Jump to content
Ocallen

E39 Sports seats

Recommended Posts

When an e39 saloon has sports seats do the rear ones differ to a standard car?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

^^ As above

 

Rear seats are the same; just the front ones that differ

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sport seats bases sit much higher than the standard seats - crazy but true. Apart from the fact that you feel like sitting on as opposed to in the driving seat, if you happen to be 6'2-6'3 or taller, the uppermost part of the rev counter and speedometer will be distorted as the line of sight travels via the heavily bent plastic lense edge. Proper fail by BMW. Thinking of swapping back to the standard set... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, dmarkovina1 said:

Sport seats bases sit much higher than the standard seats - crazy but true. Apart from the fact that you feel like sitting on as opposed to in the driving seat, if you happen to be 6'2-6'3 or taller, the uppermost part of the rev counter and speedometer will be distorted as the line of sight travels via the heavily bent plastic lense edge. Proper fail by BMW. Thinking of swapping back to the standard set... 

 

Could that just be the difference between a manual standard seat and an electronic sport seat perhaps? I believe the powered ones may need a touch more room underneath for the motors... The manual sports seats I have waiting to go in mine don’t look significantly different in height to the standard seats - although I must say I hadn’t thought to compare this particular aspect.  :unsure:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not familiar with height problem with sport seats being 181 cm tall. Gauges perfectly visible on optimal height. A sun roof will take plenty of roof space and there could be a problem if you are taller than 190 cm.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Had both sport and SE can can't say i noticed a difference - i'm 6' and have a sunroof and no problems with visibility of dials or headroom.

 

The seats go up and down and the steering wheel can be adjusted of course.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm just wondering if who ever said that sport seats are higher, actually might have issues with base height adjustment? Like snapped cable or failed motor?  Hard to imagine sport seats to be made significantly higher than SE seats. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 29/05/2021 at 18:17, dmarkovina1 said:

Sport seats bases sit much higher than the standard seats - crazy but true. Apart from the fact that you feel like sitting on as opposed to in the driving seat, if you happen to be 6'2-6'3 or taller, the uppermost part of the rev counter and speedometer will be distorted as the line of sight travels via the heavily bent plastic lense edge. Proper fail by BMW. Thinking of swapping back to the standard set... 

 

Really?!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 30/05/2021 at 23:30, d_a_n1979 said:

 

Really?!

I am not making this up, being 6'3...Still haven't sold my standard seats, having second thoughts - 9 months after the swap. Currently bodywork being done so decision postponed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Without meaning to patronise, are you sure you have no other issues with them adjustment wise? I never felt "perched" in either SE or sports seat - like i say at a smidge over 6' and a long back plus sunroof i have no issue in my sport.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 29/05/2021 at 19:23, CG172 said:

 

Could that just be the difference between a manual standard seat and an electronic sport seat perhaps? I believe the powered ones may need a touch more room underneath for the motors... The manual sports seats I have waiting to go in mine don’t look significantly different in height to the standard seats - although I must say I hadn’t thought to compare this particular aspect.  :unsure:

My standard and sport seats are both manual. I have fully electric contours in my E38 and have no issue with base being too high - close call but still fine. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, duncan-uk said:

Without meaning to patronise, are you sure you have no other issues with them adjustment wise? I never felt "perched" in either SE or sports seat - like i say at a smidge over 6' and a long back plus sunroof i have no issue in my sport.

100% sadly.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

At 6ft 4 I've zero issues

 

Yes; I can't see the top of the speedo; but I couldn't in my E38 or E65 either (E65 less so though)

 

I've sat on SE seats that have been all the way down too; exactly the same

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah can't say ive noticed any difference between the two and I have sat on both, im 6'1. sport seats all the way down and base angle all the way front up, back rest quite upright , I get a lovely bucket seat feel, my only minor point would be steering wheel could do with coming a bit closer, and I have it set so I cant see the bottom part of the digital cluster, top of steering wheel is just above the dials for me.

 

Standard seats feel same height to me just flatter  and less supportive. If I ever come across the e38 comfort sport seats I would fit a set of them, they look awesome.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes, I’ve bought a set in black leather that seems from the photos to be in good condition. No sagging bolsters, no holes or rips. Light wear on the outer driver’s seat backrest bolster that black dye and leather conditioner will rejuvenate.

 

When I fit them I’ll have the opportunity to fit the black Sport B pillar trims that the seat belts thread through.

 

Also found a local firm that fit custom glass to vehicles and repair sunroofs  that can swap my metal sunroof for the glass one that I bought just before the first Lockdown.

Likewise a local company can now do the anthracite carbon finish on the M3 type aftermarket door mirrors that I’ve had for over a year. Getting back to speed with the refurbishment.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×