Jump to content
ben_pf

BMW Premium Speakers Dimensions

Recommended Posts

Good Afternoon All,

 

I have a bit of a random request I was hoping to get some help with. I have some holes in my parcel shelf and although I'm on the hunt for a rear sun blind version to replace it, in the interm I thought perhaps the premium speakers would be a neat way to cover them up and  enhance my e28 at the same time.

 

If anyone has a set that they could measure roughly to give me an idea of whether this is even possible it would be greatly appreciated

 

or dream scenario...someone here has a sunblind they are willing to sell!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Ben,

 

Try Ivo in the Netherlands as he has an M10 / M20 version with the straight back showing for sale.

 

Hat-shelf-with-pioneer-boxes-and-sunblind-300x300.jpg

 

https://www.e28.nl/en/product/bmw-m10-m20-euro-hatt-shelf-with-sunblind-rollo/

 

If you have the shaped parcel shelf then you could consider transferring the roller blind to your parcel shelf and re-covering it with new carpet.

 

Alternately, try Tims https://forum.bmw5.co.uk/profile/31264-tims/ he has had some E28's in for breaking now and again and may have one of these stanched away.

 

The premium rear speakers are 5 1/2" x 8".

 

If you look at the underside of your parcel shelf you should have something like this:

 

IMG_1552.JPG.e2beddbceaf837689ad737cbb0bb4960.JPGIMG_1554.JPG.2d4e56739b92ecb84720661f54df9535.JPGIMG_1555.JPG.4314f47d1b4b87ca268683b9886ef61d.JPG

 

I believe the cut out piece fit the standard speakers using the four securing holes closest to the cut out.

 

I believe the Premium speakers use the other outer four securing holes.  I suspect the two square holes may be related to the premium speakers as well.  Not sure what the pre-formed larger cut out is for as it looks like it may well be larger than the premium speakers, but could be wrong.

 

Stay safe and best regards,

 

Mick

 

Edited by Ordnator

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Ordnator said:

Hi Ben,

 

Try Ivo in the Netherlands as he has an M10 / M20 version with the straight back showing for sale.

 

Hat-shelf-with-pioneer-boxes-and-sunblind-300x300.jpg

 

https://www.e28.nl/en/product/bmw-m10-m20-euro-hatt-shelf-with-sunblind-rollo/

 

If you have the shaped parcel shelf then you could consider transferring the roller blind to your parcel shelf and re-covering it with new carpet.

 

Alternately, try Tims https://forum.bmw5.co.uk/profile/31264-tims/ he has had some E28's in for breaking now and again and may have one of these stanched away.

 

The premium rear speakers are 5 1/2" x 8".

 

If you look at the underside of your parcel shelf you should have something like this:

 

IMG_1552.JPG.e2beddbceaf837689ad737cbb0bb4960.JPGIMG_1554.JPG.2d4e56739b92ecb84720661f54df9535.JPGIMG_1555.JPG.4314f47d1b4b87ca268683b9886ef61d.JPG

 

I believe the cut out piece fit the standard speakers using the four securing holes closest to the cut out.

 

I believe the Premium speakers use the other outer four securing holes.  I suspect the two square holes may be related to the premium speakers as well.  Not sure what the pre-formed larger cut out is for as it looks like it may well be larger than the premium speakers, but could be wrong.

 

Stay safe and best regards,

 

Mick

 

The larger cut-out is for the "premium" speakers Mick so 10 out of 10.The square holes are to allow installation of speed clips to screw the speaker cabinets down.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Taffy 1 said:

The larger cut-out is for the "premium" speakers Mick so 10 out of 10.The square holes are to allow installation of speed clips to screw the speaker cabinets down.

 

Hi Ivor,

 

Thanks for chiming in with your knowledge and confirming my assumptions / ramblings.

 

Stay safe and best regards,

 

Mick

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks Ordnator and Taffy for the help. I didn't realise there was 2 different kinds of parcel shelf shapes, I learn something new every time I visit.

I must go and check which I have. I suspect I  have the curved as I have comfort seating and the large armrest in the center.

