Apologies if this car has been mentioned on here before, I did search but couldn't find anything. The white E61 import that's on ebay and has been for sale for some time:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/164827020374

What's the collective thoughts on the vehicle as a whole (spec, condition, etc), and thoughts on the reason why it hasn't sold? Given the age, apparent condition, mileage, the fact that it's standard etc, it doesn't seem too bad a price. I know it's a big, thirsty car and not what too many people are after these days, though.

The service history is obviously missing an entry, and it should also be due another one any time now I presume.

Given that the MoT expires on July 8th, it seems to have been in the UK for almost a year, I wonder if there's still any room to barter on price...  It has been reduced by £1k in recent weeks.

It has the standard auto box rather than the sport auto with the paddles, I don't know how much of a good/bad thing that is?

The iDrive seems a curious thing too, shouldn't a 2010 have the controller shown below?

Anyway, I'm rambling now. Any input much appreciated.

Cheers

idrive.jpeg

Edited by Coyne

I first clapped eye's on this about a year ago.

I'd buy it in a heartbeat at the original price, but I can't afford it at the moment (story of my life)

Yeah I'd definitely veiw it at that price & as long as you're happy with it & the back story check's out.

Do a vin check, ask them if it comes with a fresh ticket (but that'll change your bargaining power, it's already been dropped by 1k)

But don't ask, don't know

Some dealers seem happy to sit on stock until it sells & it's one of the best available for the last 18 months.

It's hardly like there's a big pool of late 550i's to choose from.

Ha, yeah same, I've been watching it for what seems like forever.

What you say is right, it's true that there's not exactly a large choice. I guess there's no way to check the VIN from the reg due to it being recently assigned and not that having reg from new?

It's a lovely touring and with being a Jap import; it'll be very clean & corrosion free underneath :) 

It's been in my eBay watchlist for ages, as DDD says, it's got a lot of watchers, but no ones moved on it yet...

Overall it's a great car; as long as it all adds up, it'd be a superb buy, but IMO it is priced high and that's why it's not sold

Re the VIN; if you ask them for the last 7 digits of it, you should be able to decode the VIN; they may have already done that, so message them to see if they can forward that onto you etc

44 minutes ago, d_a_n1979 said:

It's a lovely touring and with being a Jap import; it'll be very clean & corrosion free underneath :) 

It's been in my eBay watchlist for ages, as DDD says, it's got a lot of watchers, but no ones moved on it yet...

Overall it's a great car; as long as it all adds up, it'd be a superb buy, but IMO it is priced high and that's why it's not sold

Re the VIN; if you ask them for the last 7 digits of it, you should be able to decode the VIN; they may have already done that, so message them to see if they can forward that onto you etc

Yeah definitely, the appeal of an import is exactly that - lower mileage, lighter use, hopefully better overall condition etc. One of it's watchers has been me since it first appeared, but I certainly think there's room for more money off.

I still think the iDrive controller thing is a bit odd but I suppose it's not the end of the world. 

As Dan says ask the seller for the last 7 digits of the vin to do your own checks.

If there a reputable seller I can't see there being an issue (assuming they want to sell the car)

I feel BMW'S  can have quite a few crossover parts (what they had to hand)

My own car is a 2006 55 plate, it's got the combined dpf & cat off the turbo, newer i-drive controller, push button start, later 231bhp engine, but the older zf6hp26 box (I believe it's 2007 on car's got the newer box).

It might be that although it's a first registered in 2010 car it was built before then & sat in storage or in a dealers showroom.

If you're happy with carbon black there's a 2007 550i come up with the same 45k miles for £9450.00. I don't know how the specs compare, chances are that there actually similar in build dates.

I've done that as you both suggested and got the VIN - WBAPW52050CZ16078.

On more than one decoder site it comes back as a 2008 car with black paint and grey interior. Both sites recognise the VIN but change it to WBAPW52090CZ16078 when they display the data (I guess the sites are recognising the car from its last 7 characters and are changing the full VIN as a result?) The seller insists the VIN he gave me is correct. Are these decoder sites always accurate? The seller suggests not. 

The seller sent me a video of the car. The drivers seat leather is scuffed on both the base and the back rest, and there's a scrape on the rear N/S of the bumper. I know it's a fairly old car and it's unreasonable to expect a minter, but both issues are a little disappointing. 

As far as the black 45k miler on eBay goes, yes it looks quite nice but I do prefer the LCI interior. It's certainly one to add to the Watch List though.

