Sign in to follow this  
marko530d

Brake discs minimum thickness bmw health check

Hi guys quoted 1k for brake discs and pads from bmw will obviously change myself.

What is minimum thickness....

Is normal terms the same as bmw ? 

Video attached 

Front pads stated 20k 

Rears stated 15k on idrive.

No vibration or judder braking is smooth and efficient.

Edited by marko530d

You need to know what thickness your discs are from new then apply the following:

If the car CBS system is calling for new Pads:

If the discs are worn <= 1.6mm then you can safely change just the pads

If the discs are worn > 1.6mm then you must change the discs and pads

If the discs are worn > 2.4mm at anytime, change discs and pads as soon as possible.

The tech is quoting minimum disc thickness for just changing the pads at, 28.4mm front and 18.4mm rear.   Your actual discs are then, less than those thicknesses at 27.3mm and 16.3mm for front and rear respectively.  The disc thicknesses should only be another 0.8mm less than the 28.4mm and 18.4mm before you change the discs and pads.

All four discs and 8 pads are scrap.  The tech is quite right.

In the past the car has probably had just pads changed without discs which is why the idrive is giving you big remaining mileages on the pads.  That will explain why you feel when driving the brakes are o.k., the pads might have a bit of meat still left on them.  The tech deliberately fails to tell you the pad thickness as he see's it as being irrelevant as your discs are below the minimum thickness for just replacing pads which is why he tells you to replace all discs and pads as he is quoting the rules that Matthew describes.

How much did they quote for changing the front arms?

Love how he said there was no oil leaks from the engine as he walked passed what looked like me to be a big oil streak on the front underbelly from the oil filter hatch.  So is that just spilt oil from a previous oil change then?

On 15/06/2021 at 08:17, Matthew Ashton said:

You need to know what thickness your discs are from new then apply the following:

If the car CBS system is calling for new Pads:

If the discs are worn <= 1.6mm then you can safely change just the pads

If the discs are worn > 1.6mm then you must change the discs and pads

If the discs are worn > 2.4mm at anytime, change discs and pads as soon as possible.

Mine are 34mm new

Probably a few miles left but will change the lot anyway.

Edited by marko530d

On 15/06/2021 at 09:24, 535i Andrew said:

The tech is quoting minimum disc thickness for just changing the pads at, 28.4mm front and 18.4mm rear.   Your actual discs are then, less than those thicknesses at 27.3mm and 16.3mm for front and rear respectively.  The disc thicknesses should only be another 0.8mm less than the 28.4mm and 18.4mm before you change the discs and pads.

In the past the car has probably had just pads changed without discs which is why the idrive is giving you big remaining mileages on the pads.  That will explain why you feel when driving the brakes are o.k., the pads might have a bit of meat still left on them.  The tech deliberately fails to tell you the pad thickness as he see's it as being irrelevant as your discs are below the minimum thickness for just replacing pads which is why he tells you to replace all discs and pads as he is quoting the rules that Matthew describes.

Love how he said there was no oil leaks from the engine as he walked passed what looked like me to be a big oil streak on the front underbelly from the oil filter hatch.  So is that just spilt oil from a previous oil change then?

Was leak on oil filter housing when bought the car all sorted by suppling dealer.

You know al have to clean that now thanks @535i Andrew :lol:

Edited by marko530d

On 15/06/2021 at 09:24, 535i Andrew said:

Screenshot-20210423-115059-Chrome.jpg

Screenshot-20210423-115044-Chrome.jpg

57 minutes ago, marko530d said:

Mine are 34mm new

Are you sure about that?

For a 530d they would either be 30mm or 36mm thick. If the Tech is correct, then I would have assumed you had 30mm thick discs going from the figures he was quoting.

https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/showparts?id=XA52-EUR-09-2012-F10-BMW-530d&amp;diagId=34_1823

53 minutes ago, marko530d said:

Anygood sites for 2 part disc's and pads ? 

I've only ever used genuine discs (partly to ensure the correct two piece type and they actually weren't that much more than aftermarket ones), pick a decent brand (ATE, Jurid, Brembo, etc etc ) and you won't go wrong with brakes assuming they are fitted correctly (as in things are cleaned and lubricated in the right places) and you don't drive it like you stole it initially.

3 hours ago, Matthew Ashton said:

They are 30 or 36 new disc thickness. There is no 34mm on these cars.

