v8rumbler

Are halogen hella headlights the same case as xenon

Help please . I have hella Xenon facelift headlights . The adjusters are knackered . If I buy new Hella Halogen lights can I simply transfer everything over or is there a difference ?

47 minutes ago, Ray112 said:

No, different projector between halogen and xenon. There are adapters available, but how successful is outcome I have no idea.

I seem to remember there was an adapter ring for the xenon bulb but I didn’t realise the projector was different too

1 hour ago, v8rumbler said:

I seem to remember there was an adapter ring for the xenon bulb but I didn’t realise the projector was different too

Bulb fitment is different, that will be the main difference. There are few more differences, like internal chrome surrounding is different between xenon and halogen, but that doesn't affect anything in your case, I simply know it because had both types of headlights taken apart next to each other when rebuilding my xenon headlights. 

But in short words, if there is adapter available from h7 to d2s bulbs for E39 headlights, then everything else is plug and play. 

28 minutes ago, Ray112 said:

Bulb fitment is different, that will be the main difference. There are few more differences, like internal chrome surrounding is different between xenon and halogen, but that doesn't affect anything in your case, I simply know it because had both types of headlights taken apart next to each other when rebuilding my xenon headlights. 

But in short words, if there is adapter available from h7 to d2s bulbs for E39 headlights, then everything else is plug and play. 

So are you saying that there may be slight visual differences , but , as I need need 2 new headlights - so long as the h7- d2s adapters are available then no problem ?

1 hour ago, v8rumbler said:

So are you saying that there may be slight visual differences , but , as I need need 2 new headlights - so long as the h7- d2s adapters are available then no problem ?

You won't be able to see that visual difference from outside I believe. It's just little different shape at edges. I wasn't able to used halogen headlight chrome surrounding with xenon projector. Can't remember exact difference, but it was some shape difference. From outside everything looked the same.

Nope; cannot tell the difference between halogen and xenons

Had both; used H7 to D2S adapters in halogens to make them xenons etc...

Light scatter/cut off is the same; very hard to tell any difference at all light wise; only the internals and fixings etc

These are the adapters: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/282732103160?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

It's all plug n play :) 

The projector used in halogen as above is different to the xenon variant, the bulb position from the projector eye is offset differently in the Hella e55 xenon projector, these projectors can be found used in a fair few different set ups, lots of mercs had them of the same era 

the ballasts used are hella 5dv, a great unit! The headlight casings are also different as the have a stud for the ballast Bracket to fasten onto that’s not present on halogen items, the level motors depending on if your lucky may have the holes for the ballast mounting screws some did some didn’t later in the e39 builds they all got the xenon style motors with pre made holes 

one thing to note is if your using halogen projectors with a d2s especially with them being aged, there not designed to be run with xenon, years of halogen use the likelihood is the chrome reflective is already pitted and peeling using xenon bulbs will provoke this further, the best way really is upgrading to an evo xr, the out put is amazing and there bixenon too, if anyone wants any advice or help with a build just pm me

i also offer the service to rebuild them and have various levels of specs and prices available to anyone looking to get great output while keeping them looking oem!

25 minutes ago, e34m525i said:

The projector used in halogen as above is different to the xenon variant, the bulb position from the projector eye is offset differently in the Hella e55 xenon projector, these projectors can be found used in a fair few different set ups, lots of mercs had them of the same era 

the ballasts used are hella 5dv, a great unit! The headlight casings are also different as the have a stud for the ballast Bracket to fasten onto that’s not present on halogen items, the level motors depending on if your lucky may have the holes for the ballast mounting screws some did some didn’t later in the e39 builds they all got the xenon style motors with pre made holes 

one thing to note is if your using halogen projectors with a d2s especially with them being aged, there not designed to be run with xenon, years of halogen use the likelihood is the chrome reflective is already pitted and peeling using xenon bulbs will provoke this further, the best way really is upgrading to an evo xr, the out put is amazing and there bixenon too, if anyone wants any advice or help with a build just pm me

i also offer the service to rebuild them and have various levels of specs and prices available to anyone looking to get great output while keeping them looking oem!

Very good point re their age; they do seem to get duller with age... Fortunately all mine have been in good condition. The NS headlight on my previous E39 was a year old when I bought it and I replaced the drivers side one and the headlights on my touring; we're bought brand new in April 2019.

I don't think I'd do the xenons bulb conversion in old headlight; probably not worth it and makes more sense to get them rebuilt :) 

23 hours ago, e34m525i said:

What do you offer & what price please ?

As per the above post, no point moving on to halogen headlights. Just get new bi xenon projectors (they have clear not fresnel lenses) and new adjusters fitted into the existing headlights - an polish off the covers if necessary. Night and day difference 

7 hours ago, dmarkovina1 said:

As per the above post, no point moving on to halogen headlights. Just get new bi xenon projectors (they have clear not fresnel lenses) and new adjusters fitted into the existing headlights - an polish off the covers if necessary. Night and day difference 

That's what I did with mines. Light output is amazing. That's dipped beam in picture.IMG-20191109-WA0011.thumb.jpg.815b34a01147513af17d8dcbccef3092.jpg

If you current lights are good why not replace the adjusters? Or do you have the "un-openable" ones from the later build dates?