At the price being asked for the white one, I'd expect any small bits to be done and it as immaculate as possible... 

The VIN alterations would be of concern too. 

Something about that car doesn't sit right with me

The drivers seat looks knackered for such low miles; those things wear hard too, from recollection

Is it me or are some of the rear shut lines not right too?

Personally, at the price they're asking, I wouldn't go near it. The UK black one that's on eBay looks a better buy IMO. Looks more genuine

I may be wrong; but I'm good at reading my gut and my gut says to me, there's things not right with that/about white one!

You know what, my spidey senses are also tingling. The seat thing I completely agree with, looks to have had a hard 45k if it's real.

However, I have solved one issue. The vendor made a mistake with the VIN. A close look at the auction sheet (4B) shows it's a 6 at the end of the VIN, not an 8. It does now come up as white, but it's still a 2008 build car.

In both the pics and the video, some of the paint looks a little off from panel to panel. I'll have another look at the rear shut lines now, but I actually thought the same thing of the front shut lines!

The black 45k miler on eBay is also an import, I've just got the VIN of that one of the seller, I'm going to sit and have a look now. Pity it's not a facelift as I prefer the LCI interior.

Appreciate your input again mate, thanks.

Edited by Coyne
* It does now come up as white, but it's still a 2008 build car.*

I haven't viewed the video, but e61 seat's are quite hard wearing (mine is on 152k but the driver's seat looks more like 75k)

Must be a 550i V8 thing, sitting around in showrooms or storage.

Because on a 2007 build date that carbon black one should be a LCi, but it's the same inside as my 2006 55 plate.

My car was built in January 2006 & first registered in February.

You've got to trust your instincts BUT if you really want one & have been watching the market you know how rare they are, if it's not out of the question I'd take a day out to view it in person.

At least you'd know for certain then, otherwise you'll always be wandering.

The black 45k 2007 reg pre-LCI import on eBay is a September 06 build. 

The white LCI 2010 reg is a March 2008 build.

And just for interest's sake, the black 07 reg eBay LCI with the dodgy wheels and carbon interior bits is a November 2006 build.

I have been watching them for ages and I know they're rare, but I need to make the right choice. As you say, the cross over specs are odd - the white 2010 reg with a 2008 build date that doesn't have the last gen iDrive controller, the black 06 build with an 07 reg that's full LCI spec, and the black 06 build that's full pre LCI...

I am curious about the white one but it's almost 200 miles each way and I'm loathed to waste my time and money. I need to give the whole thing some serious thought.

Thanks for your input DDD.

I have seen both of those and do keep referring back to them. It's a bit of a toss up whichever way, each has their pluses and minuses. Obviously the first one has had some money spent on it whereas the second one is an LCI. There doesn't seem to be one car that covers all bases at the moment.

1 hour ago, Coyne said:

I have seen both of those and do keep referring back to them. It's a bit of a toss up whichever way, each has their pluses and minuses. Obviously the first one has had some money spent on it whereas the second one is an LCI. There doesn't seem to be one car that covers all bases at the moment.

Probably not enough of them on the roads to do that unfortunately

I'd personally be buying on overall condition & maintenance; it's that, that'll cost you more in the long run

Stuff like LCI lights and ICE can always be retrofitted, if so required

Good points. 

I'm giving my lease back early in the next couple of weeks (which is what I'll be replacing with a 550i). I have another car I can use anyway so I wonder if I ought to just wait and see if the perfect car appears on the market in the next few months.

Ugggh..  I dunno what to do.

I understand where Dan's coming from because I'd generally go for a well looked after example.

But both those car's have over double the millage of the other car's we talked about, one has had five owners.

Yes you can retro fit loads of stuff if you want it, except the later gearbox. 

But you can have XHP flashed & it makes it much more like a newer box.

I as mentioned & Dan has eluded to, also the seller's of the two Dan linked say in there adverts.

One state's 31 left on the road & the other says 23.

I don't know which is close to being right but also how many are for sale or going to come up for sale :?:

But I do know there a rare beast & your going to have some big costs running & maintaining one whichever route you go down.

I think it's called smiles per hour :)

I'd love one & my money would personally be one the lowest mileage best condition example I could afford.

That's not saying that the two Dan linked are bad car's or to avoid high mileage (mine own car was on 131k when I bought it, but it was the best I could afford) the LCi one is 8k

& the Carbon Black one was £9450

But my gut says £9k after viewing.