 

Can the blind be transferred over despite the current shelf not having the "hump"?

 

I assume it's possible to trim then straight edge to suit the same shape as the curved, is it?

 

I think the premium speakers will work for what I originally set out to achieve then...covering the 6X4 holes that someone had cut in the original shelf.

As I see that the premium is made up of a 5.5" speaker and a ~1" speaker/tweeter so should be at least 6.5" long and 5.5" wide.

 

If I can figure out how to bring the sunblind into the equation now I'll be delighted! I'll report back once I check the shape of my current

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Coincidentally I’ve just put some Premium speakers up for sale in the classifieds here if you are still looking for some (and like beige!)

 

 

C4A32466-267F-4B65-A3AC-0B3ACC98791D.jpeg

D98ADB25-0DBA-4FB3-BBD1-3B53953EFA38.jpeg

78237115-5F0B-40F7-880E-4C3E850D808E.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Ben,

 

In answer to your questions and a little bit of a story of my rear parcel shelf journey.

 

On 22/05/2021 at 07:36, ben_pf said:

Thanks Ordnator and Taffy for the help. I didn't realise there was 2 different kinds of parcel shelf shapes, I learn something new every time I visit.

I must go and check which I have. I suspect I  have the curved as I have comfort seating and the large armrest in the center.

 

Can the blind be transferred over despite the current shelf not having the "hump"?  Yes, the roller blind and it's fixing are common.  On the flat Euro parcel shelf the "hump" is merely the carpet molded over and around the roller blind.  The US parcel shelf has a significant step at the back for a third high level brake light.

 

I assume it's possible to trim then straight edge to suit the same shape as the curved, is it?  I believe the curved edge is wider than a straight edge so likely no.

 

I think the premium speakers will work for what I originally set out to achieve then...covering the 6X4 holes that someone had cut in the original shelf.

As I see that the premium is made up of a 5.5" speaker and a ~1" speaker/tweeter so should be at least 6.5" long and 5.5" wide.  Premium speakers are 5 1/2 inches wide and 8 inches long.

 

If I can figure out how to bring the sunblind into the equation now I'll be delighted! I'll report back once I check the shape of my current  

 

 

Roller Blind Fitting:

 

You will need the Holders x 2 (item 9) which clip onto pre-existing bracket on the roof above the headliner.

 

You will likely need the Hook Left (item 4) and Hook Right (item 5) as these may not come with a second hand roller blind or may be sun brittle / damaged.

 

The roller blind is secured with screws x 2 (item 6), nuts x 2 (item eight) and washers x 2 (item 7).

 

All of these items look to still be available from the Main Stealers as they have not been "ENDED".

Rear window shelf/sun blind 
No. Description Supp. Qty  From   Up To  Part Number Price   Notes
01 Rear window shelf with sun blind ANTHRAZIT 1     51461920522     ENDED
01 Rear window shelf with sun blind PACIFIC 1     51461920523     ENDED
01 Rear window shelf with sun blind PINIENGRUEN 1     51461920526     ENDED
01 Rear window shelf with sun blind NUTRIA 1 09/1982   51461920524     ENDED
01 Rear window shelf with sun blind PERLBEIGE 1 09/1982   51461920525     ENDED
  ONLY APPLIES TO EDITION    
01 Rear window shelf with sun blind ANTHRAZIT 1     51461920528 $316.94   ENDED
01 Rear window shelf with sun blind PACIFIC 1     51461920529 $316.94   ENDED
01 Rear window shelf with sun blind PERLBEIGE 1 09/1982   51461920531     ENDED
03 Roller sun shield   1     51461886665 $217.62   ENDED
04 Hook left   1     51461917381 $1.20    
05 Hook right   1     51461917382 $1.20    
06 Fillister head screw M3X10 4     07119907604 $0.42    
07 Hex nut M3 4     07119922016 $0.09    
08 Washer A3,2 4     07119931015 $0.09    
09 Holder ANTHRAZIT 2 09/1982   51461905393 $2.80    
Notes
  • ENDED = the part has been discontinued (no longer available).