Sorry mistype realoem suggested 36 new.

Rears 24 new.

The fronts do seem to have alot of disc left ( and pad ) each side with very small lip.

Screenshot-20210616-152001-Google.jpg

But that cant be correct if there 36 and not 30 there unbelievable worn out. :huh:

Do both 348x36 and 348x30 

Both fit these cars .... 

Edited by marko530d

2 hours ago, 535i Andrew said:

drive it like you stole it initially.

No Andrew that's just you on your weekly tesco run :lol:.

l1-J9z-El6-TBGf-KNu-NO.gif

3 hours ago, 535i Andrew said:

Brembo

Have been searching brembo as they seem to be 2 part disc's.

1 hour ago, marko530d said:

Do both 348x36 and 348x30 

Both fit these cars .... 

Yup, some of the guys on here have the thicker discs on 525d (6 pot version) and the 530d.  My dads 530d was 30 thick discs.  Another way to confirm what discs it should have is to pull the cap off the caliper guide screw.  If a 7mm Allen key fits you have 30mm discs, if its too loose and a 9mm Allen key fits, you should have 36mm thick discs.

If you had 36mm thick discs new and the tech has measured them to 27.3mm then I stand by my statement of you 

4 hours ago, 535i Andrew said:

drive it like you stole it 

:D

If the tech is right with 27.3mm I would be fairly certain your discs were only 30mm thick when new as you'd be near enough into the fins of a 36mm disc if you wore it down that much.

IMG_21_4232.jpg

No Andrew that's just you on your weekly tesco run :lol:.

l1-J9z-El6-TBGf-KNu-NO.gif

I only get to drive it for 8 miles a week to Tesco so I've got to get the most out of it.:lol:

5 hours ago, marko530d said:

I fitted 2 piece Brembo.  Got a deal on the bigger 535 brakes.  Really happy with them.  There were cheaper alternatives but false economy.  They stop the big barge really well.  

I had 2 piece Brembo discs and pads fitted all round 2 years and 45000 miles ago. They've been very good with no issues at all. You should be fine with them.

17 hours ago, 535i Andrew said:

If a 7mm Allen key fits you have 30mm discs

Will check that out thanks 

21 hours ago, 535i Andrew said:

Brembo

Screenshot-20210616-160933-Car-Parts-UK.

Top is 30mm bottom 36mm. 

Am assuming both will fit ?

3 minutes ago, marko530d said:

Am assuming both will fit ?

The thicker discs have a different caliper and different caliper cradle from the 30 mm discs so you need to know for sure which discs you have before pressing the order button.

On 6/16/2021 at 11:44 AM, marko530d said:

Anygood sites for 2 part disc's and pads ? 

just order discs from here!
www.schmiedmann.com

Price seems decent.

2 part disks too .

Screenshot-20210617-205250-Samsung-Inter

My car's back into bmw tomo so will sort them out when it returns.

Edited by marko530d

1 hour ago, Oldbilly said:

just order discs from here!
www.schmiedmann.com

Let me know how you get on with yours buddy :)

Let me know how you get on with yours buddy :)

Just be careful.  Autodoc are based in Berlin and have a number of sites selling to the UK.  Search reviews, as there have been issues with long delivery time.  I decided I could not wait and got the Brembo from a supplier in blighty.  There are also lots of cheap discs and you want to make certain they are 2 piece items.

10 hours ago, Jimbo07g41 said:

There are also lots of cheap discs and you want to make certain they are 2 piece items.

+1, that's why when comparing the price I could get for genuine against aftermarket, for me it was a no brainer to go genuine.

10 hours ago, Jimbo07g41 said:

Just be careful.  Autodoc are based in Berlin and have a number of sites selling to the UK.  Search reviews, as there have been issues with long delivery time.  I decided I could not wait and got the Brembo from a supplier in blighty.  There are also lots of cheap discs and you want to make certain they are 2 piece items.

You are connect! I have had a taste of Autodoc incompetence which has caused me a great deal of grief, like you I noticed that onlinecarparts and I think the other site buypartsonline are Autodoc platforms, as I see it they don’t hold large stocks and large heavy items come from Europe they are using the UK web sites to order parts that are not uk stock and sending them from Europe hence the long delivery times, they are using this method to save money by not transporting large amounts of stock to the UK