Hi,

Recently got an F10 Touring and loving it. Few weeks ago I got an error saying indicator (left) error, which went away straight away after using the indicator. 

This week the error comes up every few times I use the stick, but then clears and I don't know which indicator to check as it starts working again. Is there anyway of seeing which one needs replacing, as I've had a look at the car status and there appears not errors.

Thanks

Jeeta

Have you physically checked all the lights work? 

If a warning message appeared there is a chance a fault has been logged. 

Ideally you need to read/check for fault codes using diagnostic equipment that will give you more of an idea what’s wrong. 

36 minutes ago, 535i Andrew said:

Have you physically checked all the lights work? 

If a warning message appeared there is a chance a fault has been logged. 

Ideally you need to read/check for fault codes using diagnostic equipment that will give you more of an idea what’s wrong. 

Each time it happens, I'm driving and within few seconds the error on dash and fast ticking noise of the indicator when used, goes and then works normal again.

By time im parked (dash error not there) i check lights all around and everything looks fine.

What diagnostic kit would you recommend or should I take to garage for them to read?

Sounds like it could be a failing indicator light/led unit.  The fast flash is a sign that a light/led is not working, trick is to find which one. Problem is depending which light it is, they are integral with others, the rear light unit houses side lights, indicators and brake light and needs to be replaced as a complete unit. 

I use a Foxwell NT530 for diagnostic work as it’s cheap and reliable.

A friendly local garage will be able to read codes for not a huge fee. My local Indy charged me £35 to get codes read. 

20 minutes ago, 535i Andrew said:

Sounds like it could be a failing indicator light/led unit.  The fast flash is a sign that a light/led is not working, trick is to find which one. Problem is depending which light it is, they are integral with others, the rear light unit houses side lights, indicators and brake light and needs to be replaced as a complete unit. 

A friendly local garage will be able to read codes for not a huge fee. My local Indy charged me £35 to get codes read. 

Thanks, appreciate the help mate, will check in with a local garage.

21 minutes ago, 535i Andrew said:

BTW, if it is a failing indicator unit, is it an expensive job/part?

2 hours ago, Jeeta Johnson said:

Hi,

Recently got an F10 Touring and loving it. Few weeks ago I got an error saying indicator (left) error, which went away straight away after using the indicator. 

This week the error comes up every few times I use the stick, but then clears and I don't know which indicator to check as it starts working again. Is there anyway of seeing which one needs replacing, as I've had a look at the car status and there appears not errors.

Thanks

Jeeta

That'll be an F11 then ;-)

1 hour ago, Jeeta Johnson said:

BTW, if it is a failing indicator unit, is it an expensive job/part?

Its a very simple job.

Yes if you have a touring its a F11 the F10 is the saloon :)

Not sure on cost depends if you go genuine or aftermarket.

Could be worth checking wiring etc before you go paying garage's to scan car.

More then likely to be a failing led/light unit.

My guess would be side repeater.

Hard part finding out which 1 good luck buddy.

Edited by marko530d

On 6/8/2021 at 9:40 PM, marko530d said:

Its a very simple job.

Yes if you have a touring its a F11 the F10 is the saloon :)

Not sure on cost depends if you go genuine or aftermarket.

Could be worth checking wiring etc before you go paying garage's to scan car.

More then likely to be a failing led/light unit.

My guess would be side repeater.

Hard part finding out which 1 good luck buddy.

Hello mate, finally coming back on this as I've hardly driven car and its been manic month with work, but finally worked out which light it was as I caught reflection of the light in back of another car.
Basically the front passenger indicator light sometimes continuously flickers, then goes back to normal. When it flickers it doesnt even show an error on dash. Would this mean there is a wiring connection error or just swapping the bulb may fix this?

Thought I'd ask before purchasing a new bulb and doing the work.
Thanks

It sounds to me like you need to look at this the opposite way round. If the passenger side front indicator intermittently flashes fast it means one of the other lights is intermittently not flashing at all which then causes the passenger side front light to flash fast. You need to find which light is not flashing at all when the fault occurs.

