wiewiorowski

E39 radio buttons unresponsive

Hi there,

I recently picked up a 2003 530i which has an issue with dead pixels on the radio display. However, I also found that none of the buttons on the unit itself seem to do anything. Audio sounds fine, and I can turn the volume up and down, and change the station using the steering wheel buttons. 

Can’t seem to find any similar issues on the forum. The seller did tell me he’d has to recharge the battery recently as it had gone flat from standing for a long period (previous owner passed away). 

Should I just look for a replacement radio?

Cheers!

It depends which radio you have, if it's a MID then you can easily open it and replace the LCD (it's actually the ribbon cable between the PCB and LCD which causes dead pixels) and while you're in there you can check the ribbon cables for the buttons. It's possible the previous owner opened it up already and broke the ribbon connectors for the buttons, or they're just loose.

If it's a non-MID radio then I'm not sure if you can buy a replacement LCD but you can usually find working units (yours will be a flat pin version, not round pin) for between £20-£40 online.

If you have buttons with no numbers then it's a MID (multi info display). If it has numbers on the lower buttons it's a standard radio.

image.png.906218a2b0ac69699372e134b78068da.png 

This is a standard radio.

image.png.ac301b007b0477fb372aa2d887602b4d.png 

This is a MID.

Not that I know of, they're not likely to be faulty, but it could be the ribbon cable not seated on the PCB properly.

Update on this, for anyone who stumbles across it. 

I took apart the MID today, just to check there wasn’t anything obviously disconnected. I sprayed a good deal of switch cleaner behind the buttons and on the contacts, and all my buttons work now!