Andy G

E60 pre or post LCI, DAB options

First time looking at these cars, I'm looking at a 530d or a 535d touring and wondered what the options were for DAB.

I take it this was never standard back in say 2006, but is it retrofittable? if so is that straightforward, I'd rather not have the cig lighter plug in things if I can help it.

Dab retro fit is an option on the LCI and I had it done on my 2008 530i

Lee88 put a diy  guide on here so search under his name

Jay

You can also fit an updated CIC unit with DAB built-in (pop up on eBay from time to time) and then just fit an aftermarket windscreen mounted DAB aerial under the rear roof trim so the whole thing is hidden from view.  Had this for over a year on mine and works perfectly, even in the countryside.

I did DAB retrofit and followed Lee's useful instructions . I did find out on the way that if you have the older style "orange" display software  on your idrive info display (my car is a late 2006)  it won't allow DAB retrofit . After mine was updated to the newer "Silver" style software it all worked 

Edited by saintetienne

On 21/05/2021 at 10:39, Andy G said:

First time looking at these cars, I'm looking at a 530d or a 535d touring and wondered what the options were for DAB.

I take it this was never standard back in say 2006, but is it retrofittable? if so is that straightforward, I'd rather not have the cig lighter plug in things if I can help it.

My car has DAB from factory. Lci 2008. But if retrofit, I would avoid the factory one. Reception is not great.