Sparkchap

Rear shock dust covers

Hi All

I have just replaced the rear discs/pads and noticed that both shock covers have disintegrated. It looks as if replacement covers are available from a quick Google.

Any thoughts/experience on doing this job as diy?  

Thanks 

If it's an SE or Luxury saloon, I have a bump stop for sale....

If it's a saloon, it easy enough to replace the gaiters when changing springs or shocks.

If it's a wagon version then either or both @Cadwell Parker or @Caesar might have done this job and be able to offer advice.

Gaiters are readily available from BMW or many after market suppliers.

Not me I'm afraid.  I did get new ones fitted when my rear shocks were replaced but I didn't do the job myself. Actually I've noticed at least one of mine is looking quite the worse for wear again so I might look into it and post up a DIY How-To if I decide to tackle them myself.  My front gaiters both have splits in them but they're going to have to wait.  

10 hours ago, Sparkchap said:

Mine is a touring with the switchable dampers...... they look expensive. 

They don't look expensive, they will be expensive! 

But you can change gaiters easily enough on them without too much bother as the shock is separate from the spring (air bag) on the touring so it just unbolted after unplugging it.

Part #4 is what you are after.

https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/showparts?id=MU72-EUR-01-2013-F11-BMW-535i&diagId=33_1509

Just checked out the video..... looks ridiculously easy. I have the gaiters and bumpers, so once the weather improves this one is on my list.

I did these on my F11 (with adaptive damping). Easy job. What ruins the bump stops is when the air springs have previously failed & the car has sat on / driven on the bump stops for a while. It destroys them. This job is best tackled with an Impact Driver. I bought a cheap 240V 1/2in job, it made light work of it.

On 15/05/2021 at 22:39, BFleming said:

What ruins the bump stops is when the air springs have previously failed & the car has sat on / driven on the bump stops for a while. It destroys them. 

Not in my case; seems the material just perished over time.

8 hours ago, Caesar said:

Not in my case; seems the material just perished over time.

Same with mine.... the stops appear to have just dried out over time. Good excuse to fit shiny, new ones :grin:

Failed air springs put paid to mine. One is partially intact, the other is shredded. Having replaced the springs I now have some new bump stops on order. Looks like an easy job.