Changy

Double spring failure

I had the fright of my life yesterday when the rear coil springs failed almost simultaneously! The wife and I were driving along a country lane when a loud bang frightened the life out of us. It was only a second later that another bang followed. I pulled into a field opening to take a look, and sure enough, both the springs had snapped. When I removed the springs today, the one had already failed without me knowing! Has anyone else experienced a double failure?

Oh well, you're supposed to replace them in pairs!

On 6/10/2021 at 2:36 PM, Changy said:

I had the fright of my life yesterday when the rear coil springs failed almost simultaneously! The wife and I were driving along a country lane when a loud bang frightened the life out of us. It was only a second later that another bang followed. I pulled into a field opening to take a look, and sure enough, both the springs had snapped. When I removed the springs today, the one had already failed without me knowing! Has anyone else experienced a double failure?

Closest I’ve been is a week apart on the front of the mrs mondeo. The mechanic asked me if I wanted both sides doing to prevent it being off the road again as it’s usual that they go in pairs. I declined as it’s a cheap run around and I didn’t really want to spend the money. Pretty much an exact week later the other side went but this time spat a chunk out the side and run through the tyre that was 4 months old. So should have listened to the guy haha. 

I went to swap out springs and shocks as I could see one snapped, both had gone. I think the ARB pulls the opposite one and it's enough to finish it off
This was a mates 525d

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

About a week ago I hit what was likely a roadworks trench across the road that was poorly filled and had sunk in a bit. I heard what I though (hoped) was a large stone hit the underside of the car. Had a look when I got home but didn't notice anything. NCT (MOT) on Thursday gone and it failed for both rear coil springs broken. Now I know what that sound was. 

Keliuss

1 hour ago, Keliuss said:

Now I know what that sound was. 

It sounds like a gun going off! I heard the noise, and my wife said, "was that a big stone hitting the underside?" I replied it was the coil springs, and sure enough, I was correct. My first experience of the sound was when the front driver's side failed first as I pulled off the drive. It was so loud all the builders working on the house opposite turned around to see what it was!

On 10/06/2021 at 14:36, Changy said:

Front one broke during winter while car standing.. local indy changed it and said other is broken too. 

I bought a top spec, low mileage, B5 Audi RS4 some years ago and on the way home from the dealer (who is supposedly very trustworthy in exotics these days) I had a blow out on a rear tyre. Inner edge was almost on the canvas which I hadn't noticed when I looked around it. No spare so got recovered from the M25 back to a friend's house that was close by who had tools and a tyre garage up the road. When he jacked it up he found a cracked spring on that corner. Checked the other side and sure enough, exact same crack in the same place - top coil that's hidden as it enters the body. Just because I'd lost faith I asked him to check over the rest of the car for obvious issues and would you believe both fronts were cracked too?!?!

Car was sold with a service and inspection from the dealer's inhouse technicians along with an MOT from the local town.

That dealer currently has the most amount of Lambos for sale in the country but I wouldn't touch them again with a bargepole.