RobM

Advice appreciated, possibly buying a 540i

1 hour ago, RobM said:

it would be nice to be reminded what’s under the hood.

That happens when you apply more than the usual amount of pressure on the right pedal :mrgreen:

I'm back with another question :) I'm viewing a 540i this weekend and want to be clear about service requirements and the recommended service schedule, so I know what it should have had already, and what's next.

Is there anywhere I can reference that shows the correct schedule, e.g. the specific age or mileage triggers for specific services or service items? Google let me down on this one.

2 hours ago, RobM said:

I'm back with another question :) I'm viewing a 540i this weekend and want to be clear about service requirements and the recommended service schedule, so I know what it should have had already, and what's next.

Is there anywhere I can reference that shows the correct schedule, e.g. the specific age or mileage triggers for specific services or service items? Google let me down on this one.

It's condition based servicing rather than a prescribed schedule. 

You should be able to see all of that recorded in the iDrive vehicle info menu. 

There should be an entry for every service and if it's in green it was done on time, Amber it was done later than the system recommended and Red I believe is missed - going into each entry should give more info on what was done. 

It should also show you future estimated service needs with mileage and date guides. 

Edited by JDX-90

Yes sorry, I wasn't very clear, I get that bit as it's basically the same as my old F10. What I'm not sure about is the pattern of interim and major services and at what age / mileage each should be done, brake fluids, spark plugs, etc. 

Unless it has changed from F10 to G30 and it shows the type of service and what was carried out specifically on the iDrive?

"Minor" @ 2 years / 19000 miles - Oil change and filter and micro-filter

Major @ (another) 2 years / 19000 i.e. 4 yr / 38000 miles as above and plugs and air filter plus "vehicle check"

The above figures can vary (downwards) depending on driving style / type etc i.e. condition based as JDX90 says.

Brake fluid at 3 yrs and then every 2 yrs.

You should be able to get an idea from the BMW website if you look for a quote for a service pack ....................

Edited by Mr H

Amazing, thank you! I strongly suspect the supplying dealer will offer to 'do a service' to the car for me... I want to make sure it's the right service, which given the age and mileage needs to be a major based on what you've added. Really appreciate it, thanks.

I did it :D I’m now the proud owner of a 67-plate 540i.

As is often the case with buying used cars there is some good and some bad, but the balance is right. 

The bad is some cosmetic concerns, some scratches and minor stone chips, and one interior trim mark I'm not delighted about. The brake pads are showing as only having a few thousand miles left in them too, and it needs a major service (thanks again for the service advice Mr H!).

The good makes it worthwhile. It was fairly badly advertised so has a bunch of features I think should have increased the price, such as folding rear seats, adaptive high beam assist, the more adjustable seats, etc. It also has nearly new tyres all round, drives superbly, has no dings and dents, it’s all good. 

Being a fussy sod I decided I’d rather have the paint corrected and service done myself by an Indi I trust, so they can give the car a once-over and give me confidence all is well and I’m off to a good start. The price dropped a bit as a result. 

I also need to add CarPlay, so recommendations for a company to supply and fit it would be appreciated. 

Sincere thanks to everyone who answered my dumb questions. 
Sincere apologies that I haven’t finished asking dumb questions yet  :D

I'm a few days in now and this definitely feels like a bloody good decision! :D

The engine is indeed a peach. Ordinarily I remap my cars but frankly, it's hard to justify in this one. There's so much effortless pace and acceleration I struggle to see where I'd benefit.

I've had a play with Bimmercode and made a few tweaks, I've fitted a sunglasses holder in place of a roof grab handle, and I've ordered some black grills (I really don't like chrome), so it has been a fun weekend :) 

I also had a chance to clean and polish it and a lot of the cosmetic concerns I had have reduced massively. I've booked in a full paint correction and detailing session, including some TLC for the leather seats, just to make it as good as possible. That'll just leave a couple of stone chips to be dealt with later.

6 hours ago, RobM said:

The engine is indeed a peach. Ordinarily I remap my cars but frankly, it's hard to justify in this one. There's so much effortless pace and acceleration I struggle to see where I'd benefit.

Yes I’d agree there, I’ve got a remapped 335i & had it in the back of my mind I’d be doing the same thing till I floored the 540i in Sport mode for the first time! 

Although its surprisingly how quickly 400odd bhp starts to feel normal. Its nice to have the the old E39 530i to reset your feeling of a normal “fast” car then the others feel properly fast again! 

My first thought was the 540i was kind of lacking in exhaust noise but I think it’s probably not a bad thing, a 5 series should be nice & relaxed. I put decated down pipes on the 335i & the extra engine noise from those is boarding on annoying. Mind you we have a TVR Cerbera with decats the 335i exhaust note is very subdued compared to that! 

I’ve come to the same conclusion; initially I thought it was a bit too quiet but actually it suits the nature of the car better this way. It hides its ability well so shouting about it would spoil that. 

Pics soon, prob after the grilles are fitted and paint correction complete. We all like to look our best for the prom photos…

59 minutes ago, Andyrt200 said:

Although its surprisingly how quickly 400odd bhp starts to feel normal. Its nice to have the the old E39 530i to reset your feeling of a normal “fast” car then the others feel properly fast again! 

Is it 400h-odd hp ? Not nearer 340? I’ve lost track tbh.

3 hours ago, Boba said:

Is it 400h-odd hp ? Not nearer 340? I’ve lost track tbh.

Sorry I was referring to my remapped 335i (& the TVR) being around 400bhp the standard 540i is 340bhp. 

It has been a busy couple of weeks since this thread... so far the car has had a full service and 'warts and all' inspection by a trusted Indi; four-wheel alignment (shocking to see how far out it was, and how much better it feels now!); replacement centre console (which had a chip taken out of it and some wear and tear marks); black double-slat grilles fitted; and CarPlay activated (although I'm waiting for the WiFi Antenna to arrive so it's a bit useless at the moment).

This weekend it's having a full detail, paint correction, leather care, etc, and hopefully the WiFi Antenna will arrive.

Then, I might actually drive it a bit more... :D

WiFi Antenna arrived today. Some slight confusion in fitting it - it had a blue connector so I plugged it I to the blue socket, but it should be the purple socket. Once that was corrected it works a treat. 

If anybody is thinking of retrofitting CarPlay I highly recommend the eBay seller ‘bimmerretrouk’ https://ebay.co.uk/usr/bimmerretrouk

I bought the antenna and CarPlay activation from them and their service and assistance has been superb (eg telling me to pick the right colour!).