db9

E34 Touring tailgate struts - popping off

Hello,

1995 530i Touring, tailgate struts required replacement.. the units that were on the car were Stabilus units and these have been replaced by "Genuine BMW"

(51248149327 & 51248149328).. The issue is the new units will pop off the ball headed bolt though not all the time and will happen on both sides.

The ball headed bolt shows no sign of wear etc and the tailgate strut "snaps" on as one would expect. Is there a secondary retainer? On realOEM I see a safety clip listed (07119987611) and wondering if this is what is missing and if so any images as to how they are meant to be installed?

The Stabilus unit(s) had a secondary clip as part of the unit hence why I ask.

Thank you..

When I replaced mine I got stabilus ones, to replace my sagging OEM ones both old and new had the retainer clip like this:t_99903_119_rod_assembly_ball_clip_ds_20200508094641.jpg.cfa8ea8bbd73f7bf3b206b9475e50d0f.jpg

gskballend.thumb.jpg.eefa7eb5476fb3623815f32b2a7fb1db.jpg

Different ..on the stabilus units we had the end looked like ..

image.thumb.png.838a7bee2446123162254fb3f3b6cc54.png

I'll order some clips, thank you.

Stephen

Hi mate, I replaced mine with geniune ones as well and they kept popping off until I replaced the balljoints and now all is well.

t.wak..

Did your "genuine" ones come with the retainer that Flandy mentions?

Wondering if I should order balljoints at the same time as delivery times for me in Canada as ridiculous as everything comes from the US.. but hate buying what I may never need or use.

Thanks

I'll have to check, but from memory they didn't have any extra clips they just pressed on and off. I certainly didn't replace any.

Originally I replaced the struts thinking it was that part that had worn out, but originally I bought Stabilus, and then went Genuine BMW and both popped off until I replaced the balljoints.

41218120964 is this the correct part number for the lower balljoint? I havent been able to find any new ones, BMW classic web site sent me the ones on the hatch instead. (probably my fault)

Hi Hamish,

according to RealOEM 41218120964 is the number for our 95 530i Touring - this is available from both FCP and ECS here in NA.

Your in Dublin - so I looked at Schmiedmann - they state or suggest that is an old number and list 41218186446 as the item to use - not sure if these are interchangeable.

whom else in Europe can you use as a supplier?

Stephen