust bubbles on the driver sill plate. Not trying to put a dampener on it but I wouldn't buy without a thorough inspection of sills and jacking points 

Its too clean for that to be a missed patch of dirt. Do inner strut turrets rust? It look like possibly slight scabbing on the osf turret. May just be something else tho. 

Tempting as it is I'll pass !

Thanks for the advice sa I tend to do silly purchases every now and then!

I do love these cars but I do want something without rust if possible as my sedan has bubbles on the arches and I'm tempted to sell it as I don't like the idea of doing body work and painting 

You're right @Gte86 & @rad22 re the rust; deffo a patch on the rear OS sill and on the drivers door jam; re the turret, looks more like a scuff/mark rather than rust...

Zoomed in as much as I can on my Mac; sorry i didn't see these before I mentioned it!

Re the seats; 'AKA' Dennis, bore off you miserable/lecturing #knowitall

Each to their own; to someone they may be amazing, to others, they're not... Give up with the long winded briefs if you're not going to add anything constructive 

6 hours ago, d_a_n1979 said:

You're right @Gte86 & @rad22 re the rust; deffo a patch on the rear OS sill and on the drivers door jam; re the turret, looks more like a scuff/mark rather than rust...

Zoomed in as much as I can on my Mac; sorry i didn't see these before I mentioned it!

Each to their own; to someone they may be amazing, to others, they're not... Give up with the long winded briefs if you're not going to add anything constructive 

As first glimpse I thought it looked perfect. That's why we are here to help each other 

3 hours ago, Gte86 said:

As first glimpse I thought it looked perfect. That's why we are here to help each other 

So did I; but alarm bells rang when it was mentioned above that he won't allow a mechanic to look over it etc... That for me would make me walk away immediately 

What's he trying to hide?!

22 hours ago, d_a_n1979 said:

Hi Dan,

This and your previous personal insults and snidey remarks you have towards me are a waste of forum bandwidth. Also read the first line of my 2nd paragraph as seems you didn't previously due to your haste to insult me again.

Cheers, Dennis!

23 hours ago, rad22 said:

Tempting as it is I'll pass !

Thanks for the advice sa I tend to do silly purchases every now and then!

I do love these cars but I do want something without rust if possible as my sedan has bubbles on the arches and I'm tempted to sell it as I don't like the idea of doing body work and painting 

Hi Rad22, 

If a seller says no to having a mechanic to look over the car, then it's highly likely there's some more serious issues/problems lurking. Good call to walk away, there'll be other better examples out there soon enough to look at and inspect. 

Cheers, Dennis!

Yep 

That's what put me off really! 

3.5k it went and to be honest it was my ceiling! 

Who knows if the bidder doesn't show up or he will back out the seller might contact me!

12 hours ago, Gte86 said:

I've been looking at alcantara interiors on ebay because of this :rolleyes:

Cool aren’t they... Look great, warmer in winter / cooler in summer,  but for me an E39 wouldn’t feel right without leather. Great to see different specs though.

Edited by CG172

I have kids and dogs so they wouldn't last. I hadn't seen them before this 

58 minutes ago, CG172 said:

Cool aren’t they... Look great, warmer in winter / cooler in summer,  but for me an E39 wouldn’t feel right without leather. Great to see different specs though.

Leather is meh IMO ;) 

car9.jpg

cleaned4.jpg

cleaned3.jpg

Alcantara is much better IMO; easier to clean/hoover, no cleaning/conditioning needed, no cracking and it's comfy all year round 8)

Edited by d_a_n1979

5 hours ago, d_a_n1979 said:

Leather is meh IMO ;) 

Alcantara is much better IMO; easier to clean/hoover, no cleaning/conditioning needed, no cracking and it's comfy all year round 8)

But surely you need to brush the fabric daily so it all lays in the same direction... Right? 

And Alcantra wouldn’t go with my old-man wood trim either.  :P

Would look pretty incredible with technical graphite trim though...  <_<

*wanders off to ebay*

Nope, only LHD sets available. Boooo.

2 hours ago, CG172 said:

But surely you need to brush the fabric daily so it all lays in the same direction... Right? 

And Alcantra wouldn’t go with my old-man wood trim either.  :P

Would look pretty incredible with technical graphite trim though...  <_<

*wanders off to ebay*

Nope, only LHD sets available. Boooo.

Haha :lol:

Even with my OCD, once a week when being hoovered is fine ;)