I can open any year lights although post 05/02 are much more labour intensive due to the amount of cutting and prying of the old lens out then removing the tiger seal like sealent!

if anyone’s interested in a build or even just adjusters pm me, I can build them to whatever specs you want or just do an oem refresh

can also do the adjusters on the later ones without opening them up, done through back, again very time consuming and fiddly! But that starts for £75 a pair, they can be dropped off or posted to me, good way to save a set of lights if there pointing at the floor now tho!

On 29/06/2021 at 18:37, e34m525i said:

I can open any year lights although post 05/02 are much more labour intensive due to the amount of cutting and prying of the old lens out then removing the tiger seal like sealent!

if anyone’s interested in a build or even just adjusters pm me, I can build them to whatever specs you want or just do an oem refresh

can also do the adjusters on the later ones without opening them up, done through back, again very time consuming and fiddly! But that starts for £75 a pair, they can be dropped off or posted to me, good way to save a set of lights if there pointing at the floor now tho!

Wow, exactly what I need as mine has just failed the MOT on this! I will PM you.

I admit that getting someone else to do your adjusters is money well spent.

I have the harder non opening type and I managed to replace my adjusters all through the rear holes, there was a lot of swearing, cut fingers and took a good few hours to do them but it is doable without splitting. Well worth the effort in my opinion if the rest of your lights are in good condition.

Only issue with mine now really, is I keep polishing them to crystal clear and it seems they go back cloudy faster every time. I'm debating whether to go crazy with the DA and then lacquer them, or just buy new lenses and spend an afternoon cutting the old ones out.

@e34m525i are you able to tell me what bi-xenon lenses you use, I'd be interested in converting to bi-xenon but I am a hands on type of guy and would love to do it myself for the learning experience. Appreciate if you cannot.

I would use the DJ auto lenses there pricy compared to some but are a nice fit, the cheaper ones also fit very well but you don’t get the silver corners with them so if your corners are pitted it’s a shame to go to all the effort and not replace the silver bits 

as the the projectors, there evo xr 2.0 bought from retrofit labs, great projector, if you wanted any tips or advice I’m more than happy to assist and advise people building there own sets as well as building sets for people who don’t fancy taking it on.

when cutting the old ones out be super careful in prying they lens out after the cut, the casing isn’t always as strong as it looks and breaks up, also ensure all the old permaseal is gone from the channel as it appears permaseal is the one thing butyl won’t stick too, it’s very very time consuming but is defo diy able 

5 hours ago, starbuck88 said:

I admit that getting someone else to do your adjusters is money well spent.

I have the harder non opening type and I managed to replace my adjusters all through the rear holes, there was a lot of swearing, cut fingers and took a good few hours to do them but it is doable without splitting. Well worth the effort in my opinion if the rest of your lights are in good condition.

Only issue with mine now really, is I keep polishing them to crystal clear and it seems they go back cloudy faster every time. I'm debating whether to go crazy with the DA and then lacquer them, or just buy new lenses and spend an afternoon cutting the old ones out.

@e34m525i are you able to tell me what bi-xenon lenses you use, I'd be interested in converting to bi-xenon but I am a hands on type of guy and would love to do it myself for the learning experience. Appreciate if you cannot.

I have sprayed my front ones with clear coat year ago and my touring rear middle lights, which actually are very  fabulous for fading, about two years ago. They are still very clear without any signs of fading yet. So I would suggest to get lenses sprayed with clear lacquer first, cheap and easy, so worth a try. If that don't look good, you can always replace lenses.

IMG-20191109-WA0011.thumb.jpg.815b34a01147513af17d8dcbccef3092.jpgIMG_20191207_081916.thumb.jpg.0cce0a2cb96c515cbbca7c8f26c53d42.jpgAbout bixenon conversation, I didn't wanted to spend loads of money for Hella units, so decided to give a try onSynolin bixenon projectors from eBay. For £50, I'm truly impressed. Fixing was quite easily, green circled holes were perfect match with original projector mountings, red circled ones need little altering to fit, but nothing too complicated. Light output is great, even after nearly 2 years of use, and they been used a lot. 