On 6/28/2021 at 4:59 PM, Cadwell Parker said:

It sounds to me like you need to look at this the opposite way round. If the passenger side front indicator intermittently flashes fast it means one of the other lights is intermittently not flashing at all which then causes the passenger side front light to flash fast. You need to find which light is not flashing at all when the fault occurs.

To describe it more in detail, it jsut flashes without indicator on, and now it seems to stays on more rather flashing. Its strange as it's not the entire indicator, it's a small cluster of the orange (maybe 1/6th of indicator). I've noticed this from reflection off other cars that the remaining indicator goes on normally when i indicate, then this small part then switches back off, then sometimes comes back on. 

As its intermittent, i havent managed to take a pic of it or notice it when i park up car.

Hi All,

An update on this. The issue seemed to go away, but came back recently quite badly. I have attached a photo of the errors coming up on dash. I took it to an auto electrics company, who I dont think were that good, could not work out the issue as the issue is intermittent.

Before that I took it to another garage and they saw the problem of the light, opened the bonnet and as soon as they fiddled around and closed the bonnet, the issue went. Now whenever it comes up, i just have a fiddle in the light area, then close the bonnet and it seems to go away, only for it to come back a few days later.

I also noticed there was a lot of condensation in the light case, which wasnt in the other headlight unit, thinking that there could be some water damage?

The auto electric guys said that it might be a case of taking the bumper out and doing some digging around, but could cost quite a bit of money due to time spent working out the issue and before I do that, is there anything anyone can suggest what it could be before I get them to do that?

Im Oxford based but happy to go to someone who will know more about the electrics of this car.

Thanks

IMG_7482.jpg

I would not be too surprised if there's moisture getting to the TMS module if you have condensation and that cluster of errors.

Realistically you'd want to get the headlamp unit out and give it an all-over inspection, clean out, and dry out then go from there.

On 10/30/2021 at 7:28 AM, HandyAndy_UK said:

I would not be too surprised if there's moisture getting to the TMS module if you have condensation and that cluster of errors.

Realistically you'd want to get the headlamp unit out and give it an all-over inspection, clean out, and dry out then go from there.

Thanks for reply. Are there any instructions on how to get it out, or would I have to take it to a garage?

6 hours ago, Jeeta Johnson said:

Thanks for reply. Are there any instructions on how to get it out, or would I have to take it to a garage?

It's actually quite easy. You could watch one of the many YouTube videos for 'how to remove BMW F10 headlight' which should show you everything you need.

Personally I'd take the whole nosecone off as I don't like pulling plastic around. It's just screws along the top edge, under the weatherstrip, along the underside edge, then pull back the front section wheel arch liner to access the two fiddly screws each side.

Then pull the nosecone forward and off sufficient to unplug as required.

Takes me about 15 minutes as I've done it a few times now.

With the nosecone off you have free access to everything you need and can clean easily before reassembly.

On 11/1/2021 at 5:15 PM, HandyAndy_UK said:

It's actually quite easy. You could watch one of the many YouTube videos for 'how to remove BMW F10 headlight' which should show you everything you need.

Personally I'd take the whole nosecone off as I don't like pulling plastic around. It's just screws along the top edge, under the weatherstrip, along the underside edge, then pull back the front section wheel arch liner to access the two fiddly screws each side.

Then pull the nosecone forward and off sufficient to unplug as required.

Takes me about 15 minutes as I've done it a few times now.

With the nosecone off you have free access to everything you need and can clean easily before reassembly.

Thank you. Will see if i can take a look this weekend.

I’m a newbie too so I’m not an expert like some old hands but I replaced the headlight module on mine last weekend after annoying intermittent warning messages.

what I can say for sure is the connector on my old module was a bit crusty, white dust from aluminium corrosion. looking online, moisture in the lights seems to be an Achilles heel for these cars.

if you have time and patience I’d try removing the module & cleaning the connector with rubbing alcohol (plenty of super strong alcohol cleaners for COVID). I also used a cotton bud with alcohol on the connector inside the light, but be careful you don’t lose chunks of the cotton in the connector or it will stop current flow. A new module was like £30 on ebay which is possibly a wise starting point if using a process of elimination.

its a bit of a faff, but quite do-able without the deep surgery of removing the bumper just to get the headlight out. Just wheel off and arch liner off.