Third high level brake light

 

I wanted some more safety / protection from the UK "tail gaiters" as the E28 brake light are quite low down so acquired an E28 high level brake light from the US and fitted it to the Bronzitbeige Eta back in 2015:

 

Subsequently found that the US E28's have a parcel shelf with a significant rear set to accommodate the third high level brake light.

 

Acquired a US parcel shelf and had d:class automotive https://www.dclass.co.uk/ fit a roller blind in front of the step and re-upholster with new carpet which ended up looking like this:

 

Image.jpg.5783816830da8d05a8282825e2c4e1de.jpg

 

This was conducted as part of a complete interior re-trim back in 2016-2017:

 

https://www.dclass.co.uk/gallery_images/bmw-525e/

 

Had three hybrid US parcel shelf with integrated Euro roller blind and premium speaker set up produced by d:class.

 

Number 1.    A curved back parcel shelf with large center arm rest for the Diamantschwartz Eta:

IMG_1711.JPG.5d2e41e20d31e36945de3d0fab40e1c0.JPGIMG_1712.JPG.a93513dd06236ed1f5c6b1e851824a3e.JPG

IMG_1264.JPG.afe827a36153750238f565c7d591d9f5.JPG

 

Number 2.    A straight back parcel shelf with small center arm rest for the Zobelbraun Eta:

IMG_1707.JPG.70bd762facf356dd661ff0b1d318ff0d.JPGIMG_1706.JPG.aeabc4c3b5ba53432e30afb7a229930e.JPGIMG_1705.JPG.e34ceea640962dcfa3aeae999b967c84.JPG

 

Number 3.    A curved back parcel shelf with large center arm rest for the Bronzitbeige Eta trimmed in Nutria carpet, currently waiting to be fitted on completion of the body work and re-paint by Classic Bahnstormers in Cirencester http://www.classicbahnstormers.com/.

 

US Parcel Shelf for a 1987 E28 528e

 

Rear window shelf 
 
No. Description Supp. Qty  From   Up To  Part Number Price   Notes
01 Rear window shelf ANTHRAZIT 1 09/1985   51461937701 $145.39   ENDED
01 Rear window shelf PACIFIC 1 09/1985   51461937702 $145.39   ENDED
01 Rear window shelf NUTRIA 1 09/1985   51461937703     ENDED
01 Rear window shelf PEARLBEIGE 1 09/1985   51461937704 $145.39    
01 Rear window shelf PINIENGRUEN 1 09/1985   51461937705     ENDED
01 Rear window shelf LAMA 1 09/1985   51461937706     ENDED
02 Covering cap   1     51461922207 $0.86   ENDED
02 Covering cap   1   11/1987 51461953039 $0.68   ENDED
02 Covering cap   1     51461973908 $3.30   ENDED
03 Wing nut M5 1     51461929406     ENDED
03 Wing nut M8 1     51461973909 $0.50    
04 Bracket   2     51461920738 $1.47   ENDED
04 Covering cap   1     51461953039 $0.68   ENDED
04 Covering cap   1     51461973908 $3.30   ENDED
Notes
  • ENDED = the part has been discontinued (no longer available).

 

Only the PEARLBEIGE item showing as available and when these have all been sold this will also likely be "ENDED".

 

Believe this is for a curved back parcel shelf as I have had three of these but they were anthrazit, so I likely expended the remaining stock of these a couple of year back.

 

Hopefully this will help and inform you of the "art of the possible" with E28 parcel shelves.

 

Stay safe and best regards,

 

Mick

 

 

 

 

Edited by Ordnator

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Ben,

 

While on the subject of rear window blinds I forgot to mention the uber rare Electric E28 rear sun shade:

 

C5AD7110-F47F-4591-9115-4B68680952E1.jpeg

 

Also the uber, uber rare Rear passenger door sun shades:

 

https://forum.bmw5.co.uk/applications/core/interface/file/attachment.php?id=108379

 

Stay safe and best regards,

 

Mick

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×