andycstokes

Error Messages/ Timing Chain / Cold Start

Hi all looking for advice on my 520d F11 MSport Auto.

Over the post few months, I've had a few symptoms which I wonder if they're related?

Firstly, the noise from the engine is noticeably noisier when cold, more than you'd direct from a diesel, although it duress seen slightly better now that the overnight temperatures have improved a little. I put it down to the engine cover on a cold morning. I believe I have the N47T engine which has covered 73k miles and 10k miles since the last oil change. Could the increased noise be due to the timing chain, or just in need of an oil change? (Or just the engine cover? ) I appreciate it's difficult to tell just from my description!

Secondly, some strange error messages over recent weeks. Drivetrain, transmission, auto hold, parking brake, abs, steering. I should note the messages have disappeared and have been absent for the past week or so. Could the drivetrain and transmission errors somehow be linked to any timing chain issue.

I'd welcome your advice please.

Thanks

Andy.

Sent from my SM-G977B using Tapatalk

The noise at cold start up could just be vibration from the top engine cover which is quite common, regarding the error messages I would first check and test the battery voltage as low voltage and and an intermittent charging alternator will throw up error messages in abundance 

5 minutes ago, Oldbilly said:

I would first check and test the battery voltage as low voltage and and an intermittent charging alternator will throw up error messages in abundance 

When viewing a few F11s before buying my 520d I viewed a lovely 523i Touring - 2010 with a genuine 54k miles. I would have bought it were it not for the fuel economy which was just too much to take! However, it has been on the forecourt for a while in cold weather and had a low battery - caused all sorts of weird gremlins. The car needed the key right against the steering column to start, the heater wouldn’t come on and there were several error message too - all apparently caused by the cars rather clever way of saving battery power. So yes, I can vouch for low charge causing issues. Definitely worth checking.

Long story short, since my last post, the errors disappeared, but have now returned.

I have checked for error codes and the car is showing error 'U0028 Vehicle Communication Bus A'

Anyone know what could be to blame for this error?

I've had lots of weird errors pop up over over the past few days, Inc drivetrain, transmission, abs, steering, autohold and parking brake. Under hard accelleration/revs on 2-3 occasions the dashboard lit up like a Christmas tree and the rev counter dropped to zero (engineer was still running).

Any thoughts welcomed?

I've cleared the code for now, so will be keen to see if it re-emerges!

Thanks.

Weird errors can be related to low electrical power IME.

Can you charge the battery.  Does the stop start still work?  If it does its an indication that the electrical system is in good health.

Wear in the timing chain (noise like a rubbing rattle on idle coming from the top rear of the engine) can also throw up errors as the engine looses its correct timing slightly and causes the drive train warning.  What were the other codes that you found?

Weird errors can be related to low electrical power IME.

Can you charge the battery.  Does the stop start still work?  If it does its an indication that the electrical system is in good health.

Wear in the timing chain (noise like a rubbing rattle on idle coming from the top rear of the engine) can also throw up errors as the engine looses its correct timing slightly and causes the drive train warning.  What were the other codes that you found?
Thanks Andrew, the battery seems ok. Stop/Start works fine, the diagnostic tool reports 14.74v with the engine running and 12.xx (can't remember) without. The car seems to drive fine. I've not tried charging the battery, but based upon these readings I'm not sure it's required?

Thanks Andrew, the battery seems ok. Stop/Start works fine, the diagnostic tool reports 14.74v with the engine running and 12.xx (can't remember) without. The car seems to drive fine. I've not tried charging the battery, but based upon these readings I'm not sure it's required?

No other codes came up on the diagnostic tool. The errors on the I drive display whilst driving include: Drivetrain, Transmission, Autohold, Parking Brake (partially available), Steering and Chassis.

I cleared code U0028 and the engine warning light disappeared. I also disconnected and reconnected the battery, but having done both, I went on a 30 min drive and still got autohold and parking brake errors popping up after about 15 minutes. The errors seem to be more prevalent at higher speeds.

Rules out the battery then I would think.  Pity as its an easy fix.

Something more sinister is lurking.  Can you get more details on the fault codes you pulled up for the drivetrain and transmission previously?

You need to drive it until it faults again and then read the fault codes and let us know what they are.

The idrive faults are not very specific.  I had a drivetrain idrive warning,

1-IMG-6677.jpg

but running a diagnostics it tells me it was a misfire on cylinder #1 which then pinpoints the fault somewhat more.

4-IMG-6681.jpg

I had a similar problem when I had e91 330d after much head scratching over this it turn out to be intermittent charging from the alternator, the alternator test is easy to carry out and there is plenty of info on YouTube, mine was charging 11 volts and then change to 13 volts, a new alternator solved the problem

I checked the voltage and at tickover the battery is registering 14.74v, which suggests the battery system is ok, unless its an intermittent problem.

There's no water in the well in the boot or anywhere else I can identify.

I had someone do a thorough diagnostic check on Wednesday. There were 50-60 errors, varying in nature, suggesting a communications issue, so possibly a loose plug, damaged wiring or a dodgy circuit. It could either be a simple issue to identify the cause by someone that knows what they're doing, or I could throw hundreds at it to find and rectify the problem.

The codes were deleted and reset, after a 40 mile round trip today, most of the errors have returned!

If you can recharge the battery to full voltage go for test drive and monitor if any codes pop up, it does sound like a voltage issue, as I said earlier I had almost every error pop up on e91 and it always ran well with errors in the end the dash started to act up gauges working then not working  checked the alternator and the voltage alternated between 10/11/13 volts turned out to be the brushes on the alternator causing the problem, new alternator solved the problem.

On 14/08/2021 at 00:09, andycstokes said:

I checked the voltage and at tickover the battery is registering 14.74v, which suggests the battery system is ok, unless its an intermittent problem.

That's a sign that the alternator is working correctly as in producing the correct voltage, not necessarily checking the battery is healthy.

On 14/08/2021 at 00:09, andycstokes said:

The codes were deleted and reset, after a 40 mile round trip today, most of the errors have returned!

Can you share the error codes with us?

I'm thinking of trying to find where some of the main electrical modules might be located and check the plugs are connected securely.

Given my errors, is there a particular module I should check first and if so, any idea of where it is?

Thanks.

Having driven the car a bit this week, the alerts either start appearing after a sharp left hand turn, or at speeds above approx 60mph. The most common faults are still auto hold, parking brake, transmission and drive train. Are the modules for each jn the same location?

If it were just making a sharp left turn it might indicate that water is collecting somewhere and only causing a issue once it starts sloshing about. In this instance is there anywhere I should look?

(Low speed urban roads with gentle driving doesn't cause any issues).