Black

Appreciating Asset?

Have noticed my 530d G31 xdrive go up over 3k in value on webuyanycar since December. With doing so few miles now it has certainly pushed back my change date by at least a year.

On a four year pcp and intended to change at three. Wonder if lots of other people are doing the same which is leading to a shortage.

This is why I recently changed. A speculative Motorway price request for my previous car, a Golf GTi, returned a valuation of £14,500. A week later it was £16,500. By the time I’d sent photos it was ready to sell with a reserve of £17,250, and it sold for £17,750. 

I went from ‘I wonder how much my Golf is worth’ to a 540i in less than a month. 

The flip-side is I probably paid more for the BMW than I would have done 6-months ago, so it all balances out. 

Interesting, we just paid £33,990 (the asking price) for an immaculate 3 year old G31 540i MSport with 19k miles on it. We traveled to Scotland to get it as it coincided with a trip to the mother in law. The same car down south is at least £3k more with some dealers asking much more.

There were a couple of 3 year old 540i G31s with 40k miles on them for about £29,500, everything else was more. 

There was one with 30k miles on it for about £32k from a non BMW place we looked at but they wouldn’t budge on the price & it was massively overdue on service requirements, had 3 different makes of tyres on it & one totally flat with a nail in as presented for test drive. The door kick plates were all badly corroded along with 3 of the wheels, we walked away from that one!

A good few years ago we bought a 2 year old F13 640d MSport with 20k miles on it, that was £36,500. 

The the interesting part being the 640d price new with options was about £68k, the list price for the 540i was £55,895 (not sure that includes options though, seems quite low). 

It would seem the 5 series depreciate a lot less than the 6, the salesman did admit the 6 series were over priced new.

We sold the 6 series back to BMW about 18 months after buying it (as my other half was forced into a company car) & only got about £25k! 

13 hours ago, Black said:

With doing so few miles now it has certainly pushed back my change date by at least a year.

On a four year pcp and intended to change at three.

Neither of us have ever bought a car on finance, can you get a better deal extending like that? If the car is now worth a good bit more than it was predicted to be I’d hope so! 

Strangely my WBAC valuation has just risen today (spam email) by £2k from 18th April to just under what I paid for it back in August 6k miles ago 

I've just sold my G30 530d after being offered a stupidly high amount from a dealer. Loved the car to pieces, however everything has its price! It's now advertised for only £1,500 less than I paid for it just over 18 months ago.

Sold it only to find out that any new car I want with Harman Kardon is end of the year <_<.

Used car stock are making absolute fortunes at auctions, people can't buy the stock hence everything going up in value currently. 

Edited by Liam2594

On 04/06/2021 at 11:25, Andyrt200 said:

Neither of us have ever bought a car on finance, can you get a better deal extending like that?

Under the BMW PCP deals you can usually terminate early without penalty so it's question of finding the time with the right balance between market value and balance outstanding. Essentially they both reduce over time but the curves can be quite different.

Looks like OP has a 4 year deal but was planning to terminate early after 3 years .....

Yes I was planning to go early after just over three years. Have done this on past PCP deals and it works out fine. Just get the settlement figure and use any equity for the next one.

My car was worth less than the settlement figure a few months ago but is now worth more so I am back into positive equity earlier than I expected due to the market environment.

Now reversing my initial thoughts and starting to test dealers on cost to change for cars in stock. 

Just updated WBAC and the increase in my mileage and it's gone up by £1k!

Very tempted to have 10 months and 8k miles of practically free motoring

Yes they seem to be appreciating still. I tried

to get a price for a new well spec’d 530D in stock at main dealer but zero interest from them.  So have now gone the Diesel Hybrid route, ordered an ID3 for short journeys and commute to replace our Mini Clubman and will keep the 530D for the longer hauls and Holidays. Was impressed by the ID3, motor makes it almost as quiet as the 3.0 B57 on the motorway…
Coincidently the mini has gone up £700 since I last checked.