IMG_20200630_204948.thumb.jpg.5304793701093eb2cb81d5733bd4793e.jpgIMG_20200625_095156.thumb.jpg.3c63502c4eca0eae506db74a4f915047.jpg

Edited by Ray112

20 hours ago, e34m525i said:

I would use the DJ auto lenses there pricy compared to some but are a nice fit, the cheaper ones also fit very well but you don’t get the silver corners with them so if your corners are pitted it’s a shame to go to all the effort and not replace the silver bits 

as the the projectors, there evo xr 2.0 bought from retrofit labs, great projector, if you wanted any tips or advice I’m more than happy to assist and advise people building there own sets as well as building sets for people who don’t fancy taking it on.

when cutting the old ones out be super careful in prying they lens out after the cut, the casing isn’t always as strong as it looks and breaks up, also ensure all the old permaseal is gone from the channel as it appears permaseal is the one thing butyl won’t stick too, it’s very very time consuming but is defo diy able 

18 hours ago, Ray112 said:

I have sprayed my front ones with clear coat year ago and my touring rear middle lights, which actually are very  fabulous for fading, about two years ago. They are still very clear without any signs of fading yet. So I would suggest to get lenses sprayed with clear lacquer first, cheap and easy, so worth a try. If that don't look good, you can always replace lenses.

About bixenon conversation, I didn't wanted to spend loads of money for Hella units, so decided to give a try onSynolin bixenon projectors from eBay. For £50, I'm truly impressed. Fixing was quite easily, green circled holes were perfect match with original projector mountings, red circled ones need little altering to fit, but nothing too complicated. Light output is great, even after nearly 2 years of use, and they been used a lot. 

Firstly thank you both, this is great and what fantastic support. I admire @e34m525i that you are willing to help people who want to DIY themselves, proper community spirit that! Much kudos sir.

@Ray112  That dipped beam output looks quite frankly mental!

This may seem dumb. How do you make it so that the Bi-Xenon function works? Is there additional wiring? Do the original high beam lights come on too H7 bulbs iirc?

Edited by starbuck88

54 minutes ago, starbuck88 said:

Firstly thank you both, this is great and what fantastic support. I admire @e34m525i that you are willing to help people who want to DIY themselves, proper community spirit that! Much kudos sir.

@Ray112  That dipped beam output looks quite frankly mental!

This may seem dumb. How do you make it so that the Bi-Xenon function works? Is there additional wiring? Do the original high beam lights come on too H7 bulbs iirc?

Original h7 high beam bulbs come on as well, so high beam is quite impressive as well. For bixenon function you only need to splice two wires for high beam shroud into actual car wiring going to high beam. So once high beam is turned on, shroud gets lifted and you have high beam on xenon projector as well. Only time when xenon high beam don't work is when you have lights off and you use  flash function. Shroud will still go up, but due to dipped beam been off, xenon bulb isn't ignited, so you get only original h7 bulbs then. There is a way to get xenon lights on only for flashing as well, but it involves little bit more wiring and will need one way diode or something like that, so it never bothered me. Light output is about the same good as some 10 years younger cars have, well happy with it.

On 07/07/2021 at 17:52, Ray112 said:

IMG-20191109-WA0011.thumb.jpg.815b34a01147513af17d8dcbccef3092.jpgIMG_20191207_081916.thumb.jpg.0cce0a2cb96c515cbbca7c8f26c53d42.jpgAbout bixenon conversation, I didn't wanted to spend loads of money for Hella units, so decided to give a try onSynolin bixenon projectors from eBay. For £50, I'm truly impressed. Fixing was quite easily, green circled holes were perfect match with original projector mountings, red circled ones need little altering to fit, but nothing too complicated. Light output is great, even after nearly 2 years of use, and they been used a lot. 

IMG_20200630_204948.thumb.jpg.5304793701093eb2cb81d5733bd4793e.jpgIMG_20200625_095156.thumb.jpg.3c63502c4eca0eae506db74a4f915047.jpg

mate these the Hella g5 variant types? The evo xr is based on the e55 mounting set up but I’ve heard great things about the hella copies, I used a 9006 splitter for the highs and just cut one of the ends off to go to the shutter it’s the neatest way of doing I could find, I’ve also never bothered trying to get the xenon to power on trigger for full beam just the h7 in that case but when dipped are on that shutter will turn night into day!

32 minutes ago, e34m525i said:

mate these the Hella g5 variant types? The evo xr is based on the e55 mounting set up but I’ve heard great things about the hella copies, I used a 9006 splitter for the highs and just cut one of the ends off to go to the shutter it’s the neatest way of doing I could find, I’ve also never bothered trying to get the xenon to power on trigger for full beam just the h7 in that case but when dipped are on that shutter will turn night into day!

To be honest, I'm not so sure about what type they actually are.

On first moment I was little worried about how well chrome mirroring finish will last, but it's nearly two years around and they are as bright as on first day. Reflectors were made of metal, not plastic, so that possibly helps to make them last longer. 

Overall I would say it's well worth to convert them, because after nearly 20 years original projectors are lost their mirroring finish and light is far from good.

Yeah all the ones I’ve done for people putting evo xr s in have all had it really even the oem xenons, most of the time the mirror is pitted dull and flaking, halogens tend to be worse too, as they get worse with age people put hotter bulbs in like cheap hid and that just finishes them off

so much better when they have new projectors!