CBR600FV

Run-flat repairs?

Offending article removed from tyre. 6mm bolt had gone through the tread block, didn't appear to have a sharpened entry point either & iw wasn't raining on the day to have lubricated to aid entry....

Still, the runflat would have saved a big accident in the event of a major blowout as previous members have noted.

Bolt 001.jpg

18 hours ago, bmwf113.0d said:

Repaired or new rubber? 

Repair, no internal sidewall damage as the car had not run with zero pressure. I watched the tyre guy remove & refit, could see how stiff the sidewalls are & this was a 35 profile.

I’m still not sure I understand why repairing a runflat that has been driven on flat is risky but repairing a normal tyre driven in exactly the same conditions but without any of the additional sidewall strengthening is no problem at all?

Does anyone know the mechanics of this approach or has it just become the accepted approach through time?

19 minutes ago, Zerouali said:

I’m still not sure I understand why repairing a runflat that has been driven on flat is risky but repairing a normal tyre driven in exactly the same conditions but without any of the additional sidewall strengthening is no problem at all?

Does anyone know the mechanics of this approach or has it just become the accepted approach through time?

My understanding is that any tyre that has been driven on while flat should not be repaired. 

A non run flat tyre is unlikely to be driven on when fully flat, as there would be very little control, it would be dangerous and you could damage the alloy if you tried.

A run flat is designed to be driven on while flat so this is a likely scenario when asking for a repair hence some vendors not allowing it full stop as they can't guarantee it hasn't been done.