Andyrt200

De-badged cars? (Excuse to post pictures of new G31)

Ignoring my other posts can you tell what model this is?

lbDPlqs.jpg

zPa1IlT.jpg

lmXaWkm.jpg

Carbon Black is nice though

F2VXhyw.jpg

j9oIL2G.jpg

TCDwtAF.jpg

DJEjNZe.jpg

Only just noticed it’s open here too!

uShLagi.jpg

9rADkXA.jpg

With its older brother:

cdz2BZ7.jpg

00yayvQ.jpg

vo3EWuB.jpg

H4LvMpH.jpg

nTmrNkS.jpg

hnyGSBy.jpg

The G31 boot hinges do cut into to load area quite a bit more than the E39, hopefully they have more robust wires in the larger hinges! 

Very nice. Other than it is an M Sport trim level (blue brake calipers) no, you cannot tell; I've done the same to mine :D Pre-2019 (the dials are a giveaway)?

And, it still has the protective film on the boot rubbing strips!! :o

Either a 530d or a 540i (could be a 525d but those are rare), early 2017 to Mid 2018 production.

the giveaway are the blue brakes. Only 525d, 530d, 530e and 540i had them. As the 530e wasn’t available in G31 and 525d are rare, it’s a 530d or a 540i.

all other models had standard brakes, much smaller, silver

Edited by sjak92

26 minutes ago, Mr H said:

Pre-2019 (the dials are a giveaway)?

Ah interesting, is that also related to the OS6 & OS7 software from 2019?

18 minutes ago, sjak92 said:

Either a 530d or a 540i

Yes its a 540i, the salesman said the blue brakes were actually an option on all the models, though I guess its unlikely many people would go for them on their 520. 

Many years ago my dad had an E34 520i it was horribly slow, the earlier ones only had 120bhp. I test drove a G31 520d & found it was actually ok, though not as fast as the E39 530i so the 540i was the only option really :D

I had a de-badged E34 535i when I was 22, it was reasonable obvious what engine it had as I left every set of traffic lights. 20 odd years later the 540i is not going to identified the same way!

I’ve got an E93 335i too & they have very obvious separate twin exhausts. Lots of the older models had twin pipes for the large engines, but I’m wondering now how many did...

2 hours ago, Andyrt200 said:

No it isn't. Mine is a Jan 2019 build; doesn't have the "hard" surrounds to the dials but is firmly OS6 ..............

5 hours ago, sjak92 said:

the giveaway are the blue brakes. Only 525d, 530d, 530e and 540i had them. As the 530e wasn’t available in G31 and 525d are rare, it’s a 530d or a 540i.

530i also had them

56 minutes ago, StratTech said:

530i also had them

yes forgot to list, so many 30 variants with different letters in the G30!

6 hours ago, Andyrt200 said:

Yes its a 540i, the salesman said the blue brakes were actually an option on all the models, though I guess its unlikely many people would go for them on their 520. 

Many years ago my dad had an E34 520i it was horribly slow, the earlier ones only had 120bhp. I test drove a G31 520d & found it was actually ok, though not as fast as the E39 530i so the 540i was the only option really :D

I had a de-badged E34 535i when I was 22, it was reasonable obvious what engine it had as I left every set of traffic lights. 20 odd years later the 540i is not going to identified the same way!

I’ve got an E93 335i too & they have very obvious separate twin exhausts. Lots of the older models had twin pipes for the large engines, but I’m wondering now how many did...

the 520i/d never had M Performance brakes. Not in the UK anyway. If that was me, I’d be worried about the salesman’s lack of knowledge! Haha

interesting comparing a 520d G30 to a E39 530i. Only about half a second in the 0-62 but I’d imagine the 520d would feel far more flexible and overall better with a far newer gearbox. 