see link to my efforts for some tips 

Edited by Bavarian Cortina fan

On 11/13/2021 at 8:01 AM, Bavarian Cortina fan said:

I’m a newbie too so I’m not an expert like some old hands but I replaced the headlight module on mine last weekend after annoying intermittent warning messages.

what I can say for sure is the connector on my old module was a bit crusty, white dust from aluminium corrosion. looking online, moisture in the lights seems to be an Achilles heel for these cars.

if you have time and patience I’d try removing the module & cleaning the connector with rubbing alcohol (plenty of super strong alcohol cleaners for COVID). I also used a cotton bud with alcohol on the connector inside the light, but be careful you don’t lose chunks of the cotton in the connector or it will stop current flow. A new module was like £30 on ebay which is possibly a wise starting point if using a process of elimination.

its a bit of a faff, but quite do-able without the deep surgery of removing the bumper just to get the headlight out. Just wheel off and arch liner off.

see link to my efforts for some tips 

This is really helpful mate, much appreciated!

As your issue been resolved now?

Yup all fixed, no probs

just ensure you order the correct module - different ones for halogen and xenon lights

i always filter eBay by location as I can’t be bothered waiting a few weeks for it to come directly from China. Yes parts from China are a few quid cheaper but might take 6 weeks…

and you will need to beg/buy/borrow the angled torx key or ratchet as shown in the above thread

not difficult, but from my limited experience of these cars, they seem to be designed to put you off attempting DIY and direct you to the dealer…

like removing the airbag just to change the cabin pollen filter. That is absolutely unbelievable….

hope this fixes it - as from scrolling through the threads there are other headlight issues like the auto adjust rack coming off the motor. I always think try the cheapest and easiest 1st - or have deep pockets and farm the job out for a new light unit

'like removing the airbag just to change the cabin pollen filter. That is absolutely unbelievable….'

Errr.... how exactly did you go about that... most of us just remove the cover under the glovebox...

15 hours ago, HandyAndy_UK said:

'like removing the airbag just to change the cabin pollen filter. That is absolutely unbelievable….'

Errr.... how exactly did you go about that... most of us just remove the cover under the glovebox...

Not tried it yet, but flicked through this which frankly was enough to make me think my pollen filter can wait…

As you advise, does look like the airbag thankfully stays in situ, but you’re disconnecting the battery to stop it deploying in your face.

I guess my point is a pollen filter is a regular service item. Why make access so difficult crawling in the footwell and removing chunks of dashboard? 

It’s just bad design just considering ease of manufacture without a thought for the customer/technician after delivery.

Same as this headlamp module. Moving the module like 2cm towards the outer edge of the car and making that access flap larger would make the job simple, instead it’s been made a chore. By choice.

I guess my point is a pollen filter is a regular service item. Why make access so difficult crawling in the footwell and removing chunks of dashboard? 

So, you don’t need to disconnect the battery and you don’t remove “Chunks” of the dashboard to replace the pollen filter. That video is for a US model not a UK car assuming you are on this little island. 

You remove one panel under the glove box and remove 4 screws holding the panel covering the Pollen filter. 

There’s no bad design here and a very simple job. 

Edited by Matthew Ashton

Fair play buddy, I’m new to these cars, never tried it, will 100% take your word for it.

Still don’t understand why cheap n nasty Peugeots, Citroen’s, VWs etc can engineer the engine bay with a flap so the pollen filter change is a 2 minute job, but BMW (and others) can’t do that.

the cynic in me thinks it’s just a way of discouraging DIY and pushing revenue to the dealers

sorry we’re getting off topic here, poor workability/serviceability is just one of my pet hates working in automotive development.

Jeeta - do let us know how you get on with your lights

To be fair, my old E61 was so much easier when changing pollen filters as they were under the bonnet at the base of the screen.

In general I have found the F series a big leap forward in ease of maintenance. Admittedly one badly filmed video or badly described process can put you off completing a relatively simple task. What I would point out is that US built vehicles can and do differ in some aspects due to their various state and federal laws. Wherever possible try to look at as many videos as possible covering your intended task and pay more attention to EUR built vehicles.