As much as I appreciate the point that buying on condition and maintenance is a good idea, I also intend to keep this car long term, make it my own and put some miles on it. If the car is already at 120k+ miles, there's less scope for me to do that. I'd rather purchase at the sub 50k mile point so I can be the one that puts the big miles on it, rather than someone else. I know that probably sounds odd, but it is what it is I guess. I've nothing against high milers, as I've owned them myself. The 56 plate example linked seems like a well cared for example. But on this occasion I am wanting to go for a low mileage, mint condition car if I can find one, just as you say you would prefer DDD.

I appreciate that they'll take some looking after and fueling. I've run an E39 540i and an E90 M3 previously so I am familiar with thirsty V8s. 

Again, thanks for your input DDD and Dan.

7 hours ago, Coyne said:

As much as I appreciate the point that buying on condition and maintenance is a good idea, I also intend to keep this car long term, make it my own and put some miles on it. If the car is already at 120k+ miles, there's less scope for me to do that. I'd rather purchase at the sub 50k mile point so I can be the one that puts the big miles on it, rather than someone else. I know that probably sounds odd, but it is what it is I guess. I've nothing against high milers, as I've owned them myself. The 56 plate example linked seems like a well cared for example. But on this occasion I am wanting to go for a low mileage, mint condition car if I can find one, just as you say you would prefer DDD.

I appreciate that they'll take some looking after and fueling. I've run an E39 540i and an E90 M3 previously so I am familiar with thirsty V8s. 

Again, thanks for your input DDD and Dan.

Sounds to me you've a healthy enough budget

Why don't you contact a few of the companies that import these and see if they can source you one in Japan and get it imported etc :) 

I know it'll be a wait; but you'll be starting with a fresh canvas then etc

That white one should tick the box; but there are things with it that don't sit right with me, I'd want to see it in the flesh, get the full ins and outs and then maybe make a cheeky offer from there, if it all adds up...

IMO the asking price is silly-high and that's why it's been sat around so long; it'll never sell until it drops to c£9k IMO

Funny you should say that, I've already spoken to Torque GT and Deane Motors Dublin to see if they can have a look what's about over in Japan. I also spoke to Seymour Pope who often have Japanese BMWs listed, but they've nothing like that on the way over and they don't actually do a personal import service.

I know what you mean about the white one, it's annoyingly close to what I'm after but something's off about it. I've mentioned to him that I think it's still too expensive but he reckons he sold an 07 plate 550i for £10k so there's no chance he'll go below that. I basically told him I'd be at £11k absolute max for it, and even that depends on it having the faulty HUD fixed (which isn't mentioned in the ad), probably a new battery cos it's been sat forever and it'll be buggered, and I'd also want any others issues sorted. He said he'd have to think about it but that was 2 days ago and I've still not heard back. That and the iffy looking seat, slightly questionable shades of paint across various panels and the fact that it's clearly filthy inside and out all make me wonder if it'd be a massive can of worms that's best avoided...

Edited by Coyne
Speeloing

37 minutes ago, Coyne said:

Funny you should say that, I've already spoken to Torque GT and Deane Motors Dublin to see if they can have a look what's about over in Japan. I also spoke to Seymour Pope who often have Japanese BMWs listed, but they've nothing like that on the way over and they don't actually do a personal import service.

I know what you mean about the white one, it's annoyingly close to what I'm after but something's off about it. I've mentioned to him that I think it's still too expensive but he reckons he sold an 07 plate 550i for £10k so there's no chance he'll go below that. I basically told him I'd be at £11k absolute max for it, and even that depends on it having the faulty HUD fixed (which isn't mentioned in the ad), probably a new battery cos it's been sat forever and it'll be buggered, and I'd also want any others issues sorted. He said he'd have to think about it but that was 2 days ago and I've still not heard back. That and the iffy looking seat, slightly questionable shades of paint across various panels and the fact that it's clearly filthy inside and out all make me wonder if it'd be a massive can of worms that's best avoided...

He's talking bollocks

For me, with that you've said he's come back to you with, I'd be out and keep looking

There are things with that white one that do not add up and aren't right... Save your £££ and keep looking ;) 

The UK one on ebay had most appeal for me to the extent it was in my watch list but the others were not.

Its not jap imports per se that put me off but i'm always a little sceptical.

I mean look at Dan's death trap.... B)