I had a 520d for the best part of 2 years and it was never too slow in everyday driving. Was pleasantly surprised by how decent the new 520i is

13 hours ago, sjak92 said:

the 520i/d never had M Performance brakes. Not in the UK anyway. If that was me, I’d be worried about the salesman’s lack of knowledge! Haha

interesting comparing a 520d G30 to a E39 530i. Only about half a second in the 0-62 but I’d imagine the 520d would feel far more flexible and overall better with a far newer gearbox. 

I had a 520d for the best part of 2 years and it was never too slow in everyday driving. Was pleasantly surprised by how decent the new 520i is

Ha, no I’m not sure I’d trust the salesman either I had to explain to him how to program the key to open the tail gate glass. Admittedly after I’d find out how on here, but it is his job! 

The E39 530i is 230bhp, G30 520d is 190bhp.
We had a new 190bhp diesel Passat for a while after being very disappointed with the 640d. A 190bhp diesel is certainly no slouch & really more than enough for every day driving. However an E39 530i (with properly working VANOS & DISA) really will go, it was noticeably quicker than the Passat & the two year old 190bhp E91 325i it replaced. We were running it along side the F13 640d too & it didn’t feel much slower at all. I wondered if BMW were a little conservative with the power / performance claims for the E39 530i. Or if there was more than just the horrible steering wrong with the 640d! Lets not start talking about the fuel economy of the E39 though...

Mind you the G31 540i in sport mode is much faster the the E39 :)

11 hours ago, IINexusII said:

How i normally check :D using the iOS app version of https://www.vehiclesmart.com/vehicle-smart-check.jsp?asc=22B0B2B11B2035B1&reg=f13mdt

But very nice car, congrats!

1465834067_Screenshot2021-06-07at11_30_13pm.thumb.png.403ca0082952dc6bc1cdd20537b79429.png

Ah very useful tool, I hadn’t got round to checking they had put a fresh MOT on it, thanks!  

You have to be quite up on your C02 emissions though, as at first glance it looks to be a 530i, no mention of turbos on that, or on the insurance database. 

I did contemplate telling the insurance company it wasn’t just a 3 litre when they checked the engine capacity but decided it’s down as a 540i so will be correct, it was an incredibly good price for business use.

12 hours ago, IINexusII said:

I just use the DVLA version https://vehicleenquiry.service.gov.uk/ Seems to give more or less the same info (there is more at the bottom of the screen that wasn't captured by the screen shot):

image.thumb.png.e6a60b1d950e963c5f57efc172c07ffb.png

Note that the ‘year of manufacture’ on the DVLA report is a misnomer. For mine it says 2019 (same as 1st reg) but it’s a 2018 build.

42 minutes ago, Mr H said:

I just use the DVLA version https://vehicleenquiry.service.gov.uk/ Seems to give more or less the same info (there is more at the bottom of the screen that wasn't captured by the screen shot):

image.thumb.png.e6a60b1d950e963c5f57efc172c07ffb.png

Yeah they all graze into the DVLA via an api in any case, it's just less clicks on Vehicle smart and I'm actually speaking to them about some dev work for us.

1 hour ago, Boba said:

Note that the ‘year of manufacture’ on the DVLA report is a misnomer. For mine it says 2019 (same as 1st reg) but it’s a 2018 build.

That’s a good point, with lockdown that gap will likely have got a lot bigger with some cars! 

49 minutes ago, Andyrt200 said:

That’s a good point, with lockdown that gap will likely have got a lot bigger with some cars! 

well I personally drove a December 2017 built Alpina D5 which I know was not registered until July last year! Sat on various forecourts up and down the country, lovely Alpina Blue colour and had decent spec but lacked ICON Adaptive LED’s.

I even enquired about it in May/June 2018 when it was at my local Sytner dealership, was offered a free retrofit of the Icons by Alpina if I took the car over there, but there was no movement on the price in terms of discount and I just couldn’t warrant 2.5x monthly payments on my then 520d as lovely as the car was.

I assume they finally discounted it when the LCI was dropping.

sorry for going of topic a little bit haha

3 hours ago, Andyrt200 said:

Getting smaller now with 5s at any rate seeing as everyone is hanging on for their build to go ahead!